OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

The White Whale …

Started by davisd9, September 20, 2023, 02:29:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davisd9

Have always claimed that I was not much of a collector but a hunter. Well I still lean that way but getting harder and harder to convince myself that there is not a little bit of a collector in me. I have been messing with trumpet calls since around 2013 or so. A mentor of mine used one for mainly tree calling so I had to have one. Bought a Joe Slaton English Walnut with corian mouth piece. My next call with a Billy Buice 6" Osage with push in 3 and 4 mouthpiece, at this point I was hooked. As the journey has gone on I have pretty much identified call makers I prefer and stick to buying their calls. I always enjoy trying new ones at Unicoi and pick up a couple that just cannot be left on the table. You never know who is hunting around you and you never want them to have a really good call.

Over the years I have had and have a few white whales that I am trying to locate. Most of these white whales are what I feel are pieces in trumpet call history, nothing close to what someone like Mr. Ellis would have, but calls I would love to take to the woods.

I was fortunate to catch one of my white whales recently by finding a Kenny Pedelahore wingbone. Was so much fun to finally get one and hunt with it after being on the lookout for a few years.

Some white whales I am still chasing are a Rev Farmer call, a Billy Buice flat top 5-1/2", and an older Frank Cox trumpet, the slimmer design.  I doubt I catch many if any of these white whales but that will not stop me from looking and dreaming.

Anyway, what are your white whales? Does not have to be something crazy rare or overly expensive? Just what is that call that you just want to put your hands on?
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

afhunter1

KP KOA
KP Green / Osage
Hagler
Dangerfield
Farmer
Newer Prudhomme

That's my list.   Ha ha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davisd9

Quote from: afhunter1 on September 20, 2023, 02:31:48 PM
KP KOA
KP Green / Osage

Farmer

Newer Prudhomme

That's my list.   Ha ha.

Strong list!
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

afhunter1

Added a few more.   Ha ha

eorlando

Quote from: davisd9 on September 20, 2023, 02:29:11 PM
Have always claimed that I was not much of a collector but a hunter. Well I still lean that way but getting harder and harder to convince myself that there is not a little bit of a collector in me. I have been messing with trumpet calls since around 2013 or so. A mentor of mine used one for mainly tree calling so I had to have one. Bought a Joe Slaton English Walnut with corian mouth piece. My next call with a Billy Buice 6" Osage with push in 3 and 4 mouthpiece, at this point I was hooked. As the journey has gone on I have pretty much identified call makers I prefer and stick to buying their calls. I always enjoy trying new ones at Unicoi and pick up a couple that just cannot be left on the table. You never know who is hunting around you and you never want them to have a really good call.

Over the years I have had and have a few white whales that I am trying to locate. Most of these white whales are what I feel are pieces in trumpet call history, nothing close to what someone like Mr. Ellis would have, but calls I would love to take to the woods.

I was fortunate to catch one of my white whales recently by finding a Kenny Pedelahore wingbone. Was so much fun to finally get one and hunt with it after being on the lookout for a few years.

Some white whales I am still chasing are a Rev Farmer call, a Billy Buice flat top 5-1/2", and an older Frank Cox trumpet, the slimmer design.  I doubt I catch many if any of these white whales but that will not stop me from looking and dreaming.

Anyway, what are your white whales? Does not have to be something crazy rare or overly expensive? Just what is that call that you just want to put your hands on?
I have 2/3 of your white whales. The 5.5" Buice flattop and the older Cox. Neither are for sale though.

My white whale would be an all ivory Buice or Cox call, a farmer call or the 25th anniversary Billy Buice set. I have the 40th and 50th already and would love to have all 3. I had a chance to pick one up a couple years ago and drug my feet on it and it sold. Ugh.

Greg Massey

Lot's of good trumpet builders... I tell people it's amazing the sounds of turkeys that each builder has and what sounds he puts into his trumpet / callers ....

outdoors

Quote from: Greg Massey on September 20, 2023, 03:52:29 PM
Lot's of good trumpet builders... I tell people it's amazing the sounds of turkeys that each builder has and what sounds he puts into his trumpet / callers ....
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Bedge7767

I'm one of those hated collectors. I really wanted a Buckner  Rose Engine and I finally found one but it cost me. I'm also always looking for more Buice calls.
Jim

davisd9

Quote from: Bedge7767 on September 20, 2023, 07:06:40 PM
I'm one of those hated collectors. I really wanted a Buckner  Rose Engine and I finally found one but it cost me. I'm also always looking for more Buice calls.

Them collectors are not so bad. Lol. Those Buckner's are top shelf

GobbleGitr

congrats on the KP bone! I finally was able to get a Buckner Rose Engine secondhand-a beaut

Ranger

Cox African Blackwood and Ivory
Buice Osage Flat Top with corian made for Dwain Bland
Larry Hearn prototype call would be a treasure

White Whales already acquired: two personal hunting calls of Lewis Stowe. Including the Davis style yelper he used to kill his last gobbler.
"One can work for his gobbler by learning to communicate with him, or one can 'buy' his turkey with a decoy.  The choice is up to the 'hunter' " --William Yarbrough

Terry

I recently received my White Whale after a call maker friend of mine made a trumpet for me out of a material I didn't think I would ever see from him. Nothing else at this point is on my want list.

wchadw

Farmer
Buice flat top
Hegler
Maybe another hornstra

davisd9

Quote from: Ranger on September 20, 2023, 10:38:19 PM
White Whales already acquired: two personal hunting calls of Lewis Stowe. Including the Davis style yelper he used to kill his last gobbler.

That is a couple big fish for sure! Congratulations!

PharmHunter

I could probably come by your house and grab a couple of mine...;)

But at the top of that list would be one of Rev Zach's.