News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Sometimes I wonder..

Started by Mick2394, April 30, 2023, 09:53:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

WV Flopper

To the OP.

On your second turkey, it is what it is, sometimes they play rough.

On the first turkey. I do not mean to be a penis. But, you have identified a couple issues. Whether you realize them or not. You pinpointed a couple reason in your post WHY this happened.

Mother nature played a part, you did the second, the gobbler did the third. You finished it by flushing him from the limb.

Good lessons in what you wrote. Identify them and fix the ones you control.

Best of luck.

g8rvet

That is true Flopper, but when one of my nephews was striking out on his own, one piece of advice I gave him that he said was the most useful (I took him with me plenty when he was younger) was that you are going to bump a bird on the limb every once in a blue moon.  If you never do it, ever, you are probably not getting close enough.  He was so scared to bump one, he would not get in tight on them (like before he even called). 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

WV Flopper

I have flushed a few truck loads of turkeys off them limb. Mostly when the leaves came out heavy while I was working. One week no leaves, next weekend lots of leaves.

But, if you don't know where he is setting do you keep advancing? I don't, you shouldn't. That was issue #4.

I don't like being inside a 100 yards. This is my personal preference. I know a lot of guys like to get tight, I do not.

If your within 60-70-80 yards and a turkey flies down and covers 30 yards on fly down he can be perfect. He can be to the left or right. Then you have to move! I like to let them fly down so I can adjust to his landing location while still having a little distance between us. A 100 yards is as close as I want to be, open woods will be more.

Mick2394

Quote from: WV Flopper on May 01, 2023, 08:23:06 PM
I have flushed a few truck loads of turkeys off them limb. Mostly when the leaves came out heavy while I was working. One week no leaves, next weekend lots of leaves.

But, if you don't know where he is setting do you keep advancing? I don't, you shouldn't. That was issue #4.

I don't like being inside a 100 yards. This is my personal preference. I know a lot of guys like to get tight, I do not.

If your within 60-70-80 yards and a turkey flies down and covers 30 yards on fly down he can be perfect. He can be to the left or right. Then you have to move! I like to let them fly down so I can adjust to his landing location while still having a little distance between us. A 100 yards is as close as I want to be, open woods will be more.
Will for sure say the bird on the limb was my fault. I honestly thought by that time of morning he was already down and I went looking for him because he was a ways off when I heard him gobble. Lookin back now I wish I would've just stayed put for another hour or so and seen how he played it out..he wasn't in a hurry and I shouldn't have been either. Just one of those stupid mistakes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Semper Fi

g8rvet

Quote from: WV Flopper on May 01, 2023, 08:23:06 PM

I agree.  100 yards is very tight in some situations.  I just wanted to say that busting one will sometimes happen-try not to ever do it, but don't beat yourself up when it does.  And for sure, if you do not know where he is, sit down.  That philosophy cost me a lot of time this year on one bird, but ended with him taking a truck ride.  I wanted to err on not busting him  and being patient.  I kept him interested and he eventually worked around to me.

And Mick, turkeys work on turkey time and that is different every day.  Sometimes they will cover a 100 yards in less than 5 minutes and sometimes it will take an hour. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.