OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

New choke?shell combo for 12ga Nova

Started by mmusso, February 14, 2011, 09:26:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmusso

After a ton of patterning last year with a ported Carlson's choke, I ended up settling on  3"Hevi13 #6s, but I wasn't thrilled about the numbers (140 if I remember right). I spent a ton of money on shells, and I didn't want to spend anymore, so I called it quits. Now I've got the urge to pick up a choke or two at the convention this weekend to try and do a little better, so what are some choke and shell combos that you Nova shooters are using? I was thinking either PG or IC with Hevi13 6, 7, or Mag blends. Any input?

hookedspur

Please try the 7s with either the PG or IC.  I think you will like them .
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

drum817

Quote from: hookedspur on February 14, 2011, 09:41:59 AM
Please try the 7s with either the PG or IC.  I think you will like them .

What he said !!!  Try the 3" or 3.5" Hevi-13 7's.  Here's my best pattern so far with my supernova, Indian Creek .665 & 3.5" #7's......

"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

bird

What length of barrel do you have on the Nova?  From personal experience I have noticed that the Nova 26" barrel just doesn't get the same pattern as a 24" Nova barrel using the same shell and the same choke.  We even swapped chokes and still the 26" barrel just didn't get the consistent performance of the 24" Nova barrel.  I believe that a IC .665 or a PG .670 is about the best choke you can put in a 24" Nova. 

Good Luck ~ Hunt Safe ~ Take Lots of Pictures

bird

ILIKEHEVI-13

That is bad to the bone right there.   :z-guntootsmiley:

redleg06

I got a 26" barrel nova and had great luck with both the Pure Gold and IC. 

I decided I was going to shoot the Mag Blends and was shooting in the high 230's to high 240's with both the IC and Pure gold.  I ended up going with the PG because the numbers were about the same in the 10" circle but a little more evenly spread.

You wont go wrong with either choke IMO. 

mmusso

What he said !!!  Try the 3" or 3.5" Hevi-13 7's.  Here's my best pattern so far with my supernova, Indian Creek .665 & 3.5" #7's......

[/quote]

Yeah, thanks man. I saw your post right before posting this one. That's a nasty pattern! It made me really start second guessing mine... I'm pretty sure mine is the 26" barrel, but I'll double check it after work.

mmusso

It's the 26" barrel. This should be a quick patterning session with the IC or PG and H13 #7s. Thanks for your help.
Matt