turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

primos jelly head and federal HW

Started by killer, February 14, 2011, 09:44:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

killer

I already had a primos jelly head choke tube for my 870 youth but never used it.  I have a 1187 20 now and was just going to use that choke.  I bought some heavy weight #7's this weekend and some nitro's.  The guy told me not to shoot the HW thru any ported choke tube or it could blow up.  Is this accurate?  If so I will have to buy a solid choke tube.

hankpot

The fc wads that federal uses are designed to stay with the shot. The jh's are designed to strip the wad, so it kinda contradicts each other. I tried some federals with the fc wads through my jh and they werent horrible but sure werent great.Also I would find out if your factory choke is compatible with htl before I went that route.

hookedspur

Quote from: JohnDoe on February 14, 2011, 09:55:55 AM
NO   The pattern may Blow up but the gun and choke will be fine. Use the JH for the nitros, use your factory rem choke for the HW.

John
:icon_thumright:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Hunt4Meat

Quote from: hankpot on February 16, 2011, 02:39:57 AM
Also I would find out if your factory choke is compatible with htl before I went that route.

I looked into using my Remington Super full with Fed HW, and was advised not to do so becasue is says for lead only.

Just my $0.02
If at first you don't succeed, shoot again.

Longshanks

Quote from: killer on February 14, 2011, 09:44:28 AM
I already had a primos jelly head choke tube for my 870 youth but never used it.  I have a 1187 20 now and was just going to use that choke.  I bought some heavy weight #7's this weekend and some nitro's.  The guy told me not to shoot the HW thru any ported choke tube or it could blow up.  Is this accurate?  If so I will have to buy a solid choke tube.

Im getting fantastic results through a Hevi 13 and Fed HW's.  The choke is ported yet the HW's still shoot well out of the Hevi 13 choke.  John had some great advice for combos out of your set up.

gophert

You need to shoot it to tell if the Feds like it or not. Don't go by what Federal says.  In theory that is true, but it doesn't always play out that way.  I get the best performance with Fed HW #7's with a Indian Creek .555.  Go figure

surehuntsalot

I have got some great patterns with some Federal HW #6's and a" PORTED" .565 Truglo GSX
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

300Mag

Quote from:  link=topic=1143.msg196501#msg196501 date=1329149909
The new Remington Turkey Super Full is lead "lead only."

The original Remington Super Full is labeled for hevishot.

You have that backwards hal.