OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Shooting Daylight is 6:00 AM?

Started by Tom007, March 12, 2024, 07:29:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mlee3553

If I'm hunting a field edge and have roosted a bird the night before, I like to be all set up and ready to go 30-40 before first light, if I'm in the woods and I'm going in cold I'll be there 15-20 minutes before they normally start gobbling and just go from there.
In wildness is preservation of the world so seek the wolf in thyself

Treerooster

I like to get out early just because I love dawns and observing everything that goes on during the change rom dark to light.

I've heard and read about the "wise" move of waiting until later in the morning to hunt as that's when most turkeys are killed. No thank you. I wouldn't want to miss a dawn. Being out extremely early is one of the things that made me a diehard.

GobbleNut

Quote from: Treerooster on March 15, 2024, 01:39:36 PM
I like to get out early just because I love dawns and observing everything that goes on during the change rom dark to light.

I've heard and read about the "wise" move of waiting until later in the morning to hunt as that's when most turkeys are killed. No thank you. I wouldn't want to miss a dawn. Being out extremely early is one of the things that made me a diehard.

Yup, have said the same thing many a time.  Regardless of whether I think I will likely be more successful later on in the day, missing out on being out there at daybreak to watch the woods and its inhabitants wake up is not an option for me. 

That is "quadrupally" important when hunting unfamiliar territory, which some of us do often.  You will learn more in that first hour or two of daylight in those situations than in all the rest of the day put together.

Clif Owen

I guess I fall into a different situation. In the past few years, you need to be parked at your spot 2 hours before daylight or more than likely, someone else will be. I really don't understand where these people came from....40 years ago, it was rare to even hear a truck drive into the boat landing. I had it all to myself and was young enough and energetic enough to take full advantage. Now...not so much. Throw in the fact that even if you ARE the lucky? guy who gets first choice; there's a fair chance that the bird you are after roosted somewhere else the night before. I've never been able to pick a definite pattern to that but they never seem to roost in the same spot (sometimes same area) 2 nights in a row