Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Paper puncher or hunter

Started by 3seasons, March 14, 2024, 04:57:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

3seasons

I've been building turkey guns for a long time and loading shells since 2012. I usually get one of two type people when they ask me to build their gun and shell combo. Some get caught up on the numbers and holes in a 10" circle and want to be able to shoot out to 60+yds(not my cup of tea but I do what the customer wants .
Some want a solid hunting gun. More my style, good uniform no void in the  pattern covering about 20" at 40yds

Beings season starts in the morning I figure I'd better actually shoot my gun since I've been working on a pile of other folks and haven't put it in the lineup.   I've been playing with different loads and figured I'd give one more a go just to see how it goes and figuring if I got it right it's gonna be nasty. 

I haven't counted holes in prob 5 years but for the heck of it I'll prob count these just to see.  Lasered 40yds form the end of the barrel. I'm not shooting it because I shake to much and I'd miss with that. But she will eat for sure.

Any thoughts on what to call it?
20ga  1.5oz #9's
The Field Bird
The Hanger ( for the one that hangs up but you'll
Still get to hang him over you're shoulder)

Which pattern do you prefer. Paper punchers or hunters

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roost 1

That's a great pattern for sure. Good luck in the morning.

bwhana

Both are great!  I have two guns I use with one setup similar to the top pattern and the other more like  the bottom.  The top one always goes with me when I know I will be on field birds or wide open hardwoods.

paintbrush

I've never been one for pellet counting, just like a nice even pattern with no holes in the pattern, so the hunters pattern would be for me. Either way, thats one very dead turkey!

callaway71

Good luck! Hope you break the ice for the team.

3seasons

Well that didn't take long for me to remember why I don't count holes any more . But I finally got through it.   426

zelmo1

Dont change a thing, great hunting pattern. I counted one this year and it was a waste of time, lol. A good pattern is what it is, no numbers needed. Good luck tomorrow bro. Z :funnyturkey: