Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Listening for Gobbles

Started by aclawrence, March 08, 2024, 08:09:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aclawrence

Hey teammates has anyone been out listening for gobbles yet?  I haven't had a chance yet but I'm really wanting to pin down a few birds before the youth and regular season opener.  My brother went out yesterday to some new land and heard 10 gobblers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tomtom97

Went out this morning to listen and didn't hear them, but saw 2 long beards, 3 jakes, and 10 hens fly down in the field beside me. Got to watch them strut around for a minute.

Kygobblergetter

I haven't been able to listen yet. I stay pretty busy before season. My dad listens off his front porch on nice mornings and heard some this week

birdman67

I have been out a couple times. Haven't heard one yet. Youth season opened here Friday. It rained all day and rained Saturday. Monday and Tuesday look better. I plan on taking my daughter out. My neighbor heard one last week and said it was right behind my house. Hoping to hear that first gobble in the next few days.
Loving God's Creation!

aclawrence

Quote from: birdman67 on March 10, 2024, 07:43:35 AM
I have been out a couple times. Haven't heard one yet. Youth season opened here Friday. It rained all day and rained Saturday. Monday and Tuesday look better. I plan on taking my daughter out. My neighbor heard one last week and said it was right behind my house. Hoping to hear that first gobble in the next few days.
We only get one morning until 1:00 for our youth hunt. I wish we had a little more time. I'd love to get my son on a bird.

birdman67

Dang they make it hard on the kids. One morning is not really a youth season at all. We get a week for youth here in MS for turkey and 2 weeks for deer.
Loving God's Creation!

Brianb3006

The gobbles have begun in MS. Things are warming up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

turkey harvester

Quote from: aclawrence on March 10, 2024, 11:31:33 PM
Quote from: birdman67 on March 10, 2024, 07:43:35 AM
We only get one morning until 1:00 for our youth hunt. I wish we had a little more time. I'd love to get my son on a bird.

We're only gonna have 1 morning this youth season also. I'll be gone on a school trip for opener, so were gonna try to get 2 killed the last day. One good thing though, a couple of my brothers students participated in a predator hunt and used our turkey spot. Took 15 yotes off the place. landowner said they were starting to gobble. But then again we heard em on Dec.9th gobbling while we deer hunted, lol.
TURKEY NUT CUSTOM STRIKERS- Jeffrey Thompson-Owner.  Kathleen,GA
Hunt with your kids, not for them.

Hunt with your kids, not for them.

Moore

I'm planning to go out and scout some new properties this weekend. Season looks really good since we had very little snow in  MN.
[

dzsmith

Working a shutdown . Haven't been able to listen but I know where some will be. As too how long they will be there being I only get 1 poke at them a week... I don't know. But I have high hopes for the opener which is an off day for me. Unfortunately rain opening weekend. Current forecast doesn't show it starting until lunch in my area on the opener , which I would have to call it quits at lunch anyway because I work nightshift
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

dzsmith

youd think they were on fire here at home with the banner harvest rate for the first 2 days of our opener. I didnt see or hear anything to suggest that...but my gosh it was murder in these parts
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

aclawrence

Quote from: dzsmith on March 17, 2024, 12:11:32 AM
youd think they were on fire here at home with the banner harvest rate for the first 2 days of our opener. I didnt see or hear anything to suggest that...but my gosh it was murder in these parts
Well maybe it saved a few birds for a while. I'm hoping to find a gobbler to chase that you can't hear from any roads for the opener.

Moore

I went out today and walked a new property I have gained access to today. I learned it  would be fine for deer and trapping but that's about it. As I was heading home I spotted a good flock that I will have to check out later.
[

Kygobblergetter

I went on a ski trip with the wife and some friends this weekend and then working all week before heading to Florida to start hunting. I haven't gotten to listen but my brother listened at the private farm we hunt yesterday and said at least 4 were gobbling pretty good on the limb

aclawrence

Quote from: Kygobblergetter on March 18, 2024, 09:27:10 AM
I went on a ski trip with the wife and some friends this weekend and then working all week before heading to Florida to start hunting. I haven't gotten to listen but my brother listened at the private farm we hunt yesterday and said at least 4 were gobbling pretty good on the limb

That's good news