OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Underrated trumpet wood

Started by speedracer, February 15, 2024, 08:14:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GregGwaltney

Quote from: merocustomcalls on February 16, 2024, 06:26:21 AM
If I had to pick an all time favorite it would be Kingwood.  Relatively inexpensive and easy to turn.  Always produces great sound.  Also a very attractive wood.
Good call, I love Kingwood too.
gwaltneygamecalls.com

2024 S.E. Comp-1st Place & Best in Class Trumpet
2024 Grand Nat'l-1st Air Operated Trumpet
2024 Grand Nat'l-2nd Air Operated Trumpet
2023 Grand Nat'l-2nd Air Operated Trumpet
2023 S.E. Comp-3rd Place Trumpet
2022 Grand Nat'l-5th Air Operated Trumpet
2021 Grand Nat'l-2nd Air Operated Trumpet
2021 Grand Nat'l-5th Air Operated Trumpet
2019 Grand Nat'l-3rd Air Operated Trumpet

Meleagris gallopavo

Yeah!  Love Kingwood and Camatillo.  I'm very fond of ebonies, especially Macassar, Mun and Malaysian Blackwood.  Not much difference between those three really IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Scpossum

Argentine Lignum and Brazillion Ebony (Gombeira) are what I like to hunt with.  I have turned cocuswood, blackwood, snakewood, etc., but I still go back to those two for hunting.

boatpaddle

Ziricote, bocote, koa, black locust, persimmon, Alaskan yellow cedar burl, black & white ebony, & cherry burl..

Sent from my SM-A516U using Tapatalk
Recognize
Adapt
Overcome

speedracer

Yep, that  Argentine Lignum sure does smell good!
Does the genuine Lignum have that same smell?
"The credit goes to him who is in the arena, whose face is marred by sweat and blood, who, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat." T Roosevelt

GregGwaltney

Quote from: speedracer on February 17, 2024, 08:00:51 AM
Yep, that  Argentine Lignum sure does smell good!
Does the genuine Lignum have that same smell?
Genuine Lignum does not smell like the Argentine, I don't like the Argentine "taste/smell" when running trumpets.
gwaltneygamecalls.com

mountainhunter1

As far as underrated and not used enough - The list could be long, but to just pick the most obvious, I would say Walnut and Mopane, and maybe to some extent Kingwood. Mopane seems to be catching on more and more, it is just kind of a slightly plainer wood in appearance and some people overlook it because of that even though for me the sound is the main issue, and looks are the secondary issue. And Mopane is just full of turkey as far as tonal qualities.

Domestically, Walnut is a great wood and not sure why you don't see more Walnut trumpets than we do. Maybe I am missing some who do make them, but I just personally do not see many presently. But, it will probably come back around in popularity at some point.
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13

Meleagris gallopavo

I'd be interested in hearing more about black walnut.  The heavy, dense woods get a lot of use in the trumpet market to the point that I wonder why bother with lighter woods.  Black walnut is really light (0.62 SG) compared to most woods used for trumpets.  I do have a heart pine trumpet from Bob Buckner that sounds great. 

I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

GregGwaltney

Quote from: Meleagris gallopavo on February 17, 2024, 05:41:30 PM
I'd be interested in hearing more about black walnut.  The heavy, dense woods get a lot of use in the trumpet market to the point that I wonder why bother with lighter woods.  Black walnut is really light (0.62 SG) compared to most woods used for trumpets.  I do have a heart pine trumpet from Bob Buckner that sounds great. 

I have made a few Black Walnut trumpets and they turned out great, maybe not as loud as ABW, Snakewood, Etc, but darn nice tone and playability. Seems like any type of call I have made out of Black Walnut sounded turkey, just a great tonewood in my opinion.
gwaltneygamecalls.com

Mathews.1

I have a Billy Buice trumpet made from walnut 

Gobbler428

Quote from: greentrout on February 15, 2024, 09:23:18 PM
I remember reading from someone that Ralph Permar hunts with a walnut trumpet quite a bit. I would say Osage is right on the fringe. It's got a good bit of fans.
I have a 1930 Model walnut that Ralph made.

Yoder409

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on February 15, 2024, 08:33:50 PM
I'd say pretty much all the domestics are underrated.

I'm thinking black locust would be a great trumpet wood.

Had a piece to give to a maker at Unicoi, but the hand-off never got made.   

Maybe next year.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Terry

Walnut Zach Farmer

greentrout

Looking to buy Allen Dunfee scratch boxes.

speedracer

Wow!, that Farmer is Sweet!
After reading all the comments about Walnut I think I'm gonna have to agree that it has got to at least be near the top of the list ...
I have built more calls of walnut than probably anything else mainly because I have a lot of it and it didn't cost anything but a little sweat, first trumpet I made was walnut, and all the rest of them would have worked just fine in the woods.
I will have to get som Mopane to try and for anyone who hasn't tried Bloodwood yet, I would highly recommend you get some and try it.
I've enjoyed hearing y'all's comments on this post
Stay Safe!
Rick
"The credit goes to him who is in the arena, whose face is marred by sweat and blood, who, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat." T Roosevelt