OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What's in a name?

Started by runngun, January 21, 2024, 05:04:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Sanders153 on February 06, 2024, 06:30:34 PM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on February 03, 2024, 12:24:14 AM
The Sir part comes from my love of midevil times, my mother gave me a book when I was 9-12 I guess that was on knights weapons, armor and siege weapons and that started that love for me.

When I had my car accident in 2001 I was not able to stand, sit, lay down or do much of anything for very long but I had a friend that had this one computer chair that I could sit in without much pain and I got into computer gaming when sitting at his computer. I also wound up getting my own gaming rigs and went to a LAN party (Where gamers get together at someones house or rent out a hotel meeting room play video games on their computers together) with some friends and my friend Jerry walked behind me and was watching me and said "Man you die a lot" and that is where the diealot comes from. I like to be kind of humorous in my own odd little way so I combined the two to become Sir-diealot I will never change the name, my mother died a long time ago and Jerry died much to soon leaving behind 3 kids including a daughter that was born after he passed. I do all I can with them but they are all grown up and on their own now. Man time flies fast.

I had wondered about the origin of that name my friend, it's very clever I think! I thought it might could have been a reference to a crazy number of longbeards that you had sent to the promise land lol
I had only been turkey hunting a few years when my car accident happened, and was unable to hunt for 15 years (I thought it was 17 til I saw a date on a picture when I was able to get back to it) I had never taken a turkey but had begged God to let me get back into the woods and get just one, that is what I have gotten so far.

Quote from: Zobo on February 06, 2024, 06:32:27 PM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on February 03, 2024, 12:24:14 AM
The Sir part comes from my love of midevil times, my mother gave me a book when I was 9-12 I guess that was on knights weapons, armor and siege weapons and that started that love for me.

When I had my car accident in 2001 I was not able to stand, sit, lay down or do much of anything for very long but I had a friend that had this one computer chair that I could sit in without much pain and I got into computer gaming when sitting at his computer. I also wound up getting my own gaming rigs and went to a LAN party (Where gamers get together at someones house or rent out a hotel meeting room play video games on their computers together) with some friends and my friend Jerry walked behind me and was watching me and said "Man you die a lot" and that is where the diealot comes from. I like to be kind of humorous in my own odd little way so I combined the two to become Sir-diealot I will never change the name, my mother died a long time ago and Jerry died much to soon leaving behind 3 kids including a daughter that was born after he passed. I do all I can with them but they are all grown up and on their own now. Man time flies fast.

We were waiting for this

I had told it a few years ago, I think Stringfellow_Hawk had started the thread. No clue whatever happened to him? Must have been before you were a member.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

WV Flopper

Well, I am from WV. I enjoy flopping a gobbler more than anything.

I baby set young men and grown men for a living. No, I am not in law enforcement or incarceration of either.

Good thread, have enjoyed the responses.

The Lung

The Lung is where is where I like to put an arrow.
I am a chef.
"Dear Lord, may our will be pure and our aim be true. Amen"

Meleagris gallopavo

I'm a scientist (plant pathologist to be exact).  Basically a plant doctor.  Zobo and I are somewhat kindred spirits since he's a mycologist.  Being a nerd, I chose the scientific name of the wild turkey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Mossyguy

I live less than an hour from West Point and have worn Mossy Oak since I was 10 years old...37 years later I'm still wearing it.

HillclimberWV

Grew up and still reside in WV. Second part is just part of tye joy of hunting in this state. I'm an operations manager for steel fabrication company.  We build commercial buildings and various oil and gas projects east of the Mississippi.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

g8rvet

Quote from: Mossyguy on February 10, 2024, 10:02:14 AM
I live less than an hour from West Point and have worn Mossy Oak since I was 10 years old...37 years later I'm still wearing it.
Good buddy from there just moved back and went to work there.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

surehuntsalot

45 yrs of commercial construction
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

g8rvet

Quote from: Meleagris gallopavo on February 10, 2024, 08:58:19 AM
  Zobo and I are somewhat kindred spirits since he's a mycologist.

I knew he was a fun guy.   (sorry, mycology humor). 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Zobo

Quote from: g8rvet on February 29, 2024, 05:37:40 PM
Quote from: Meleagris gallopavo on February 10, 2024, 08:58:19 AM
  Zobo and I are somewhat kindred spirits since he's a mycologist.

I knew he was a fun guy.   (sorry, mycology humor).

I not only a fun guy, people lichen me too!

And Gallo, perhaps I should have gone with Morchella esculenta, but in light of recent, extensive and ongoing taxonomic revision, I think I'll stick with Zobo :TooFunny:
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

ruination

Used to be my favorite beer.

I am a chemist working with new chemicals looking for environmental regulatory approval.
.410 Favors the Bold

RutnNStrutn

Not sure how I missed this thread!! Very informative and entertaining!!
A loooooooong time ago, I was trying to come up with an email address that wasn't boring. So I thought about what I liked to do the most - deer and turkey hunt. So RutnNStrutn it is.
I'm a retired fire department Lieutenant. I served 34 years and hung up my helmet in 2017. I'm also the team Captain for Guns N' Hoses - a team of active duty and retired cops and firefighters. The guys of Guns N' Hoses are the reigning Old Gobbler turkey contest champions.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk