OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Question for all you mossberg 835 guys

Started by nflorek, June 30, 2011, 02:37:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nflorek

My question is on a choke tube for a 835. I have a local mom and pop sporting goods store that has had this used choke tube in a unmarked bag for many many years. i never really gave any thought cause i never had an 835 till a few months ago. The guy that works there had no clue on what it was or how much he wanted for it and owner of this store is never there cause now he's in his mid 70's. So today i thought i would take a ride and see if that choke tube was still there. It was still there and the owner happened to be there today. When i asked him about he said it was a choke from one of his own guns that he got 20+ years ago and he wanted $20 for it. He could not remember what kind it was. So for $20 i walked out the door with it. Now for the choke it is stainless steel it looks like a cross between an Indian creek and a M.A.D calls super max hevi-shot tube with the same 30 ports. It had the ring around it like the M.A.D tube that this with this donut looking thing with a flat spot that you can take off with a allen screw. It has no wad strippers in it and the only markings are FL L835 and its .710. I am going to try to make it easy and get a pic posted just can't figure  out how to do it yet.

ILIKEHEVI-13

The old MAD Super Max chokes that were in fact made by Indian Creek for the 835's were .695 exit diameter chokes.  You post a picture of it, and I can probably tell you what it is.  

S.C.C

There was a fella on gunbroker that had a bunch of those for sale.....forget the name of the choke company now, ILIKEHEVI-13 did post the link on here about them when he had them for sale!!

ILIKEHEVI-13

nflorek

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on June 30, 2011, 06:28:13 PM
Yea he's probably talking about Dayson Arms.  

They made that choke in a .710.

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,5052.msg61111.html#msg61111
Yes you are right that is the choke. Anybody know anything about them i know its old cause i had seen it there for years.

sugarray

What are you going to be shooting through this choke?

I shoot an IC .710, but I shoot handloaded TSS and needed to open up the pattern a bit.  If you are going to shoot Hevi 6 or 7, I would go with a .670 or .675 for you most dense patterns, maybe to a .680 or .685 to get a better hunting spread in the 20".  I'm not sure with factory loads that you will be happy with your turkey patterns from this choke in the 835.

nflorek

Quote from: sugarray on July 01, 2011, 09:38:49 AM
What are you going to be shooting through this choke?

I shoot an IC .710, but I shoot handloaded TSS and needed to open up the pattern a bit.  If you are going to shoot Hevi 6 or 7, I would go with a .670 or .675 for you most dense patterns, maybe to a .680 or .685 to get a better hunting spread in the 20".  I'm not sure with factory loads that you will be happy with your turkey patterns from this choke in the 835.
I am going to be shooting TSS 9's out of it and it is the 20" barrel.

honker22

for TSS, that will probably be a good choke.  From my experience, the TSS loves a more open choke.  FYI- I shoot a .675 IC out of my 870 and TSS 9s.  Wicked patterns and look fwd to seeing yours
People who don't get it, don't get that they don't get it.

nflorek

If you google this choke nothing comes up. I'm not sure how long Indian creek has been in business for but was this made before them? 

sugarray

Well, alrighty then.  I am looking forward to seeing your patterns too.  If I hadn't had mine camo dipped I'd try a .720. 
I have a 20" barrel as well.  My shooting this spring gave me a 284 then 296 in a 10" at 40 yds.  My 10-20" area didn't suffer.  I shot at 10 yds and the total pattern was about 6".  I don't want them that close anyway.  I would caution you to look at a lot of patterns and decide what you want your patterns to be before you shoot, it will save you a lot of shooting.  It would have me.  Best to you and look forward to seeing your patterns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

allaboutshooting

Quote from: nflorek on June 30, 2011, 02:37:32 PM
My question is on a choke tube for a 835. I have a local mom and pop sporting goods store that has had this used choke tube in a unmarked bag for many many years. i never really gave any thought cause i never had an 835 till a few months ago. The guy that works there had no clue on what it was or how much he wanted for it and owner of this store is never there cause now he's in his mid 70's. So today i thought i would take a ride and see if that choke tube was still there. It was still there and the owner happened to be there today. When i asked him about he said it was a choke from one of his own guns that he got 20+ years ago and he wanted $20 for it. He could not remember what kind it was. So for $20 i walked out the door with it. Now for the choke it is stainless steel it looks like a cross between an Indian creek and a M.A.D calls super max hevi-shot tube with the same 30 ports. It had the ring around it like the M.A.D tube that this with this donut looking thing with a flat spot that you can take off with a allen screw. It has no wad strippers in it and the only markings are FL L835 and its .710. I am going to try to make it easy and get a pic posted just can't figure  out how to do it yet.

Here's a link that you may find to be of help. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=224319747

I've seen these chokes off and on in shops for years. There is a shop nearby that has one as a "display" of different choke designs that have evolved over the years.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

nflorek

Quote from: allaboutshooting on July 02, 2011, 10:56:30 AM
Quote from: nflorek on June 30, 2011, 02:37:32 PM

Here's a link that you may find to be of help. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=224319747

I've seen these chokes off and on in shops for years. There is a shop nearby that has one as a "display" of different choke designs that have evolved over the years.
So the paper work says  1994 so in fact it was made before IC chokes. IC must of bought the patent on it them?
Thanks,
Clark

allaboutshooting

Those chokes, or ones of similar design(s), have been around for many years. I think the one that I've seen on display was produced prior to 1994 but I'm not sure of that. I know I've seen it for years. I could probably inquire at the shop and see what they have to say about that.

I have no idea about the patent matter.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."