Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Season start?

Started by JeffC, March 06, 2024, 07:54:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

austinc

I killed one thus morning,  pics to come when I get better service.

lacire

Congratulations looking forward to the pictures.  :icon_thumright:
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

JeffC

Congrats lacire . love the picture with your Son!! Wheres the story???
Got the Tom loaded into the team score, Congrats again.

JeffC

Quote from: austinc on April 06, 2024, 06:31:27 PM
I killed one thus morning,  pics to come when I get better service.

Congrats! will be waiting on pictures and story!

lacire

Quote from: JeffC on April 06, 2024, 09:18:09 PM

Ok... I'll see if I can put together a few lies and come up with a story for you.  :TooFunny:

Zobo

Quote from: lacire on April 07, 2024, 11:51:07 AM

Ok... I'll see if I can put together a few lies and come up with a story for you.  :TooFunny:

I'm sure it'll come easy for you! :wave:

Seriously though, Congrats!

Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Muzzy61

Congrats, that's a good bird !

lacire

Quote from: Zobo on April 07, 2024, 12:05:55 PM

I'm sure it'll come easy for you! :wave:

Seriously though, Congrats!

Very easy  :TooFunny:

lacire

Quote from: Muzzy61 on April 08, 2024, 08:44:14 AM

Congrats, that's a good bird !

Thank you.

lacire

Well, Jeff wants a story  :blob10: and as we all know sometimes stories are not all true  :TooFunny:. But to the best of my recollection this was mine.
:popcorn:

In the beginning I drove the 300 miles down to my son's house during probably the last major storm front of the year; it rained most of the way there and all that night. It was a cold stay. The first three days we hunted in rain, sleet, hail and snow with a few hours of broken clouds and pale sunshine here and there. Then on the fourth day the weather finally cleared and we had a beautiful bright 70 degree afternoon. The birds were singing, the children were playing and there was a ray of hope that there might be a turkey or two puffed up and looking for some company. So we loaded up the car and drove high up into the oak covered mountains. After parking the car, we loaded our guns, grabbed a hen decoy and started walking up an old skid road. We'd stop occasionally and my son would make a couple calls, after walking for about an hour on a couple different roads we finally had a gobbler return our call, he was quite a ways down from us and to our right. A few minutes of backtracking and glassing and we finally caught sight of him about 600 yards away. He was down and across a small valley from us, puffed up like a little king on top of a round green grass covered knob that was set in the middle of a large meadow that fell off on the far side, he had placed himself strategically within his kingdom, with only a couple trees for shade and a moat of poison oak all around him, he could survey every approach within 200 yards. My son and I talked about it for a minute and decided there just wasn't a direct approach to him, but possibly with some luck, we could make it undetected to the edge of the oaks and brush, set up and call him down to us. Moving quickly but as quietly as we could, down into the valley we went, losing sight of the little king through the head high bush. After about 20 minutes we came to the edge of the brush and trees and could again see the meadow and the green knob... only now it was deserted. Not losing my faith and knowing we were as good as any member of the goats or longbeards, we set up and called out but no response... we waited, called again and still only greeted by silence. By now we were figuring he must have given us the slip and pealed down the backside of the knob. So crouching down as low as we could get, we went directly to where we last saw him strutting. Slowly and cautiously we peered over the side. Down below we could see two hens a couple hundred yards away and the little king moving towards them. We pushed our hen decoy out over the crest and set down in the grass about 20 yards from her. My son started calling and we heard an immediate response from below as the little king let out a long gobble. We called again and another gobble. Quietly we waited in ambush looking out over the tall grass for his approach. Then up he came, head held high, draped in gold, green and black as the sun gleamed and glistened off his feathers, stretching his red crowned head as high as he could, looking for the maiden that had beckoned him. Then forward, towards her he came never knowing the bead at the end of my barrel was following his every move. The gun was steady, the aim true and at 25 yards it bellowed sending the proclamation throughout his kingdom that the king lay dead and his standard was never to rise again. The End.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JeffC

Congrats again, great story and picture!! Now what about your sons Tom? I know, I'm needy, but you posted that great picture of the 2 of you with 2 Toms!!

Happy

Nice job. Congrats Lacire!

Good-looking and Platinum level member of the Elitist club

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

HillclimberWV

Congrats on the beautiful bird

lacire

Quote from: Happy on April 08, 2024, 05:48:59 PM
Nice job. Congrats Lacire!

Good-looking and Platinum level member of the Elitist club