OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Is there a diaphragm that will do it All?

Started by bbcoach, January 26, 2024, 12:32:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbcoach

I've been reading tons of articles, watching videos and checking OG posts on diaphragm calls and it has me asking myself, does anyone make a call that will do it ALL?  Everything I've read or watched via YouTube, tells me NO.  I've been buying and practicing, for about 10 years now, calls that will kill turkeys but none that will yelp, cluck, cutt, purr, whine, whistle, and kee kee in one call.  Most calls that I've tried will do the basics, but I have to change to something else to get a kee kee or get a quality purr and do the soft stuff.  I've recently went away from small split v cuts and ghost cuts and went to a radically deeper cut call and believe I have found a call that will do it All for me.  Do you have a diaphragm (you don't have to name it), that will do it all or do you need multiple calls to get it done?         

g8rvet

Great question.  I have a commercial reed, a beginner call with no splits and get the higher pitched and the soft stuff really well. KeeKee has called in jakes in the fall (but they are dumb, so not sure that means I am all that great).  I have been thinking about trying  more variety calls as well for some different sounds.  My purr is not great unless very very quiet. I tend to mostly use a diaphragm as a finisher, but have killed birds with it as a primary and I think I am going to try some other versions. 

One question I have is what makes a custom maker's calls better than production calls??  It looks so simple I don't really understand.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

bbcoach

One question I have is what makes a custom maker's calls better than production calls??  It looks so simple I don't really understand.

I believe it is quality and consistency.  Most custom calls are precisely made one at a time.  The reeds are made from quality materials, stacked precisely and stretched to a specific tension every time.  If you buy a production call, the materials come from who knows where and the tension isn't the same from call to call.  Go to Walmart and pay $4 to $5 for 5 calls and you may get 1 to sound right.  Also you never know how long ago the Production (mass produced) calls were made and been setting in a warehouse.  My 2 cents.

Gooserbat

I build a lot of mouth calls and I'm of the opinion if there's a call that can do it all, it's a Gulvas style two reed.  You play one a little different and it takes learning and un-learning how you play.  Not for everyone but me thinks it's versatile. 

As far as consistency, the small boutique call strechers are going to build the best. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

bbcoach

Thanks, Sam, for the response.  When I put this up, I was hoping for call makers to respond and give us Professional Guidance.

g8rvet

Thanks Gooser.  Gonna get a couple of yours and see how they sound.    I guess that is always the only test. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

EZ

Perfection Raspy D or quaker Boy Ol Boss Hen.

GobbleNut

There are probably some mouth call users that have spent enough time perfecting their calling and tinkering with mouth call formulas (think upper-tier contest callers) that they can do it all with one call.  I doubt there are many.  I know I have spent decades trying to find a single call that I was personally satisfied that I could make all of the turkey sounds we commonly use while hunting with the realism that I want to achieve.
...Still looking for that call!  I have just accepted the fact that sometimes I have to switch calls to make certain sounds to the realism I want to have.

With the YouTube turkey hunting craze, I have also noticed that there are quite a few hunters that may THINK they are making a variety of turkey sounds realistically, but in reality are just getting close enough to fool a gobbler once in a while.  From my own experience, I have found that there always seem to be a few gobblers out there that are just not that picky.   ;D :D

WV Ridge Reaper

I run batwing cut calls..Thats fits me the best and with a 2 or 2.5 reed call i can do it all expect gobble,i cant do that on any mouth call...i can do a coyote howl as well,good enough to make you stop in the woods and listen for it again

The amount of air that a 3 reed call takes to run and the sound of them to me is pure garbage..Why people want to put that amount of effort in a mouth call and the air it takes is beyond me..way way to loud..but hey if it works for you then good for you

Del crow is my mouth call guy..picked up some of the kluk two reed calls they offer and they are pretty good but i don't care the yelp I'm getting from them at the moment

Canadian

I'm with Gooserbat on the Gulvas style calls. Its all I run, and I can do everything on just one call. I primarily run a Gulvas masters choice, which is a 2.5 reed, no cuts. I will say though, they are a very tough call to figure out, and actually run properly. With a Gulvas call, there is no tongue movement at all, and the call is controlled from your diaphragm, up to your throat. When you hit it good, it literally 'feels' as though the sound is coming straight from your own voice box! Everything comes from deep down, and you use way less air than typical store bought calls. If you put your hand in front of your mouth, and talk, it will give you a good idea of how little air that the Gulvas calls require. Again, they are very challenging, but VERY worth it in my opinion. The more time I spend on them, the more I'm blown away by their versatility. Im sure there are other calls out there that can do it all aswell, so I'm merely sharing my own experience, which is only really with Gulvas calls. I honestly probably couldnt even run anything different if I tried... But also don't want to anyways...

Sent from my SM-S918W using Tapatalk

rifleman

I have been hunting these rascals since 1975 and have used a variety of commercially available calls, a few of the high end "boutique" plus many I have made using the toy the Drury Boys put out back in about 1996.  All of them work and as a beginning caller I liked the Perfection Blue two reed best and most that I make using Drury call maker are just simple calls of the two reed variety.  I have been able to get just about any sound I want out of those simple calls.  Don't waste your money on high dollar mouth calls.  If you are seeking unique sounds to mouth calls use any one of these:   nail calls, tube calls, or friction calls of personal preference. Not meaning to appear as a know it all but this is my take over the years.  Good Luck.

bbcoach

If you are seeking unique sounds to mouth calls use any one of these:   nail calls, tube calls, or friction calls of personal preference. Not meaning to appear as a know it all but this is my take over the years. 

Absolutely agree Rifleman.  I never go into the woods without several proven friction calls with multiple strikers, at least one quality box and several mouth calls.  To me and many dead turkeys, it is hard to beat a GREAT slate over glass or slate over slate.  I'm the type of hunter that NEVER relies on one call and wants to get very proficient with what I have in my vest.  If a particular call doesn't get a response that day, it's on to the next for me.  I have spent years and tons or money on diaphragms that will do this or that but NONE that can replicate most of the turkey's vocabulary.  I'm a center air caller, so split v, batwing and ghost cuts have been my go to.  Last year a New company started business and I tried several of their radical cut calls with different stretches and believe I have found the ONE for me.  I have never tried the Gulvas calls but many on here swear by them.  I will NEVER enter a Calling Contest but I do PRIDE myself in becoming very proficient with my calling WHERE it counts.       

Kygobblergetter

I do have a ghost cut that will do it all for me. It's a small local call builder that I don't know but is a friend of a friend. I get a few of them every year for free. This will be year 6 running his calls and every bird I have killed in those 6 years has been killed with that ghost cut. Minus a couple trumpet birds. I bend all of my calls slightly to "tune" them to my liking. Especially if I try a new call and don't love it. I'll start bending to get a better fit in my mouth and add or reduce tension. I haven't seen anybody else do this but it makes a huge difference in getting a good seal. I've gotten to where I can keep the same sound and just make the call fit my mouth better or I can change the sound fairly significantly to my liking.

ScottTaulbee

I would suggest checking out the Shane Simpson mouth call videos. I was in the same boat as you with all the calls I had been buying. I watched his videos and he discusses what side of your mouth your air flow comes out of. I realized that my air flow comes directly down the center and have used ghost cut calls since. I can do all the mentioned calls plus gobble on a ghost cut. I used to have to switch calls to different cuts to try to make different notes.

bbcoach

Thanks Scott. I am a center airflow guy and I found my GO TO last spring.  It is a modified ghost cut with low stretch and it does everything.  I've been putting tons of time practicing and I'm getting really comfortable with All of the vocalizations with this one call.

I've watched all of Scott's videos and they have helped immensely.  I actually knew I was a center airflow guy several years ago and only used split v and ghost cuts but it wasn't until last spring that I started using low stretch that everything came together.  I hope this thread helps others look at the stretch they are using.