OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Tetra's for Turkey hunting: Anyone wearing them?

Started by Marc, March 16, 2024, 12:05:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arkrem870

They lower the unsafe sound to a safe range that won't cause hearing damage. You will still hear all the sounds.   I wear them duck hunting. Have the alpha shields.

bwhana

I had my FREE hearing test Friday before last at Sam's Club and talked to Amy at Tetra about which model I wanted. We chose the Turkey AmpPod 90 series and she gave me a 10% discount too. They have a 30 day 100% money back or you also return and apply the full $ spent on an upgraded model, so you can't go wrong.  For up to a year, you can also return for upgrade at 75% of your cost. She also said the Turkey program is their most sensitive and works very well for deer hunting too.

Mine arrived an hour ago and I am amazed at how well they work.  I am hearing things that I would miss normally, and they sound very natural, 1000% better than the Walker's I have. A side benefit is my tinnitus vanishes with them in and even for a bit after I take them out. Will be using them through the season (starts on the 13th here) and report back.  Right now, I'm kicking myself for not getting these years ago!

Cowboy

I've been looking hard at getting these as well. I've heard great things from everyone on Tetra.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

wareagle22

I've had a pair of the AmpPods for going on 3 years now and I love them.   I don't have any problems determining which direction the sound comes from either.  I had mine of "turkey" mode this morning and thought I heard a faint gobble.  I turned them up to "turkey boost" and could tell for sure it was a gobble.   I turned them up to "turkey magnum" and could hear him loud and clear.   I dropped a pin on him and started that way.   I caught up with him in a clearcut with some hens right after he flew down.   I checked it using HuntStand and he was just under 3/4 of a mile from me.   Granted it was across mostly clearcut but it was still a LONG ways away and I know for a fact that I would not have heard him without them.   They are well worth the cost!!!!

Tail Feathers

I used them several hunts last year and a good bit this year.  Hunting alone I can't say on judging distance yet but I feel like I'm pretty close in my guesstimating.

Coursing the gobble?  Thought I was doing great but a couple this spring make me wonder if I'm getting it right all the time.  I hunt alone but will test that when I take my grandson later in April. 
Worth the sizeable cost at many rate tho.  I use the turkey amp pods 90's.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

TBoo

Going to move this back up.  Hoping to hear more. (No pun intended)  Differences between Amp pods and the Alpha shields? Turkey or Multi-pursuit? 

bwhana

Quote from: TBoo on April 07, 2024, 07:56:36 AM
Going to move this back up.  Hoping to hear more. (No pun intended)  Differences between Amp pods and the Alpha shields? Turkey or Multi-pursuit?
The main difference in the shields or custom shields and the ampppds is the the former block all shot sounds completely. The amppods only block some of it due to the fit. The sound programs of the 90 amppods and the others are the same.  After talking with them about the models, I went with the amppods since I will not be using them on the range or in situations like duck hunting where many shots are fired and these are still better than no protection and drastically improve my hearing for birds.

Our season opens next Saturday and will post more as I learn in the woods.

TBoo

Ok.  Is it worth the extra $ to get the Multi pursuit, or is getting the Turkey Amp pods just fine for a turkey/deer hunter?  Thanks everyone for all the help.

bwhana

Quote from: TBoo on April 08, 2024, 10:14:35 AM
Ok.  Is it worth the extra $ to get the Multi pursuit, or is getting the Turkey Amp pods just fine for a turkey/deer hunter?  Thanks everyone for all the help.
In my discussions with them, they did indicate the turkey program is the most sensitive and will also work well for other pursuits.  I chose to go with it over the MP for that reason.  I will spend to get what I need on anything hunting related, but it seemed like a waste of my $ in this case.

Marc

Quote from: TBoo on April 08, 2024, 10:14:35 AM

I hunt waterfowl and upland as well...

I have now used all the programs with them...  Waterfowl, dove, pheasant, turkey.  With some hearing loss, I also use the "conversation" mode for personal use (now I can turn the TV down and hear it without waking the kids).

For me, it is difficult to tell what the difference is between each program, but I have not really experimented with it too much...  I do know that I can hear watefowl at distances I could not previously hear, and I can hear sounds from birds on the water that I did not even know they make.  Heard pheasants running in cover, and heard distant flushes I was immediately able to locate....

Thus far turkey hunting, I can hear them gobble at much further distances...  I have heard foot-steps of two birds on moist ground that went through some leaves.  I have heard spitting, but not drumming.  I am also hearing all kinds of birds, frogs, & bugs that I never heard before...

Were I hunting only deer and turkey, I do not think I would get the upgrade...  If you hunt a variety of game, I would think it is worth while.

I will say, that in, they improve my tinnitus...  But after wearing them all day, my tinnitus is worse upon removal.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

dixiemagnum80

I bought my multi-species amppods a year ago right before turkey started. Hoping to finally be able to hear what all my buddies were hearing, I headed to South Dakota for my first state of 4. After 2 days of hunting I realized I wasn't hearing anything that I wouldn't have heard without them. I had the same results through 3 other states and was extremely frustrated. I headed to New Mexico for elk season in October. My wife could hear the elk bugling but I could not. I contacted Tetra when I got home and sent the amppods, along with my hearing test result from my audiologist, in to be checked out. I received them a few weeks ago. The jury is still out. I haven't been able to use them much yet and Illinois turkey population is so low right now that gobbles are few and far between. I'm hoping that everything is as advertised and talked about on this thread for me now. My only recommendation to you is to go to an audiologist and get your own real hearing test done. I don't think the online test are nearly as accurate.. :z-twocents:

bwhana

Good point on the hearing test.  Even though they offer an online test, she highly recommended getting a professional test done. Sam's Club and Costco offer free tests and she said their quality is very good. I got mine at Sam's and have been happy with the stuff I'm hearing now that I would not be able to otherwise.

Marc

Quote from: crow on March 20, 2024, 08:12:20 PM
Will they block the sound from hand held mouth calls such as crow, trumpet and wingbone as they do for gunshots or make the sound louder.

It makes them louder.  Box call is quite loud.

On a related topic, I started to wear them at work to help my daily hearing...  We often have to put eyedrops in children, and many cry and "scream."  The Tetra's actually make the screaming MORE uncomfortably loud, as I suppose the decibel level is below the threshold for shut-off...

But when blowing my specklebelly goose call, it does reduce the volume to a more comfortable level (as the decibel level of this call likely surpassess the threshold).
Did I do that?

crow

Quote from: Marc on April 11, 2024, 11:42:21 AM
Quote from: crow on March 20, 2024, 08:12:20 PM
Will they block the sound from hand held mouth calls such as crow, trumpet and wingbone as they do for gunshots or make the sound louder.

It makes them louder.  Box call is quite loud.

On a related topic, I started to wear them at work to help my daily hearing...  We often have to put eyedrops in children, and many cry and "scream."  The Tetra's actually make the screaming MORE uncomfortably loud, as I suppose the decibel level is below the threshold for shut-off...

But when blowing my specklebelly goose call, it does reduce the volume to a more comfortable level (as the decibel level of this call likely surpassess the threshold).

Well that's not good news

I have a pair of electronic shooting muffs that block gunshots but amplify sound allowing you to have a conversation. Tried them for predator and crow hunting to block gunfire, but they didn't block handheld calls and magnified the noise to an uncomfortable level.

Was hoping tetras would muffle wingbone  or trumpet noise

Did your tinnitus go back to normal the next day or stay worse than normal

Marc

Quote from: crow on April 12, 2024, 09:27:45 PM
Well that's not good news

I have a pair of electronic shooting muffs that block gunshots but amplify sound allowing you to have a conversation. Tried them for predator and crow hunting to block gunfire, but they didn't block handheld calls and magnified the noise to an uncomfortable level.

Was hoping tetras would muffle wingbone  or trumpet noise

Did your tinnitus go back to normal the next day or stay worse than normal

If the sound is under the decibel cutoff, it amplifies it, if it is over the decibel level it blocks it.  Does a great job of supressing gunfire, and as I stated some of my goose calls...

You might be able to program supression of your trumpet and wingbone, but it will also likely surpress live hen calls???

It takes a minute to get used to calling with any mouth blown call with (any) ear plugs in...  Had to relearn to call waterfowl, but the turkey diaphragm was an easier adjustment for me.

I called Tetra, and they state "that since your tinnitus is supressed while wearing them, it seems much louder again when you take them out and hear the tinnitus again; you get used to not hearing it which makes it seem louder when you do."

My tinnitus seems to vary under different conditions as well...  Ringing like he!! right now likely due to the storm front coming in.  I also learned that NSAIDs (such as Naproxen) can make it worse, which seems to be true in my case.

I would still purchase them...  It has made my hunting experience much better.  Hearing all kinds of critters as well as the game I am hunting.
Did I do that?