Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Devotion - Wednesday - 7/6/11 - State of the Union

Started by lightsoutcalls, July 06, 2011, 11:40:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lightsoutcalls

Over the past days, weeks and months I have been sickened by what seems to be a daily decline of morals in society.  From music and movies to policies and politics it seems that our nation has been running blindly into a "Sodom and Gomorrah" mentality.  Even more startling and appalling is the push by various government agencies to make deviant behaviors and practices protected by laws and opposition to such punishable as crimes.  While I continue to be amazed at the reasoning given and arguments made for this decay of society, the Bible clearly warned of such some 2,000 years ago:

2 Timothy 3:1-5
New Living Translation (NLT)
2 Timothy 3
The Dangers of the Last Days
1 You should know this, Timothy, that in the last days there will be very difficult times. 2 For people will love only themselves and their money. They will be boastful and proud, scoffing at God, disobedient to their parents, and ungrateful. They will consider nothing sacred. 3 They will be unloving and unforgiving; they will slander others and have no self-control. They will be cruel and hate what is good. 4 They will betray their friends, be reckless, be puffed up with pride, and love pleasure rather than God. 5 They will act religious, but they will reject the power that could make them godly. Stay away from people like that!

While it seems very clear that all of the above character traits can be found in abundance everywhere we look, we don't need to be alarmed.  So, what should we do?  We should pray towards another "last days" prophecy that Peter referenced in Acts 2.  (The original text he was referring to was in Joel 2.) 

Acts 2:17-21
New Living Translation (NLT)
17 'In the last days,' God says,
'I will pour out my Spirit upon all people.
Your sons and daughters will prophesy.
Your young men will see visions,
and your old men will dream dreams.
18 In those days I will pour out my Spirit
even on my servants—men and women alike—
and they will prophesy.
19 And I will cause wonders in the heavens above
and signs on the earth below—
blood and fire and clouds of smoke.
20 The sun will become dark,
and the moon will turn blood red
before that great and glorious day of the LORD arrives.
21 But everyone who calls on the name of the LORD
will be saved.'

We've all heard the saying "desperate times call for desperate measures".  If ever there were desperate times, it is now.  If ever there were times for desperate measures, it is now.  So what are "desperate measures" appropriate for the times?  Draw closer to God.  Any step you take that leads you closer to God and seeking His will for your life and the deepening of relationship is a step in the right direction.  As we begin to draw closer to God and seek his will for our lives, we can also seek his will for our families, then our communities and even our nation.  We may not have wide spheres of influence individually, but don't forget, we are members of one body with God as the head. What can one person do?

James 4:8
New King James Version (NKJV)
8 Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners; and purify your hearts, you double-minded.

Take a couple of minutes and listen to the song below:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=xM2c7fiDTpc
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

BOFF

Roostem33

The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.(John 10:10)

pappy

So what are "desperate measures" appropriate for the times?  Draw closer to God.
You are spot on with this Wendell, thank you so much for the encouraging words...pappy
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206