only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Bumping hen of the nest

Started by chadly, May 09, 2023, 09:07:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paulmyr

Quote from: Farmboy27 on May 10, 2023, 04:35:17 PM
Quote from: Candyman on May 10, 2023, 12:56:11 PM
If turkeys could smell like a deer we would never kill one. The lingering scent would only attract the attention of predators in my opinion. It has nothing to do with the hen smelling you. And I assumed you approached the nest to be able to count the eggs as you
Mentioned specific numbers in your initial post.

Springtime is a beautiful time to be in the woods. Carry on.....
If predators were attracted to human scent there would be a hell of a lot less coyotes around!!

Pretty sure racoons that rummage through garbage cans and hang around farms or deer feeders can learn to associate food with human scent.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

hawkeye1958

Raccoons are definitely attracted to human scent.

Howieg

Imo , I think the 50 /50 #,s are not very accurate. I've witnessed them come back to there eggs to many times .   Vacate the location , and don't go back is my advice .

Brillo

If I was a tom I would kick every hen off her nest and start over again!   :funnyturkey:

Zobo

There are so many species of edible mushrooms that fruit throughout the summer and into autumn and even winter. There's so much more than morels out there. If you're concerned about disturbing nests I'd look into other species of mushrooms that fruit later in your area. It's just as rewarding to find some choice edible Polypores, Boletes, Chanterelles, Black Trumpets, etc. If you want to learn more I suggest joining a local mushroom club.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

chadly

Quote from: Zobo on May 11, 2023, 08:18:27 AM
There are so many species of edible mushrooms that fruit throughout the summer and into autumn and even winter. There's so much more than morels out there. If you're concerned about disturbing nests I'd look into other species of mushrooms that fruit later in your area. It's just as rewarding to find some choice edible Polypores, Boletes, Chanterelles, Black Trumpets, etc. If you want to learn more I suggest joining a local mushroom club.
I am concerned about disturbing a nests.  We all should be.  I was just shocked about the 50% number that was stated that would come back to the nest after being bumped.  I've just never heard that statement.  As far as morels I don't eat them.  I love to hunt.  Even mushrooms I get so excited about.  The families and co-workers we have been able to bless has been great this year.  However, my wife and kids do eat them so some are saved for them.