Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

First Up!

Started by JeffC, March 12, 2024, 07:39:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JeffC

Good luck this weekend Muzzy and snowman, hope you both have a safe and successful hunt this weekend!! :anim_25:
How did your youth hunt go Muzzy?
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

backforty

Get us on the board gentlemen or ladies or whatever gender you prefer. So confusing these days.
Print by Madison, on Flickr

Muzzy61

Quote from: JeffC on March 12, 2024, 07:39:30 PM
Good luck this weekend Muzzy and snowman, hope you both have a safe and successful hunt this weekend!! :anim_25:
How did your youth hunt go Muzzy?

The youth hunt went ok. No kill, but we had fun. Saw several hens and had a group of jakes come put on a show with the decoys. We had two gobblers at a distance that would gobble to my calls for almost two hours, but they never budged from where they were. Too wet to try and move on them with my grandson.

It's super wet here and we had another 5 inches of rain this week as well the birds seem to be henned up right now. Not sure what to expect, but ready to give a try.

JeffC

Good luck today Muzzy and snowman, wish you both a safe and successful hunt today. Post up the good or bad of today's hunt.

Muzzy61

I was lucky enough to take a bird on opening morning today. I was hunting an intersection where the birds like to strut for time to time. I heard two birds gobbling on the roost but they were 300 or 400 yards away. A little after 8:00 I made a call and had one hammer it. At he end of the road is a small head with pines behind it. He was in the pines about 120 yards away. I called again and he hammered it again.
Less than a minute later he came around the head into the road. He then did what 2 year old's do. He made a bee line to the decoys strutting all the way. 
It was a quick but fun hunt. Now I got to get my grandson on a bird.

notsure

Congratulations Muzzy! Way to start off the 2024 season!

JeffC

Congrats Muzzy, look forward to the pictures. Good luck on getting your grandson a bird.

Muzzy61

Quote from: JeffC on March 17, 2024, 07:32:08 AM
Congrats Muzzy, look forward to the pictures. Good luck on getting your grandson a bird.

I'll have to check when a get home. I posted them last night and everything looked ok.

JeffC

Awesome job on the pictures, I wasnt awake yet when I saw your kill, " looking forward to seeing your grandsons' bird..". Was snowman hunting at your club?

Muzzy61

Quote from: JeffC on March 17, 2024, 05:42:15 PM

Awesome job on the pictures, I wasnt awake yet when I saw your kill, " looking forward to seeing your grandsons' bird..". Was snowman hunting at your club?
Yes, he was on birds yesterday but not in range. Today was slow not much action.

GobbleNut

:icon_thumright:  Congrats on your gobbler, Muzzy! 

Muzzy61

snoman4

Hunting with my other half and 8 year old so it's blind hunting, which I hate.

We had a close call Saturday but birds hung up at 65 yards.  3 long beards.  Sunday was slow.  Today was great.  Hunting with friends and had the 3 long beards at 45 yards but no shot it was too thick.

JeffC

Thanks for update, at least you're into birds, just a matter of time... good luck.

snoman4

Quote from: JeffC on March 18, 2024, 03:45:55 PM
Thanks for update, at least you're into birds, just a matter of time... good luck.
I won't hunt for myself until this coming up weekend.  I will be calling for others.