turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Close in shell options

Started by g8rvet, February 29, 2024, 12:29:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

g8rvet

I have a side by side I am currently getting sighted in. 

25-40 barrel will be Heavyweight Fed #7 (15gm/cc).  It shoots well and I bought 15 boxes as it was discontinued, so I am set for life.

I bought some lead Pheasant loads, #6 in either 1 ounce or 1.25 (some of both) for the close barrel.  My thought was a little larger shot just in case a follow up is ever needed. It got me wondering though if anyone has ever killed a bird with 7.5 at real close range.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

paboxcall

"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Kygobblergetter

When I was a kid we hunted with 7.5s from a modified barrel and killed them stone dead at 25 and in. My first few birds were killed with that set up before we spent money on turkey guns with screw in chokes. If you can get a solid pattern the lead 7.5s will kill them at reasonable distances

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crow

There's good info and feedback in the lead shooters section on 7.5's on here.
Banded Spur on here posted hard antimony lead shot 7.5's has the juice at 35yds in ballistic jell

I hunt with Win AA target loads and Fed top gun 7.5 in the close barrel in an old 12ga sxs. the hard shot definitely patterns better

I usually find stuff in the archives on here better by doing a regular google search for some reason

BandedSpur

I killed one a few years ago with my granddad's ancient full choked Iver Johnson single shot with handloaded 7.5s. Crushed him at 16 yards.

I posted a 30 yard pattern on here from my 1187/IC .665 combo with a Winchester Super Sporting load of hard 7.5s @ 1300 fps. It did 161/10 @ 30 yds, and yes, KPY shows 5% antimony 7.5s penetrating 1.25" into 20% BG at 35 yds. Unfortunately, that photo got lost when Photobucket got greedy.

BrowningGuy88

It's been said, but a heavy field load of copper plated 7.5's is absolute death on one.

g8rvet

Quote from: BandedSpur on March 01, 2024, 06:57:26 AM
I killed one a few years ago with my granddad's ancient full choked Iver Johnson single shot with handloaded 7.5s. Crushed him at 16 yards.

I posted a 30 yard pattern on here from my 1187/IC .665 combo with a Winchester Super Sporting load of hard 7.5s @ 1300 fps. It did 161/10 @ 30 yds, and yes, KPY shows 5% antimony 7.5s penetrating 1.25" into 20% BG at 35 yds. Unfortunately, that photo got lost when Photobucket got greedy.
I saw that in my search the other day, but the pic was gone.  Good info though. (I usually search first and a lot of it was about old school guns and numbers more than clean kills)

So, the only thing that I hesitate about is what if my first is not a clean kill?  I can close 10 yards and still have a killing pattern and shot with #6, but wonder about 7.5.  Maybe the best answer is kill them with the first shot :)  I know doo doo occurs, so I like to be ultra confident.  I have plenty of 7.5 laying around, so I will pattern some with it for grins.  See how much better it looks than the 6 I have and go from there.  Thanks all.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

crow

Jordan and Davis used 6s in the close barrel and 4sin the distance barrel. Dawai on here or another forum used 2s in his something went wrong turkey getting away barrel. I've talked with a number of old hunters that used 2s or larger for a  getting away barrel. Capt. Bogardus in his book settled on #1shot in both barrels.  Lots of options.       

Sungrazer

If I ever find a box of Fiocchi Golden Pheasant 2 3/4" 7.5 20gauge I'm going to pattern them.
Currently use GP 3" 6 shot in my short barrel. great pattern! But like to tinker/test.

surehuntsalot

have done it several times at 25-30 yds with high brass 7-1/2 pheasant loads
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

wchadw

I run golden pheasant 6s or 7s in my close barrel with Sumtoy 585 choke Killed plenty of them under 35 yards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guskie

I killed 5 turkeys this fall with a 20 gauge m1 using a trulock .575 choke and Federal Prairie Storm 1-1/4 oz #6 pheasant loads. Yardage were from 20 yards to 35 yards. They patterned surprisingly well. I also patterned Fiochi 1-1/4 oz of 7.5 and they we not very good in my gun.

coonhunter

Don't overlook rio 1oz load of 7.5. They patter pretty good to 30 yards with a Carlson .575.
Joshua 24:15