News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Turkey hunting the eclipse

Started by ChesterCopperpot, February 12, 2024, 05:21:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcw3734

Quote from: blake_08 on February 13, 2024, 12:24:59 PM
Is anyone concerned with traveling around the eclipse time? I had told my oldest son I would take him to Missouri youth hunting if he did good on a project he's working on. Now I'm concerned about having to go back on it as youth season is the weekend before the eclipse. I know the interstates are going to be more busy, but I'd hate to get up there and not be able to buy gas to get back home or something. May be nothing to worry about, but everyone is predicting it to be pretty bad. I live right in the path of totality.

I was here in Idaho during the 2017 eclipse and everybody was preparing for, and expecting, the worse. Turned out to largely be a nothing burger. Some traffic issues right after it had passed, but not a big deal at all. I certainly wouldn't change your plans.

To each their own, but... witnessing the eclipse was one of the wildest things I've ever seen. I've got tickets to San Antonio to see it this time around. Just know that you need to be within (and preferably in the very center of) the path of totality. I knew plenty of people here that were like "Ah, it's going to be 97% here in Boise, that's good enough, I'll just stay home". But I'm telling you, it's not. They were all very disappointed.

joey46

Wife is on a social media site (sewing) daily that originates in Houston Texas.  Word there is that many motels and campgrounds have added a $$$$ premium to their rates for eclipse time. One claimed the rates have doubled .Be aware.

jhoward11

I'm going to be right in the total darkness when it happens. I wish it would happen during hunting season, then I could roost the bird twice in one day:)

762hunter

I'm in Tn. Our season opens on the 6th, may have to take that day off work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turkeygod4

I'll be in the line of totality here in Texas and plan on being out there hunting. I myself am more interested in what the birds will do during this time. I assume they will be thrown off by this event and I would not be surprised if they find a tree to fly up in during the darkness.

TRG3

I live on the Southern Illinois/ Southern Indiana line along the Wabash River right on the direct path of the eclipse. My first spring turkey season comes in on Monday, April 8th, the day of the event. My favorite place to hunt is some 25 miles away, but I'll probably stay close to home where I can drive the back roads if I need to stay late in the morning.

Sixes