OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Grass / Landscape lawn care question

Started by aclawrence, March 04, 2024, 11:30:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aclawrence

Hey guys what time of year do I need to spray this onion grass and what do I kill it with?  We moved into this place in 2020 and I have a list of landscaping projects I need to get done but they just haven't moved to the top of the needs list for us to be able to spend the money on it yet.  I have a big backpack sprayer. My neighbor down the street has a sprayer he pulls behind his mower. I'm sure he would come do it for me if I buy the chemicals.

Also do any of you have experience with this mower. It's a Gravely ZT HD. It's one of our bigger shops in town and I know a lot of the local lawn care crews buy from them so it probably makes since for me to buy a mower from them for service reasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paulmyr

That top pic looks like a great candidate for spot spraying with your back pack sprayer and some Round Up.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

roberthyman14

Where are you located at?  What kind of turf do you already have?  Mower. We run all Toro. Easy to get parts  we have 2 major dealers locally.  All ours are 60"  we don't have privacy fences to ho through otherwise you want smaller.

Sent from my SM-S918U1 using Tapatalk

aclawrence

Quote from: Paulmyr on March 04, 2024, 11:36:12 AM
That top pic looks like a great candidate for spot spraying with your back pack sprayer and some Round Up.
For some reason I have not considered using Roundup lol. I don't know why.

aclawrence

Quote from: roberthyman14 on March 04, 2024, 12:02:08 PM
Where are you located at?  What kind of turf do you already have?  Mower. We run all Toro. Easy to get parts  we have 2 major dealers locally.  All ours are 60"  we don't have privacy fences to ho through otherwise you want smaller.

Northwest Alabama. I'm guessing it's Bermuda I'm not sure. I've been using the older Exmark quest 48" but it has finally been the dust. I don't have any privacy fences definitely not opposed to 60 inch cut. I don't have any local Toro dealers, mostly John Deere, gravely, Walker, and the hustlers that are at the box stores and co-ops

randywallace

1.  Spray with onion with 24d.  It will kill the onion, but doesn't harm grass.
2.  I bought that same mower last year after my old Gravely finally bit the dust.  I cut about 5 acres a week and it does fine.

roberthyman14

Speedzone  or surge are 2 good products containing 2,4d.    They can be found at most supply houses.  Not lowes.   But if you have siteone, Ewing irrigation. Or something of that sort.   While you are there get a pre emergent called prodiamine.   You will mix the 2,4d at 3/4 oz per gallon of water.   Your pre emergent will be going down pretty soon.  I'm in Florida panhandle so I will be applying in a week.  You are probably 2 weeks behind me.  Goes by soil temp. 

aclawrence

Thanks for the info guys. Interestingly my neighbor is out spraying his yard this afternoon with his mower rig lol. I'll pick up the stuff y'all mentioned.