turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Mouth call Stretch?

Started by bbcoach, March 06, 2024, 08:44:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbcoach

I want to pose another question and maybe I'm the weak link in this cog but why don't we talk about stretch when we talk about mouth calls?  We have talked about finding our airflow but stretch is never talked about.  I, through trial and error, have found that I am a center airflow caller.  So for me, a batwing, split V and ghost cut are my Go To calls.  Last spring, I tried 2 different calls from 2 different Call manufacturers and found a low / light stretch call that has taken my calling to a whole different level.  I believe the low stretch call has allowed me to improve ALL of my soft calling greatly because I have found CALLS that are much easier to blow.  With this decrease in diaphragm air pressure, I have found that I am able to CONTROL the airflow so much easier and that makes purring, bubble clucks, feeding calls, whines and whistles a lot easier to produce and maintain.  I'm curious, what each of you think on this subject?  Maybe the diaphragm callmakers can chime in and give us some Enlightenment. 

RustyBarrels

Seems like I have begun to see a couple of makers specifying the reed tension. Could this become the norm?  I could see it happening.
Esp if enough people mention it on tiktok

compton30

There's a lot of variables when it comes to making mouth yelpers. Stacking the material, different side tensions, applying the frame, amount of back tension, and the cut of the call. I don't think anyone would claim they can build an identical call every single time out. Too much "eye balling" goes into it for that. Maybe others can, I'm not gonna buy 40 of their calls and audit them. It's difficult.

In my opinion, the cut is the single most important variable in terms of how a call is going to sound. When you have the right cut for you and the call, and proper seal, a call is just going to sound better and will be easier to run.

Side tension does play an important roll for sure, but if the top cut isn't right for you, the call is never going to realize the potential the call maker designed it to have.

GobbleNut

Another major factor in the amount of tension needed is the thickness of the material(s) used for the reeds.  Generally speaking, the thicker the latex used, especially in the primary/top reed, the more tension that is needed to get the reed to produce the proper tonal qualities.  Conversely, the thinner materials require less stretch/tensioning. 

I haven't paid a lot of attention recently to the myriad commercial call makers and their products, but I am not aware that many, if any, of them describe the materials thicknesses of the various reeds in their calls.  The combinations of reed thicknesses put in a call can play a major role in the sound the call will produce.  Throw in the factors that Ben (compton30) mentions above and things can get complicated really quickly with mouth calls. 

Your comment, bbcoach, about lightly stretched reeds in calls being easier to use is right on. But, the key to that is that the reed thicknesses used in the call generally needs to be the very thin stuff (from proph-type materials up to about .003 thickness stuff).  Some of the easiest calls to run and produce those soft, realistic calls requiring minimal air pressure are simple calls made out of thin material (one or two reeds) and stretched very lightly.  Combine the right cut with that call design and you can have a killer combination.  :icon_thumright:

bbcoach

I'm ALL ears Gentlemen!  This is the kind of Feedback that I was hoping to get with the question I posed.  I hope others with wisdom and knowledge will join in.

Gooserbat

After a lot of call building ill just say some people are better at it than others.  And some people care more than others.  I personally can feel the difference in stretch before I can hear it.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

RustyBarrels

^that jogged my memory.  It was definitely Gooserbats website where I had seen talk of varying stretch.  Interesting stuff, been tempted to jump down that rabbit hole.

bbcoach

Thanks Sam and RB.  I appreciate your comments.  IMO, if you know your airflow and have a particular cut that you can call well with the stretch really isn't a rabbit hole.   

RustyBarrels

Im speaking about myself in regards to the rabbit hole. Throw in a new factor and I can tend to over think things Id never even considered before.

NOmad

I agree with Gooserbat, pressing mouth calls is a pretty involved process and it really comes down to someone caring about the calls they produce and someone that just wants to make mouth calls. A lot of production calls seem to be stretched really tight these days but I think part of that is a product of the crazy cuts we are seeing now too (some of the ones on the market today would take me an hour to do half a dozen).

Personally, I like a light (extremely light compared to a lot out there) tension and a modified reverse combo cut. When experimenting building new yelpers I start with a low tension that I personally like and test the call with a V CUT, then a REVERSE COMBO, then a MODIFIED REVERSE COMBO, then a BATWING. I can usually take the info I get from those tests with just one yelper that I can get pretty close to the right formula on the second try.

As far as tension being a rabbit hole, I am already there LOL

bbcoach

You guys are Great!  All of you have given us some really good feedback.  It seems to me after talking to one of you personally by phone and hearing the feedback from the rest, there is something to be said for the tension on our calls.  Up until I posed this question, I had never heard anyone mention tension.  I personally just grabbed a call and tried to control it to the best of my ability.  Many of you are like me and prefer a lower stretched call.  Maybe this thread will get more hunters that are struggling with their calling, to try different stretches.  Thanks again gentlemen!   

aclawrence

I've also found a light stretch call that has become my favorite. It's even a ghost cut that never worked for me before. It's a lot easier to do the soft stuff on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk