OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

20 O\U

Started by NCSWAMPFOX, February 15, 2024, 10:48:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom007

Point of info: I called Browning when I set up my gun and spoke with their tech that was very familiar and involved with my model Cynergy. He recommended tight choke in the bottom, open choke in the top. He said to Site the lower barrel in with my Red Dot. It worked perfect in my particular gun. I really like Over-Unders for turkey. I have had a few different models, the Cynergy Ultimate Turkey being my favorite. The way they designed the barrels keeping them tight together towards the ends gives the 2 barrels POI a better chance of being consistent with each other. The chokes almost touch when screwing them in. I also had a Fabarms Heckler Koch Special Turkey Over-under which I replaced with the Cynergy. The Barrels on the Fabarm we're only 20 inches, a bit too short for me. It was dangerous to sling carry if you did not pay attention. Did not pattern nearly as good as my Browning, and turkey chokes were tough to get. An Over-Under is a great choice in the turkey woods, I do carry mine frequently every spring......
"Solo hunter"

BandedSpur

Quote from: TrackeySauresRex on February 18, 2024, 12:35:35 PM
Not hijacking the thread... However,  Im new to the O/U turkey game and I'm all over this thread.. great info.
I 'm currently running a .585 in the bottom with 2-3/4 #7 HW (Steven's)
Top .560 with 3" #7  HW..
@ 30 my POI is close. My question for the sharpies is.. Would you like to see this set up a little more open in the bottom barrel?
All info is always greatly appreciated.

Thank you all
Johnny

Depends on what you want to accomplish, and the only way to tell for sure is to pattern and see. I first went to an O/U back in 2009 after missing two birds inside 10 yards with my 1187 in 2008. I experimented with handloaded lead 7s and different chokes. Cyl choke gave a beautiful spread at 10 yds but ran out of pattern density (<100 pellets/10" circle) at 20 yrds. IC choke ran out of pattern density @ 25 yds, mod @ 30 and full @35. My ST .675 (12 ga) with TSS HLs is really tight inside 40.

I really wanted the open barrel to be able to reach to 40 if necessary while still having acceptable spread up close, so I started loading a light load of TSS for the open barrel. It still does > 100/10" @ 40 through a mod choke but with a lot more wiggle room than the Sumtoy, which does 350/10 @40. Using TSS in both barrels does compromise some wiggle room up close compared to using lead in the open barrel, but will allow both barrels to kill to 40 if needed.

I imagine you will be in a similar situation using HW 7s. Shoot your .585 @ 20 and see if you are satisfied with the results. If it is too tight for your liking you will need to open that choke a lot or switch to lead for that barrel, understanding that if you do so, you probably won't be able to stretch it to 40. Like I said, just depends on what you are trying to accomplish.

Bowguy

Quote from: aclawrence on February 18, 2024, 01:32:51 PM
They had a sexy new Mossberg o/u at the NWTF convention. I got to glance at one and it was a 28ga but I'm sure they have a 20 to. It was short, light, and camo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Understand, a couple mentions here of barrels overlapping. They need to and it's gotta be done properly. Often checked than adjusted not just soldered together and let be as the barrels may not shoot as desired. Point is that checking, adjusting costs money. Mossberg at that price point prob isn't doing so. You'd prob be better getting a better grade gun. Just fyi

aclawrence

It's already out of my price point at $900 plus haha. I do really like the idea of an o/u turkey setup.

wchadw

Quote from: aclawrence on February 20, 2024, 04:39:40 PM
It's already out of my price point at $900 plus haha. I do really like the idea of an o/u turkey setup.

Academy sports used to carry Yildiz youth 20ga O/U. Think I got mine for $425. Probably a little more now

wchadw

Quote from: wchadw on February 20, 2024, 07:48:59 PM
Quote from: aclawrence on February 20, 2024, 04:39:40 PM

Academy sports used to carry Yildiz youth 20ga O/U. Think I got mine for $425. Probably a little more now

$429 great little gun for the $

https://www.academy.com/p/yildiz-lineage-youth-20-gauge-20-in-ou-shotgun

3bailey3

What are the more open chokes are you guys using? 575 or 585?

wchadw

I use 585

Jordan121787

rt2bowhunter

Speaking strictly turkey hunting with my 20 gauge Over under.

I want my top barrel to be my tight choke barrel. As to follow up shots well if i need it past 30 yards and i'm running a more open choke in the lower barrel. I don't have a follow up shot any way. If i would happen to need a follow up shot with my more open choked barrel. Then i have the tight choke in the top barrel so here i have a follow up shot.

What i will likely do after i put a red dot on it. I will run a .555 Chomp n choke with 1.5oz of Tss 9 shot in the top barrel its the tightest pattern. The bottom barrel i'll run a .565 Chomp n choke with 1 5/8 oz of 9 Tss it has a more open pattern with great coverage.

I mean its a 20 gauge recoil is not a concern as to what barrel shoots first. The barrel regulation is very good with my CZ Drake so that isn't a factor.

When i squirrel hunt i run a full in the top and modified in the bottom. If i need the full i select the barrel if i need the modified i select the bottom barrel. Same way rabbit or pheasant Mod in the top skeet 1 in the bottom. 95% of the time i have the selecter set to shoot the bottom barrel first.

Sungrazer

I'm shooting improved modified choke in bottom barrel w/Golden Pheasant #6 to 30 yds.
Top barrel is Longbeard XR choke w/Longbeard XR #6 over 30 yds.

wchadw

I do mine long barrel (562 with hand loaded 9s) on top. I have a Trijicon RMR triangle sighted top (long) barrel at top point of triangle.
So short barrel with Sumtoy 585 with golden pheasant for close shots, I just cover the head with the full triangle
Works good for me. Easy for close fast shots and feel like it's nore pinpoint for longer shots

owlhoot

Thanks guy for all the great info.
I have a CZ 20 gauge  that needs to be setup. Just needs Huglu chokes.

Some type of rib mount for a red dot?
Every thing else you all are covering very well. Again thanks.

wchadw

Quote from: owlhoot on March 24, 2024, 02:53:09 PM
Thanks guy for all the great info.
I have a CZ 20 gauge  that needs to be setup. Just needs Huglu chokes.

Some type of rib mount for a red dot?
Every thing else you all are covering very well. Again thanks.
Sumtoy can do rib mount and chokes
Or meadow creek does rib mounts that don't require drilling