OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

The White Whale …

Started by davisd9, September 20, 2023, 02:29:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davisd9

Quote from: PharmHunter on September 21, 2023, 10:37:54 AM
I could probably come by your house and grab a couple of mine...;)

But at the top of that list would be one of Rev Zach's.

We all need to quit talking about it and meet up to run some calls.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

davisd9

Some great white whales out there. Thanks for taking the time to converse and not just shoot out a generic answer.

If someone has some white whales outside the air operated calls feel free to join in by the virtual fire!
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

crow

The white whale of getting to hunt with the Henry Davis Greener gun like Mark Prudhomme did or hunting with the original Jordan call like Tim Beech, would be very cool

ejacks10s

I'll take a hunt with Larry Proffitt...& just soak things up like a sponge

davisd9

Quote from: ejacks10s on September 22, 2023, 09:07:31 AM
I'll take a hunt with Larry Proffitt...& just soak things up like a sponge

That would be a heck of a hunt!

tal

I liked his book. He attends Unicoi.

greentrout

I am fairly new to air operated callers so my list still includes some that are somewhat easy to obtain, but also some harder ones.

I want a matching set of Buice's in Osage.
I have a long list of more models I hope to get from Mr. Permar. It's almost impossible to get more than one a year now so this will take some time.
I, like everyone probably, would like a Farmer.
Looking to buy Allen Dunfee scratch boxes.

gaswamp

I have no white whales anymore.  I have been on the Farmer list since 2007. Ain't gonna happen and didn't really care after I got a couple of Cox trumpets.  Did almost buy a well worn Neil Cost box from Wendell Lancaster one year at Unicoi. Think he was gonna let me have it for $750.  It sounded really really good.  But told myself I had some Mann and Harwell boxes that sounded just as good.  Not into collecting anymore.   Got too many as is.  25 boxes and 25 pots and 3 trumpets is enough.   

Gobbler428

Quote from: gaswamp on October 11, 2023, 03:22:13 PM
I have no white whales anymore.  I have been on the Farmer list since 2007. Ain't gonna happen and didn't really care after I got a couple of Cox trumpets.  Did almost buy a well worn Neil Cost box from Wendell Lancaster one year at Unicoi. Think he was gonna let me have it for $750.  It sounded really really good.  But told myself I had some Mann and Harwell boxes that sounded just as good.  Not into collecting anymore.   Got too many as is.  25 boxes and 25 pots and 3 trumpets is enough.
Obviously you need more trumpets

Meleagris gallopavo

I typically send wood to call makers, but I'll take just about anything from KP, Prudhomme and Dangerfield.  Those are the 3 makers I really want a trumpet from now.  To make it harder, I'm not one to buy calls in the secondary market.  It's from the maker or nothing for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

gaswamp

Quote from: Gobbler428 on October 11, 2023, 06:10:56 PM
Quote from: gaswamp on October 11, 2023, 03:22:13 PM
Obviously you need more trumpets

no not need but want. I probably wouldn't mind having one Buice.  But should have gotten one of them ten years ago. 

ChiefBubba

Mine is a Holy Land Olive wood from Billy Buice. Bubba

Greg Massey

I want a Mike Battey trumpet...

davisd9

Have enjoyed the thread guys! Only issue is y'all may be adding to my white whales!  :toothy12:

davisd9

Quote from: Meleagris gallopavo on October 12, 2023, 05:05:13 AM
I typically send wood to call makers, but I'll take just about anything from KP, Prudhomme and Dangerfield.  Those are the 3 makers I really want a trumpet from now.  To make it harder, I'm not one to buy calls in the secondary market.  It's from the maker or nothing for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nothing wrong with want directly from builder. I prefer that as well, but some white whales or just great calls have been found thanks to secondary market. Secondary market also builds some friendships.