Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Thoughts? Opinions? Questions? Post those here

Started by Zobo, March 10, 2024, 09:28:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zobo

If you have something in general to say to our team members this is the thread for it. Can just be anecdotes or stories really about anything pertaining to the contest or how your 2024 season's going.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Zobo

Congratulations to squidd on the first bird posted!!!! Nice hooks on that sucker! Way to go, way to show them we are not playing games here!!!!!! :blob10:

ScottTaulbee

Squid congrats to you buddy!.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TrackeySauresRex

"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

greentrout

Looking to buy Allen Dunfee scratch boxes.

squidd

Hey good luck to the guys starting this weekend - work weekend at hunt camp so I'll only be able to listen and look-bummer!!

Zobo

Attention to all Longbeards (aka the best of the best, the elite if you will) :
We have to post our pictures properly or we will lose points. Make sure before you post, you read the posting rules carefully. I will try to summarize the main points here:

1. This is an "all in good fun" contest with no reward, so please be honest.

2. Pictures must be posted within 7 days or harvest.

3. One picture must clearly show the hunter in the picture with the bird.

4. You must show the gobbler on a scale for weight.

5. You need a picture of the beard length, from hairline to tip of longest "hair feather"  with a tape ruler in the picture.

6. Likewise you need to show each spur length measurement with the tape ruler running around the outside curve.

7. And finally you need to show a piece of paper with your screen name, harvest date, and all your accurate written measurements

8. In order to score your bird, all measurements should be converted to decimal form (see Shannon's chart, it's easy) and then tallied up using scoring calculator to give you your score. I will enter your score next to your name in the running score thread. If you kill a "better" bird I will replace your score with the higher scoring bird.

9. At the end of the competition our top nine birds team birds (only 1 per hunter) will be used to determine or team score.

If anyone needs help scoring or converting numbers or posting anything I will help you. If anyone reads this and wants to add or correct something I wrote please feel free to help! This is all new to me too. Thanks!

squidd

Thanks Zobo and added a self portrait - so a screen shot of the scoring tool with a written note will not count as legit, it must be on a piece of paper?

Zobo

Quote from: squidd on March 11, 2024, 04:51:41 PM
Thanks Zobo and added a self portrait - so a screen shot of the scoring tool with a written note will not count as legit, it must be on a piece of paper?

I think you got it. You don't show a scale shot for weight, but you put in 14 lbs the default low weight. It looks good to me. I'm going to post your score

GobbleNut

:icon_thumright:  :icon_thumright: First bird up!  Congrats squidd!  Team Longbeards off to a quick start.   :you_rock:

greentrout

A quiet morning. This a new spot I am considering hunting this season. Too much road traffic to listen for birds. Going to have to do all my scouting by foot.

Looking to buy Allen Dunfee scratch boxes.

Jwall

Do you boys run a trumpet? I bought one from Jack "pappy" Lewis several years ago and believe I'm going to pull it back out this season. I definitely need the practice.

squidd

@ greentrout - feel your your pain and especially if it's a school bus or truck!!

@ Jwall - mainly homemade wingbones and pot calls. I have everything else except a scratch box and push pin, just don't use them

ScottTaulbee

Quote from: Jwall on March 12, 2024, 11:41:41 AM
Do you boys run a trumpet? I bought one from Jack "pappy" Lewis several years ago and believe I'm going to pull it back out this season. I definitely need the practice.

I can run a trumpet but I've had very limited success with one, not enough to make me intentionally carry it every hunt. I really like a Wingbone. I picked up a couple of EZ's and those things are so much better sounding than any trumpet I've bought. I'll definitely be carrying one of those this season

Jwall

I went and scouted two properties in Mississippi this morning and they are so overgrown with briars they aren't huntable. I didn't hear and birds either so I guess I'm back to waiting on Tennessee opener.