Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Tetra's for Turkey hunting: Anyone wearing them?

Started by Marc, March 16, 2024, 12:05:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc

I bit the bullet last duck season, and purchased what is now my most expensive single piece of hunting equipment (including my gun)...

Wish I had done it a lot sooner!  Used some other less expensive devices, but Tetra is the real deal.  I have tinnitus, and some mild hearing loss worse in my left ear...  They are customized to my hearing loss for each ear.

My first time hunting with them, I could not believe the sounds I had been missing.  Although it did take some time to get used to hearing waterfowl too far away to see, and feeling like they should almost be in shooting range.

Calling (ducks/geese) with Tetra's in was my biggest issue, and I am finding I am going to have to practice for turkey as well (especially the diaphragm)...  The right sound, no longer sounds "right."

Very much looking forward to my first turkey season wearing them, and wondering what the thoughts were of anyone else on the board who is wearing them for turkey hunting?
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Nathan_Wiles

I've been wearing the customs for 3 seasons. Turkey. Deer and Ducks. Definitely makes a difference in what I hear in the woods and how I hear my calling. I'm not a great caller, but I can sound like a turkey mostly. I found it worthwhile to practice with the Tetra's. I'm missing the high-frequency stuff more in my left than right, which is a pretty common problem, I think. Hearing the full range again from live birds made me realize my calling was even less realistic than it had been when I was younger and heard better.

Ranging Gobbling turkeys will be a learning curve like ducks.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

HunterMan

I do and now I don't have to listen to my grandson asking me if I heard that one.

Tail Feathers

Bought some last year.  Very pleased with them.  I'm hearing gobbles from distances I hadn't in years.  Expensive but worth it.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Gobbler-one

For those who have used them. I read that ranging would be a learning curve. How difficult is it to coarse or get a direction when you hear a gobble?

Nathan_Wiles

Quote from: Gobbler-one on March 17, 2024, 07:37:42 AM
For those who have used them. I read that ranging would be a learning curve. How difficult is it to coarse or get a direction when you hear a gobble?
It took me a couple of weeks the first season to get used to the sounds and distance. It was almost overwhelming when I first got in the woods, so much had been missing from what i could hear. I set up way long a few times and blew a couple off the limb next. I also scared a couple out of the county up in the day. For me, they were about twice as far as I thought they were with Tetra's. It's probably different for everyone. Before Tetra's, I had to be less than 500yds. to hear em anyway, under 300yds. to pinpoint them.
I can hear em further than I wanna walk now.

Marc

Quote from: Gobbler-one on March 17, 2024, 07:37:42 AM
Having used them for duck, dove, and upland...  Directionality is great.

Judging how far they are takes some getting used to.  I found myself constantly looking for birds I could hear, but were far more distant than I thought.

My biggest concern turkey hunting is losing the little ear buds.
Also going after birds three miles away.

And I am wondering about:
*Any new sounds (chirping and subtle clucks, etc.)
*How well does drumming come across with Tetra's in?
*Do squirrels running in the grass sound like a bigfoot coming up on you?
*How far away can you hear turkeys walking in silently (actually hearing the footsteps)?
Did I do that?

TBoo

Interested in the Tetras also. Which model are you all using? 

Nathan_Wiles

Nathan_Wiles

*Any new sounds (chirping and subtle clucks, etc.) Yep, had some close hens and jakes last year, unreal all the subtle stuff happening as they fed by me.

*How well does drumming come across with Tetra's in? I can hear it. It's still more of a feeling in my chest after the spit. 60-80 yards out, I guess, unnerves me every time.
*Do squirrels running in the grass sound like a bigfoot coming up on you? At first, maybe, but now they sound like squirrels and deer like deer.
*How far away can you hear turkeys walking in silently (actually hearing the footsteps)? Terrain depending, i.e. crunch leaves vs. Pine straw...50-60 yds. In leaves.

Spurs

Quote from: Nathan_Wiles on March 17, 2024, 07:52:37 PM
*Any new sounds (chirping and subtle clucks, etc.) Yep, had some close hens and jakes last year, unreal all the subtle stuff happening as they fed by me.

*How well does drumming come across with Tetra's in? I can hear it. It's still more of a feeling in my chest after the spit. 60-80 yards out, I guess, unnerves me every time.
*Do squirrels running in the grass sound like a bigfoot coming up on you? At first, maybe, but now they sound like squirrels and deer like deer.
*How far away can you hear turkeys walking in silently (actually hearing the footsteps)? Terrain depending, i.e. crunch leaves vs. Pine straw...50-60 yds. In leaves.

Tinnitus has slowly overtaken me also and I have been looking hard at Tetras.  Biggest questions I had were answered here except are there any tips?  I saw the molded ones vs the standard OSFM type.  Any thoughts on these?  Also, I plan to strictly use them for turkey hunting and maybe duck, but is there a huge difference in those frequencies or does the turkey setup work just fine for both?
This year is going to suck!!!

Nathan_Wiles

I have the dreaded tinnitus as well...constant sounds seems to help mine, complete silence isn't good, but some sound to listen too seems to help quiet mine down.
I went with the custom fit version for the gunshot protection and the programming option. There is definitely a difference in what i hear on each program. I would say turkey would work across the board. But having different programs for deer, waterfowl, elk, turkey, range, and normal that is specifically tuned to help me hear what my ears can't is pretty cool.

harleytom

I have tinnitus as well as hearing loss. I've been using Tetras for about 3 - 4 years and would just as soon leave my gun at home as go in the woods without them. I've tried Axil's but got more white noise with them. I think the key is the hearing test you do which helps pinpoint your particular needs as to enhancements. They are expensive but like we always say, look how much we spend on guns, shells, clothes and other gadgets, your first point of contact with a bird is your ears. If you can't hear him how are you going to hunt him? Just my personal opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marc

Quote from: Spurs on March 20, 2024, 03:50:54 PM

Tinnitus has slowly overtaken me also and I have been looking hard at Tetras.  Biggest questions I had were answered here except are there any tips?  I saw the molded ones vs the standard OSFM type.  Any thoughts on these?  Also, I plan to strictly use them for turkey hunting and maybe duck, but is there a huge difference in those frequencies or does the turkey setup work just fine for both?

I also have tinnitus.  Tetra's make a huge difference for dove, duck, and pheasant hunting so far....

I purchased the Alpha Shields customized...  Were I to do it over, I would get the molded.

My main concern is losing them if they fall out.  Moldeds are less likely to fall out, and easier to find if they do.  I also understand they are a bit more comfortable...  I would actually like to have them linked to my phone which can also be done with the molded.
Did I do that?

crow

Will they block the sound from hand held mouth calls such as crow, trumpet and wingbone as they do for gunshots or make the sound louder.