Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Season start?

Started by JeffC, March 06, 2024, 07:54:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HillclimberWV

Turkeys were gobnlin all around work this morning. We had a cold snap 2 days prior and it seems like this first clear warm morming got them goin.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

JeffC

My back yard flock (30 some hens & jakes) has broken into 2 groups, a group of 2yr old Toms came thru last weekend. As usual, probably won't get over to Jersey until opening day. Have been listening trying to hear a gobble at house, nothing, know they are around but haven't heard a thing.   

JeffC

Had a Tom, actually 3 Toms and 1 hen in backyard yesterday, couldn't get a good picture of the 1 Tom who kept stepping in an out of strut. Will pull cameras on Sunday to see if he's in frame. Just saw that there are still permits available for the weekend hunt in zones I will be fighting for when they go on sale next week. Relly surprised they are not sold out. But they will sell out in minutes when they go live. 

austinc

As of now I'm planning to make a trip and start my season on the 4th, we'll see if I'm able to for sure or not. I've also started selling calls and currently have 15 to build, plan to get them done before the 4th and then I'm gonna take a break on building calls til after season.

JeffC

backyard flock seams to gotten back together again, 30 plus birds came thru yesterday. Was able to get some good pictures of the strutter. 3 Toms, 4 or 5 jakes and the rest hens. Missing toms and jakes that were all part of winter groups.

Twowithone

Awesome pics there JeffC. :firefighter:
09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

crow

JeffC

Happy Permit Day!!  :happy0064: :z-winnersmiley: was able to get all the permits I wanted before they sold out!! Another step closer to season start!!!  :you_rock: :you_rock:

Muzzy61

Quote from: JeffC on March 25, 2024, 10:19:33 AM
Happy Permit Day!!  :happy0064: :z-winnersmiley: was able to get all the permits I wanted before they sold out!! Another step closer to season start!!!  :you_rock: :you_rock:

Congrats !

JeffC

All good for now, 7 tags, like last year, hopefully I don't eat all 7 again... Have tags in 2 different zones, hopefully better odds.

Spellnj3

youth season for us is April 6-11

Regular season starts April 12

lacire

Well I'm heading out tomorrow for Saturdays opening. With a Major storm front moving in I'm bringing some heavy duty rain gear for Saturday plus my son will probably set a blind up for us, I don't normally like hunting from a blind but I might not have a choice. I'm not planning on hunting Easter Sunday but I'll be back out on Monday when the weather's supposed to clear. There's very poor cell phone reception where I hunt so you probably won't hear from me until I get back home.  :icon_thumright: Good hunting you' all.

JeffC

Wish you a safe and successful hunt, good luck to you and your son. Look forward to seeing pictures!!

notsure

JeffC

Backyard flock been thru every couple of days, they are roosted about 500yds North of me, been awesome to get to hear them wake up, try to get out on deck every morning to listen for gobbles. This morning I even heard gobble once they flew down. Set 2 more cameras out in yard to try and catch some good pictures. These pictures are from last weekend, they showed up as rain was ending, spent 6 hours here drying out preening and strutting.