OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Red Dot or Green Dot

Started by Walnutbottomout, March 19, 2024, 02:50:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vintage

Ihuntoldschool

Early season, Green.

Red for late season/heavy foilage.

Notsoyoungturk

I have on with both red and green.  I will switch between them depending on the light, background, etc...   I tend to use the red more often.
A hunt based on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be - Fred Bear

grayfox

I've used both but prefer green.

RutnNStrutn

I have a "red-green" color deficiency which affects my color vision, but mainly red. According to the eye doc, this is a relatively common eye issue, especially for males. Therefore I go with green dots. To me, green stands out more, is brighter and doesn't blend in with background colors like red does.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: Dtrkyman on March 19, 2024, 04:11:26 PM
Green seems like it might wash out easier in the spring woods? 
Also green seems tougher on battery life.

I can see where you would think that, but it doesn't.
I use Trijicon Dual Illumination RMR dot scopes, therefore I don't have to worry about batteries. They are lit up with tritium and fiber optics, hence dual illumination.

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: Happy on March 19, 2024, 06:30:49 PM
Good-looking and Platinum level member of the Elitist club

Tom007

I aim at that bright red waddle. Hers my thought, Red on red, turkey dead.....I have all Red, red dots.....Just my preference. Either I'm sure is good.....
"Solo hunter"

Walnutbottomout

I ended up going with the holosun 507k x2 in green. Appreciate all of the opinions!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bottomland OG

I've got several some red, some green, and some you can change from one to the other. I will say when it comes to what you can see better, it's strictly depends on the person. Some see colors different. As for me I like the green but I have friends that borrow guns from time to time and some like the red.

TScottW99

Green for me, I see it easier and better than my red dots.
"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

Dtrkyman

Most aren't using an RMR and identical dot using green vs. red have drastically lower battery life.

One I was just looking at went from 30k max to 7k max hours just from the green dot!

Shoot what you see better!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tgilbert

Holosun 507C green works best for me.

Sir-diealot

I preferred green when I had one on my shotgun for deer hunting years ago, the scope did both but like others have said green is better if you have an astigmatism and I have one that is quite severe I guess. Not over thinking it at all.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

PalmettoRon

Have both and prefer green. Have the Holosun 510c-GR--love the circle/dot/ reticle arrangement. The same circle/dot/reticle arrangement comes in red as well.

I don't think there's a huge difference as both are far better than a bead, double bead or Tru Glo, Hi-Viz sights, but again having used both, will never go back to red.

If I were a few years younger, this would not even be an issue.