OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Bumping hen of the nest

Started by chadly, May 09, 2023, 09:07:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chadly

My family and I have been out mushroom picking three times in three different areas this year.  Each time we have spooked a hen off the nest.  Egg numbers were 11, 17, & 13.  Watching the THP video the other day when they had the DNR biologist on said that bumping hens off the nest has a 50/50 chance of the hen abandoning the nest or coming back.  This is not good news.  I hate to quit shrooming.  In no way could we have know we would bump them.  We never know they were there until they flew.  Hate to think a family out of fun could be devastating on turkeys. 
Just curious to your experience or comments on the matter.
Blessings.  Chad

Greg Massey

Bumping them  off the nest is not good for sure ...

Shiloh

It's not ideal, but I have to believe that they get bumped all the time.  The only time that I have seen them not go back to nest is when hay mowers go around the nest leaving them on an island.  I would think a one off bump in the woods and she is likely to come back.

Paulmyr

I'm under the impression that It depends on how much time and energy she has invested in the nest as to whether she may abandon it or not. With the number of eggs you seen in each nest id say that a pretty big investment to leave and try to start over.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

jb1069

I would have to ask myself. Is that mushroom worth the risk? To me its not. But to other people it is.

Turkeybutt

It's not an ideal situation but you didn't go out in the woods with the intentions of bumping hens off the nest. It happened, and hopefully the hens will return to the nest.

arkrem870

We are pushing our spring seasons back based on an unproven theory......more hens are getting bumped off nests by hunters as a result. Pick your poison.

Candyman

If disturbing the hens bothers you then once you bump her don't go count the eggs. It's going to happen if you spend enough time in the Spring woods but no need to count eggs.

Farmboy27

I really have a hard time believing that 50% of hens scared of the nest don't return. People are not the only thing that sends hens off the nest. The woods is full of animals that will scare turkeys. If that truly is the case then spring turkey hunting should be limited to 1/2 hour after sunrise to limit the chances of that happening! 

chadly

Quote from: Candyman on May 09, 2023, 04:33:34 PM
If disturbing the hens bothers you then once you bump her don't go count the eggs. It's going to happen if you spend enough time in the Spring woods but no need to count eggs.
Curious how does counting the eggs effects anything?  Thanks.

Candyman

It further disturbs the area. Adds your scent close to the nest for predators to key on. If you flush a hen why not just walk away/around the nest and not approach it?

chadly

Quote from: Candyman on May 10, 2023, 10:49:49 AM
It further disturbs the area. Adds your scent close to the nest for predators to key on. If you flush a hen why not just walk away/around the nest and not approach it?
Thanks.  Never did I say I approached the nest.  Thanks for clarifying.  I defiantly agree.  Get out of the area and do not come back.  I've thought about the scent.  Most say turkey's cant smell.  Predator's can and do fear man.  So would human scent next to a nest be a good or bad thing?  Just a thought.  Mine opinion stay away and don't come back. 

Candyman

If turkeys could smell like a deer we would never kill one. The lingering scent would only attract the attention of predators in my opinion. It has nothing to do with the hen smelling you. And I assumed you approached the nest to be able to count the eggs as you
Mentioned specific numbers in your initial post.

Springtime is a beautiful time to be in the woods. Carry on.....

merriamsman

A couple of days ago I accidentally bumped a hen off her nest with 14 eggs in it. Went back a couple of hours later knowing I could view the nest from a safe distance. She was back on the nest.

Farmboy27

Quote from: Candyman on May 10, 2023, 12:56:11 PM
If turkeys could smell like a deer we would never kill one. The lingering scent would only attract the attention of predators in my opinion. It has nothing to do with the hen smelling you. And I assumed you approached the nest to be able to count the eggs as you
Mentioned specific numbers in your initial post.

Springtime is a beautiful time to be in the woods. Carry on.....
If predators were attracted to human scent there would be a hell of a lot less coyotes around!!