OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

TSS in older chokes

Started by krm944, January 15, 2024, 09:53:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

krm944

I know that older chokes may not be rated for TSS- are they made of a softer or different material?

What makes a TSS choke different from a non TSS choke?

Tom007

Hopefully William from Sumtoy sees this, he will have the answer. He makes custom choke tubes, great guy...
"Solo hunter"

SumToy

I can not say for other companies.   Now we been running SS for the entire time we been building hunting line of chokes.   Now that said the TSS is harder then the barrel and the choke.   Can it hurt your gun?  Yes   Will it hurt your gun? that is a loaded question.    We have seen damage to chokes and barrels.  Now was it hay bubba hold my beer?  We see more of it in the smaller stuff (410s) folks running bigger loads looking for the numbers instead of moving up to a bigger gun.   The 12s have been the next line that been trouble.   20s not so much because they kill all you need with the normal loads out. 

That is why I have always said buy a cheap gun to turkey hunt with.   You only shoot it a few times a year.   Keep your high end stuff for the other stuff.   

Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

krm944

William-

Thank you for the detailed response. We have all seen the warnings on chokes, lead only and now chokes that are made for TSS. I have long accepted the fact TSS may damage a choke or barrel.

With the 410 damage that you have seen, do you attribute that to
- Longer shot string for 3/4- 1 ounce loads?
- higher chamber pressures?
- Number of shots?

Have you attributed TSS shot size to potential damage? Would you think 10s are less of a concern than say 4s or 2s?

Again many thanks!

SumToy

The 410 stuff has been in the forcing cone that got beat up.   Now we lengthening it and that help.   Now the choke damage is from big loads.   Everyone thinks you got to have 5000 in a 10 inch to kill a birds.     

The lead only most the time was to keep the duck hunter from doing stupid stuff.   I had one guy talking about killing duck long ways.  I ask him what choke he said your 665.    Well we finally got it out. :TrainWreck1:
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA