Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Tetra's for Turkey hunting: Anyone wearing them?

Started by Marc, March 16, 2024, 12:05:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crow

:icon_thumright:
Hunting gunshots are taking a toll, going to have to do something for it.

TBoo

bwhana.  Now that you have had them for a couple of weeks.  What are your thoughts?  I was close to pulling the trigger and then read a couple negatives.  Thanks again

bwhana

I really love them. I have heard gobblers at distances I never could before while listening in the previous mornings, with a couple of them being across a river (twice due to a huge oxbow) and a large pasture.

Our season opened this morning and nothing gobbled on the roost, but I did hear a few faint tree yelps at a long range that were 100% out of my normal hearing range.  I ended bringing home a nice tom. His last gobble sounded like he was on my shoulder, but was around 125 yds.  I wish I would have heard drumming, but he never strutted. There was no issue pinpointing where sounds were coming from at all. I was also able to hear his hens purring much further than I ever have too. It was very windy today and I did not hear any additional wind noise, unlike the walker headset I've been using.

I have the Amp Pods, which do not block the sound of the shot completely, but they made a huge difference and still provide some protection.

I will not be hunting without these from now on, $ well spent!

bwhana

I will add that I thought maximum boost would be the better of the 3 turkey levels, but found out quickly that the magnum mode was not needed and turkey boost was the sweet spot for me.  Base turkey mode seems to just make me hear like I could if I had perfectly normal hearing. This may be different person to person and would love for others to chime in on their experience with these settings.

TBoo

Congrats on your bird and thank you for the update!  May give them a call this week. 

VaGobbler

I ordered some Turkey Amppods 90s last week and they arrived over the weekend, so I used them for the first time today.  It was a bit breezy, and I didn't find them to be overly sensitive the the wind.  I will say, that I definitely heard turkeys further off than Saturday (opening day) and last season.  I also heard spitting and drumming for the first time in I don't know how long.  After a slow morning, I struck a call up at 9:20 and he gobbled and scared the crap out of me it was so loud, then heard the spitting and drumming and here he comes over the hill, right to the end of the barrel. My personal best Eastern to boot!  9/10 recommend so far after my first use.  We'll see if we can get to 10/10. 9 is due to them being a little difficult for me to repeat the program change successfully consistently and easily.

bwhana

I got the first chance to hear drumming yesterday and although it was not loud, I definitely was able to hear it with the Tetras. Also noticed that when he gobbled at 60 yds out, it was loud enough the ears cut it off at 85 decibels, so it was not as loud as without them. Good problem to have!  So far, I have been able to pinpoint the location of gobbles and other turkey sounds without any issues. These are a must have in my book.

TBoo

Do the AmpPods have volume controls separate for each ear?  Or are they like the Axil and have one control for both ears?  Hearing is good in one ear , however, the other is not good.  Thanks.

Tail Feathers

Quote from: TBoo on April 20, 2024, 07:47:44 AM
Do the AmpPods have volume controls separate for each ear?  Or are they like the Axil and have one control for both ears?  Hearing is good in one ear , however, the other is not good.  Thanks.
My turkey amppods have four settings.  Each ear can be set individually.

Clear Comm for regular speech.
Turkey
Turkey Boost
Turkey Magnum
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

merriamsman

Could someone with experience with the Tetras discuss why they chose the Amppod over the Alphashield or vice versa?

Tail Feathers

I did their on line hearing test.  Use good headphones for that per their recommendation.

Based on my test and desire for turkey only, they recommended Amppods.  I took their recommendation and have been quite pleased.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!