turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Sometimes I wonder..

Started by Mick2394, April 30, 2023, 09:53:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mick2394

If I have the worst luck or it's just one of those days..to start the day off yesterday I went back to hunt a bird that I heard on Friday. Went into a new spot blind so I was just poking around trying to find a bird. Struck him at 645 got setup and never heard him gobble again, whether it was the pouring rain or fog that shut him up don't know. Anyway went back yesterday morning to where I thought he was roosted ended up being about 200 yards in the wrong direction so after a while I got up and slowly started working to him stopping about every 50 yards and soft calling.. No response..well I ended up blowing him off the tree at about 0745. Waited an hour and went down the mountain to try to find him..no luck. Decided to come back home and try to find one. Got on another one at 1030 but apparently he wasn't ready to sign the dotted line either..called and he responded right away figured it was a done deal but ended up messing with him until 12. Don't know what held him up but I think the closest I had him was around 80 yards..couldn't see him over the hill..hoping this luck turns around

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Semper Fi

Turkeybutt

Bad luck or misfortune all around. It can only get better!

Mick2394

Quote from: Turkeybutt on April 30, 2023, 10:36:56 AM
Bad luck or misfortune all around. It can only get better!
Always light at the end of the tunnel

Semper Fi

Tom007

Persistence will prevail. Stay the course, your luck will break in your favor.....be safe....
"Solo hunter"

Greg Massey

Definitely the fog and rain didn't help. But we all get frustrated with hunting these gobblers. Stay persistent and hopefully all your time and effort will pay off.  I tell people I've been so mad at myself and frustrated in chasing these gobblers that i have come out of the woods whipped and wanted to cry all the way back to the cabin or truck...But I'm back at it and the chase is on again... LOL... Those easy hunts are far and in between ...LOL..

BBR12

Sounds like great luck to me. Come down here to S. MS and we can go listen several days and we may hear one gobble a time or two. 

olemossyhorns

Definitely sounds like one of those days. You could go tomorrow and everyone of those birds might come in on a string. The good days make it worth the bad days you struggle through chasing them.

357MAGNOLE

I've had way worse luck. I watched a bird in the same spot for weeks. Went to set up on him my first available day. Didn't hear a thing off the roost. By 0900 I decided to pack it up, walked towards his little strut zone to see if there was fresh sign from the day before. There was! And there was some neck feathers and a flight control wad!

Lol that is bad luck..wasted 3 hours looking for a ghost.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

Mick2394

Persistence is definitely the key to this game..might take a sick day tomorrow and see if I can get back on him..shouldn't necessarily say it's bad luck, I've found birds..just need that one to make the wrong move

Semper Fi

Mick2394

Quote from: 357MAGNOLE on April 30, 2023, 11:37:32 AM
I've had way worse luck. I watched a bird in the same spot for weeks. Went to set up on him my first available day. Didn't hear a thing off the roost. By 0900 I decided to pack it up, walked towards his little strut zone to see if there was fresh sign from the day before. There was! And there was some neck feathers and a flight control wad!

Lol that is bad luck..wasted 3 hours looking for a ghost.
Yeah that's never good lol

Semper Fi

Mick2394

Quote from: olemossyhorns on April 30, 2023, 11:25:30 AM
Definitely sounds like one of those days. You could go tomorrow and everyone of those birds might come in on a string. The good days make it worth the bad days you struggle through chasing them.
100% right mossy..

Semper Fi

Mick2394

Quote from: Tom007 on April 30, 2023, 11:11:47 AM
Persistence will prevail. Stay the course, your luck will break in your favor.....be safe....
Hope so. Thank you, same to you

Semper Fi

Mick2394

Quote from: Greg Massey on April 30, 2023, 11:17:16 AM
Definitely the fog and rain didn't help. But we all get frustrated with hunting these gobblers. Stay persistent and hopefully all your time and effort will pay off.  I tell people I've been so mad at myself and frustrated in chasing these gobblers that i have come out of the woods whipped and wanted to cry all the way back to the cabin or truck...But I'm back at it and the chase is on again... LOL... Those easy hunts are far and in between ...LOL..
Definitely how I was feeling this weekend lol..makes me sick having to leave the woods with a bird gobbling!

Semper Fi

Mick2394

Quote from: BBR12 on April 30, 2023, 11:17:48 AM
Sounds like great luck to me. Come down here to S. MS and we can go listen several days and we may hear one gobble a time or two.
Gosh that sounds like hard hunting there..makes me feel a little better about my season so far

Semper Fi

Prospector

You ain't killin but you are striking birds- THATs 67% of the equation right there. Be patient- they almost in the right frame of mind. It doesn't take but a few minutes for the other 37% to pan out. Shoot straight
In life and Turkey hunting: Give it a whirl. Everything works once and Nothing works everytime!