News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Reliable Pump

Started by Tally Turkey, May 16, 2023, 02:59:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tally Turkey

Hi All,

I had my grandpa's old Mossberg 835 fail twice on me this season with Gobblers in range, and the birds walked both times. I've done all I can to clean and "restore" it, but I just don't trust it anymore.

I'm looking to buy a new pump with a focus on reliability that I can use for turkeys and as a backup to my SBE that I use for ducks.

I'm thinking 26" barrel, no red dot. I'm leaning towards a benelli super nova or Mossberg 835 but open to other ideas. Curious y'alls thoughts on the best reliable pump options available for me.

Thank you in advance!

USMC0331

870 . I have the old and the new one's and zero issues to report.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Ranman

The Nova is a descent shotgun, but hard to beat a Remington 870.

Farmboy27

Find a 15-20 year old 870 in good shape, buy it, and never look back!!  I bought my 870 sp in 1995 when I was 14 years old. That gun was my only shotgun for a lot of years and shot thousands of rounds hunting and thousands more shooting trap, skeet, and sporting clays. Looking back, I've killed turkeys, rabbits, squirrels, ring necks, grouse, snowshoes, groundhogs, fox, skunks, possums, coons, coyotes, bobcat, crows, ducks, geese, woodcock, doves, snakes, and one deer with that gun. Never had a single failure with it!! 

WildSpur

I echo the 870 recommendations.  Admittedly I was always a mossberg fan with a 500 being  my 1st shotgun.  The 870 though will likely always have aftermarket support and replacement parts. 

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Cluck more, yelp less

highball

sswv

Vintage

Greg Massey

870 ... all the way ... IMO

PV266

If you want better quality than the 835, with similar controls, check out a Browning BPS.

g8rvet

If I could only own one gun for everything, it would be an 870.  Unfortunately my son claimed mine!  I don't own one any more, but that gun did it all.  The only issue I ever  had with that gun (purchased in 1989 and used hard ever since), was that if it is dirty you will get some blowback from powder when it is humid or damp outside (just clean it!).  Not a single failure to fire or eject - ever! 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

runngun

Ithaca model 37 turkey slayer, if you can find one.
Browning BPS
Remington Model 870
Winchester 1300
Mossberg 835

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

mikejd

I have every one mentioned multiples and my favorite is winchester 1300.

Lcmacd 58

Ive owned an 870 since I was 6 .... yes the same 1 .... I wouldn't hesitate to take it to the field any day. Its since been retired when I started waterfowl hunting but gets brought out once in a while for dive season.  It's a battleship.

Canadian

From owning one myself, and watching lots of turkey hunting videos, ive found that 8/10 times i see a shotgun misfire or fail, its been a mossberg pump... I got a buddy thats shot over 100,000 rounds through his 500, so maybe its just luck of the draw with em, and he got a good one? Anyways, i got a BPS and absolutely love it. Ambidextrous too. Highly recommend it. Points good, shoots good, smooth action, and reliable. When i pull the trigger, it always goes boom for me.

Sent from my moto g 5G (2022) using Tapatalk