turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

I hunt in tennis shoes!

Started by longbow59, April 28, 2023, 10:40:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brillo

I am looking at everything in light of traveling lite but I'm NOT giving up my insulated boots at our sub freezing temps.  I wear sandals and sneakers canoeing after May but hate having cold, wet feet all day. 

Lcmacd 58

Cold wet feet .... :P
I'm sticking with my muck boots....

RustyBarrels

Been many a May when an old pair of boat shoes was the key ingredient to keeping me comfy.  If I can stay comfy, I can stay longer. My PB came on a hot day, after 5 long hrs from initiating our convo to closing the deal. Them old birds are a tough sale.
As for terrain, i think having on a different type shoe makes you walk, well, different.  You could say its a nice change in step

ChesterCopperpot

I can't wear tennis shoes on account of the terrain. Too steep and rocky and would be easy to roll or break an ankle. Wish I could, though. They say a pound off your feet is ten pounds off your back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bwhana

I wear Hoka running shoes most of my hunts, but use Lowa Renegades for mountain hunting due to the support needed.

A couple of year ago, I found these Bates boots that are basically equivalent to higher top running shoes and I love them.  Have started using them in the mountains some too.  https://www.militarybootsdirect.com/bates-boots-e04031.html

I don't care about waterproofing - I always wear merino wool socks of varying thickness (Darn Tough brand) which keeps my feet warm even when wet and dries out fast enough for me.  I also have never gotten a blister in my life, so some of you may not be able to do that.  I also carry a spare pair of socks with me to change if needed or desired.

howl

You can get a .410 that weighs less than 4#. That cuts enough off your weight budget to add
an aluminum chair. Comfort aside, the chairs allow setting up in places sitting on the ground would not work very well. I have killed turkeys I would not have without the chair and I have killed turkeys sitting on the ground with the chair lying next to me. I only leave the chair in the truck when I have a quick specific play in mind and no time for anything else.

I did similar with footwear when I hunted similar country, but lighter construction mountaineering boots leaves me less fatigued elsewhere. We have some rough country around here with lots of up and down steep ridges. It's not high elevation mountains but you are always climbing or descending. Mountain boots are like installing a set of steps up the side of a hill.

falconiii

Ankles need more support. But I'm with you on those knee boots being a poor choice in SW Alabama. Too many sandy clay ridges shifting to hardwood bottoms. I have been using lightweight hikers and just been sucking it up when they get wet. There have been a number of advancements though with these waterproof socks, and I am going to give them a try this year. 

eddie234

When I plan on doing a lot of walking I'll wear a pair of lite weight hiking shoes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Knights6

I use a North Mountain Gear leafy suit. I just ist wear a pair of OD green scrubs under them, I have like four pairs of them I tactically acquired before I retired from the Army. The scrubs are lightweight and breathable. In regards to footwear it depends on where I am hunting. Some areas have streams I have to cross and some areas have no major water features. If I am in an area with water it's rubber boots of not I wear a pair of merrells or lowa hiking boots. Regardless I wear my snake gaiters, in the part of Tennessee I am in we have copperheads and some rattlers.