OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

.410 only?

Started by Bowtie747, March 07, 2024, 07:47:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bowtie747

Looking for opinions here from you turkey pros. I love using a .410 for turkeys. Trendy or not I really just love the fact tss can make a .410 a lethal Turkey gun. Ik lead worked too but anyways. I in the back of my mind feel I'm limiting myself going into a season with only a .410 or two setup. Ik some states don't even allow .410's but none that I plan on going to that Ik off. Would any of you guys be bothered by a being .410 only for a season?

Dtrkyman

Nope!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom007

My state doesn't allow 410's. My sub-gauge is a Sweet 16. It weighs just over 5 pounds and throws an awesome pattern at over 1200 fps. It has no kick, so I have no reason to look any further.....
"Solo hunter"

Bowtie747

Quote from: Tom007 on March 07, 2024, 07:52:34 PM
My state doesn't allow 410's. My sub-gauge is a Sweet 16. It weighs just over 5 pounds and throws an awesome pattern at over 1200 fps. It has no kick, so I have no reason to look any further.....

What state is that pal? Only state I've seen so far for sure is Illinois I believe

Gooserbat

I'd opt for a Marlin smoothbore 22 long rifle model 39 and load some #12 tss for the ultimate challenge of 15 yards or closer.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Magdump

Not at all! 

From what I have found, anything larger than .410 for turkey is completely unnecessary.

From my extensive testing, I have found that, in my gun anyway, this Winchester Double X Diamond Grade lead load is absolutely good to go to 25 yards but no further.  I tested many lead .410 loads and none of them could beat this load.

Want out to 40?  Easy, pick a TSS load that your gun likes. 

In my quest to get all the states, I only go larger than .410 if state law requires it.  And luckily those states seem to get fewer each year.

Magdump

Quote from: Bowtie747 on March 07, 2024, 07:56:07 PM

What state is that pal? Only state I've seen so far for sure is Illinois I believe

Delaware and NJ for sure.  I bet there are others.

And I hope these two change to allow sub gauges by next season (2025)!  Vermont recently changed to allow sub gauges and I was able to check that state off the first year they allowed .410.  Slowly, more states are seeing the light.

joey46

I jump back and forth between my .410 with Apex TSS and my 870 12 ga with Apex TSS. Almost always depending on the length of the day's walk to the area I'll be hunting.  Since I normally always use a decoy set at a stepped off 25 paces range is not an issue.  The .410 works.  The 12 ga works. Don't consider the .410 a handicap.

Tom007

Quote from: Bowtie747 on March 07, 2024, 07:56:07 PM

New Jersey only allows 10-20 gauge, no shot smaller than 7.5.....
"Solo hunter"

vt35mag

I wouldn't hesitate only using a 410 with TSS. That's probably the way this season is going to go for me.
Started rolling my own straight 10s, so I can't wait to try them out!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Tom007

Quote from: vt35mag on March 08, 2024, 06:31:47 AM
I wouldn't hesitate only using a 410 with TSS. That's probably the way this season is going to go for me.
Started rolling my own straight 10s, so I can't wait to try them out!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Very nice job on your hand loads and real nice gun there....
"Solo hunter"

btodd00

Ive killed my last 7 or so with a 410 and my son has killed several. used browning tss, apex tss and my handloaded number 10's all have worked well

up until last year all our 410's were single shots, I bought a mossberg 500 in 410 that had the optic cutout when those came out. It sure doesnt feel as handy to carry around as those single shots do, It weighs almost as much as my 20gauge

Greg Massey

I don't think it really matters as long as you pattern and use the right shells and know what it's capable of doing for the different areas your going to hunt.

mississippislip

I used my .410 two years ago all season it did feel weird but it also patterns better at 45yd than my 12ga with cheap lead loads used to so I definitely don't feel under gunned just something about that little pop gun with no recoil that doesn't feel right hahaha