OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Social Media Experiment

Started by Fdept56, February 11, 2024, 12:06:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom007

There's not one thing in this world as long as I am able that will prevent, hinder, or stop me from pursuing this beautiful bird that I respect and enjoy so much. I love this forum, and the members that I have gotten to know here. I've learned a tremendous amount of knowledge from this group, and for that I am grateful. Whatever you call it, social media or not, I love it and nothing will prevent me from enjoying the turkey woods for years to come.....
"Solo hunter"

kytrkyhntr

This is 100 percent social media. It's no different than any other one. It's not turkey only hell I saw a post about Toby Keith dyin which is fine. A lot of men think of social media as feminine. Especially men older than me from say my dad's generation. But make no mistake. This is social media. And posting on here is no different than your wife posting on Facebook or your kids scrolling tik tok. It's okay... but there's always an undertone with men that social media is beneath them or they're too "old school" or whatever. But you're on social media. That's exactly what it is. It's a conversation a lot of yall aren't ready for. Someone announced a grandchild being born on here this week.. congrats by the way if that was you!

Stop talking about social media on social media haha YOURE ON IT
don't let the truth get in the way of a good story

g8rvet

To the OP: You do you and have fun and a safe season brother. 

I have never posted anything about turkey hunting on FB, that is for me to keep up with friends and their grandbabies.  I don't consider this place social media.  I posted a silly story last year along with eventually a pic and we had fun with it, because the people on this site are mostly hard core real turkey hunters immune to the social media world.  I like to see pics from the season from guys on here I feel like I sorta know.  For most, I like to share in the joy of their success.  If they turn it into a brag fest, I just click on. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

runngun

I enjoy seeing folks' pictures on here. There's folks on here that hunt all over this great country and I like seeing the pictures. Right off the top of my head I really can't remember anyone posting pictures in a bragging way. Joey46 shared a bunch of great photos last year. I don't do Facebook, nothing against the people who do, just ain't my thing. Y'all have a good one, and May God bless y'all, Bo

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

g8rvet

Quote from: runngun on February 13, 2024, 08:59:52 PM
I enjoy seeing folks' pictures on here. There's folks on here that hunt all over this great country and I like seeing the pictures. Right off the top of my head I really can't remember anyone posting pictures in a bragging way. Joey46 shared a bunch of great photos last year. I don't do Facebook, nothing against the people who do, just ain't my thing. Y'all have a good one, and May God bless y'all, Bo

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
Agree Bo and it is almost like we know each other and celebrate the success. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

aclawrence

I think social media has some benefits but for the most part is seriously degrading our culture. I do have an instagram and facebook and I really like to post pictures mainly for myself to look back on. I enjoy the one year ago reminders it shows you. I have shied away from posting very much during the season. I like to be more secretive and misleading with my post. I don't post pictures of a turkey when I actually kill it. People follow you online, know what kind of truck you drive, see your truck at the gate....if you're constantly updating social media about all the birds your hearing or seeing or whatever, that's just stupid haha. I agree we're in a culture crisis but there's still a lot of good out there. And a lot of good turkey hunters. I think our turkey hunting brethren are some of the best guys out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kytrkyhntr

Again it doesn't matter what we consider it. The facts are this is social media. Lol
don't let the truth get in the way of a good story

Cut N Run

Not a FB guy, though I do participate in a few other hunting, fishing, & hockey sites.  The necessity of instant gratification by the younger crowd these days is what I find so distasteful.  I met a guy through work who wanted me to educate him on turkey hunting.  He promised access to some killer family land we could hunt, though he kept trying to find out the places I hunted.  He got drawn to hunt some public land (that I've put in for 9 years straight without ever getting selected), then got bent out of shape that I wouldn't go along to call for him (which is not allowed unless I'd been drawn too).  I carried him to some pressured public land in a different county where we had gobblers respond, but refuse to come in.  He was begging me to take him to my primary farm because he "wanted to kill a gobbler, so he could post it on FaceBook."  I realized right then that he'd probably never really "get" turkey hunting and we had different ideas of the essence of a great turkey hunt.

When I started hunting turkeys in 1982, most turkey hunters might tell you if they'd heard or seen a gobbler, but they'd certainly never tell where.  There wasn't the place for free exchange of ideas and techniques like we can find on turkey hunting specific websites, like this one.  About the only way to learn to hunt turkeys was to read everything about turkeys you could get your eyes on, to find a good mentor, or learn by making your own mistakes in the turkey woods.  I read lots of books & magazine articles, made TONS of mistakes, and was fortunate to have a good friend who is a flat out turkey slayer. 

This here information super highway has also taught me quite a bit as well and expanded my tukey hunting friendships.  I'm not thrilled by so many new hunters in the woods competing for the same resource as me.  I am grateful for the pandemic being over to so there's not as many other hunters out after 'em every day.  I don't like that the internet hunting personalities have spawned so much interest and other hunters thinking that they also need to become internet famous hunters.  It is costing all of us.  Turkey hunting has become a destination, not a journey.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

TrackeySauresRex

My experiment has worked for me many years ago... just scroll on my OG brother.

When used right it's a wonderful thing for the tool box. This is an unbelievable great community here. We have the whole package here and I never once thought of it as a look at "Me" page. So many members have given me great advice over the years. I have fun what I do here and enjoy all the stories from everyone. We are humble people and will remain.  :cross2:

Good luck and happy hunting.
:turkey:

"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Brillo

Our topic is turkey hunting and social media specifically but all types of hunting are affected.  Social media is our new normal.  Ignoring social media may help alleviate our angst but it will still impact us in the field.  The challenge for all of us it to use social media in positive ways and OG has been a very good format for that. It is hard to read most of the OG threads and NOT get a sense of the rich tradition and civil integrity of turkey hunting.  While there will never be perfection in this life, the participants in this forum, in general, practice a high standard of civility. 
A good practice for social media participation is to imagine yourself face to face  in a coffee shop with the other participants.   

joey46

This is as close to social media as I participate in.  I don't have a Facebook account and used my wife's to watch the TFT drawing last week.  I do watch all the good and bad on YouTube.  Some things are worth beating your head against the wall for.  Social media isn't and is here to stay.