North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Killer B's Check In

Started by twyatt, February 13, 2024, 06:58:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yoder409

GREAT lookin' bird !!!

Rios are fun !!!   They ain't afraid to play the game.   :you_rock:

My only triple-bearded bird to date was a long-spurred Texas Rio.

PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

POk3s

I have now killed 4. They definitely are different and they've been the toughest for me. You think they're more like merriams and then all of the sudden they clam up for no apparent reason. They seem to be more secretive than merriams, even though they sound the same. All subspecies seem to have their own nuances. I guess that's what makes it fun!

Working on videos now from last year and will let you guys know when I have them posted, if you're interested in watching.

Yoder409

Quote from: POk3s on February 24, 2024, 02:13:49 PM
You think they're more like merriams and then all of the sudden they clam up for no apparent reason.

IMO......... THAT'S when you better have the dot turned on and your head on a swivel.  They COMIN' !!!!

First Rios I ever called in....... 3 came straight up out of a Texas river bottom.  I saw them pop up about 80-100 yards straight out front and thought these were the easiest birds I ever worked in my life.  Then they started to my right and dipped below the brow of the slope.  Kept watching to my right figuring to see them pop outta the mesquite and pear any time.  Totally silent.......

Figured I had blown it for whatever reason.  Didn't know what.  Probably 10 minutes of silence after that....... I hear PFFFFT !!!!  MMMmmmmm..........   RIGHT FREAKIN' BESIDE ME !!!!!!!!  I looked as hard outta the corner of my eye as I could.   All 3 of them in full strut about 15 or 20 feet from me, just off my right shoulder.    Problem was...... I was snuggled back into an algerita bush (think Mother Nature's green razor wire) and there was NO WAY that I could turn to do anything.   Anyways........ That all ended badly for me.   But I'm pretty certain the one hanging upside-down in the picture above (who died about a mile away later that day) was one of those three.     
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Mossyguy

We hunted with an outfitter when we went. Drove about 12 hours straight from Mississippi and got there in time to roost a flock. The next day we were both tagged out with two birds apiece by 2 p.m. Woke up early the next morning and drove home.

POk3s

Killed one in Texas my first 3 minutes of hunting. Actually getting to hunt a little "extra" the afternoon before. I then didn't hear another gobble and saw one other gobbler the next 3 days.

I've since hunted them in Kansas and hybrid birds in Nebraska and they have kicked my butt regularly...last year I got the upper hand pretty good! Most of it seems to just be the way the populations are nowadays. Especially in Kansas. Lots of habitat without any turkeys...especially on public land.

Here were my two from last year, in case you guys wanted to see them again  :D It had been a. Few months after all!

Hoosier2

Fine looking birds pok. Those are great pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom007

"Solo hunter"

POk3s

I think...we should all re post our turkeys from last year. Gets the mind right you know ;) !

Here's my Merriam and my eastern that completely my "Poor Man's Slam"

The eastern made the "big bird" category weighing in at nearly 26 lbs

Yoder409

Only hunted the home ranch last year.  Killed a nice 4 year bird first Wednesday in a snow storm.  Then doubled with my cuz on a pair of 3 year birds 2 days later.

I did go out with a buddy of mine, his son and his son's best buddy the last week of the season.

VERY proud to have called in this young man's very first turkey for him.

PA elitist since 1979

Yoder409

First gobble time scouting trip to the home ranch this morning.   36 degrees and light breeze.   Shoulda heard some birds.  They didn't see it that way.........

Nice morning to be out, though.

PA elitist since 1979

Mossyguy

A few weeks back for some reason my camera had turned down to face the ground...I'm guessing a bird of some sort. Well this bird just happened to walk by...I think he's a candidate  :drool:

Yoder409

That bird's a BUBBA !!!

Seriously legit set of spurs on him !!!
PA elitist since 1979

POk3s

Finally getting around to making and posting my little video about last year's spring. You boys give it a watch if you're interested!

https://youtu.be/YTlJ2Ivkn3A?si=cuJ0NPh6mROPvpXK

Yoder409

PA elitist since 1979

Tom007

Great pics.....keep 'em comin'
"Solo hunter"