OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Let's Get Real

Started by joey46, April 26, 2023, 04:02:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

357MAGNOLE

If the argument is geared towards the preservation of birds and growing flocks then the states should sell x number of tags.  A certain percentage should go to local individuals and then a certain percentage reserved for out of state. Say an 85/15 split or something like that.  But we all know it comes down to states making money out of it.

I also agree with wareagle22. I would like that for my state. Let locals have at it the first couple weeks before the out of state folks come in.  Almost like how they run youth weekends.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

ScottTaulbee

Quote from: 357MAGNOLE on April 27, 2023, 08:29:48 AM
If the argument is geared towards the preservation of birds and growing flocks then the states should sell x number of tags.  A certain percentage should go to local individuals and then a certain percentage reserved for out of state. Say an 85/15 split or something like that.  But we all know it comes down to states making money out of it.

I also agree with wareagle22. I would like that for my state. Let locals have at it the first couple weeks before the out of state folks come in.  Almost like how they run youth weekends.
I also agree with that and I think that's what I'm going to propose to our commissioners. Residents should have first crack at the places they pay for and then the non residents can knock themselves out after the first week or two. But our season is also pretty short compared to some. We get 3 weeks total.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turkey stew

8)
Quote from: ScottTaulbee on April 27, 2023, 06:41:49 AM
Quote from: sasquatch1 on April 26, 2023, 08:55:44 PM
Quote from: ScottTaulbee on April 26, 2023, 04:28:57 PM
I guess it isn't real to you because you aren't on the receiving end of the equation. When you use 4 days of your 10 days of vacation you get a year, and work for an employer that regularly has you work 7 days s week. Sometimes 50 to 60 days straight several times a year. You're also married, with 3 kids with the oldest being 5 that are already missing their dad. You wake up at 2:30 am and are on the road from 3 am until 12 pm trying to find an area within 3 hours of your house that isn't overloaded with a newfound surge of OOS. You burn 300$ in gas in 4 days just to actually get to hunt twice of those 4 days. Once at 2:30 pm and once in the morning. Both times you have OOS hunters walk in past you and blow birds that you have roosted or are working out. Then it's back to work and being a family man and trying to sneak out an evening or two before season ends. I don't have a problem with OOS hunters, but when it makes mine and any other hunters hunting opportunities non existent within 200 miles that have any stitch of ethics or respect, it's a problem.

People make choices, those guys hunting don't get to enjoy the family things you do either!

Some prioritize family, some prioritize hunting, and it's everyone's personal choice!

This sounds like religion, (Oh you don't like my god??? Maybe we need to go to war with each other)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
As far as license cost, I'd absolutely be happy with paying double for license costs if it meant actually getting the opportunity to hunt. And as far as the private ground debate, I'm not sure how it is in your area but around here our private ground hunting opportunity is non existent. People ruined that for others years ago, not considering most of it is leased up by outfitters or it's Amish owned now, which, in most cases the land is stripped barren. Like I stated in another thread, I don't hate OOS guys. Some of my best talks have been around a tailgate or WMA gate with OOS guys. And I don't look at it as we own the public land as residents. I welcome Respectful OOS guys that have the basic common courtesy to drive on by if they see a vehicle at a gate. Up until this year it's been that way. I met 3 this year that were great guys and that had been coming here for the last 4 or so years. The majority this year is like the duck hunting crowd, they leave trucks at gates and go elsewhere. They come crashing in on you after they pull in behind you at the gate and could care less that you're there or if they ruined your chances. They camp out at gates, which is illegal except at "camp ground areas". These areas have seen more pressure this year than they typically see in 3 years and one particular WMA had the 2 years seasonal average killed in 6 days. To me, it seems they have over hunted their areas at home until they had low turkey numbers, jumped a state or two down, will do it here and then move elsewhere leaving us with the rind of what it used to be. I'm all for you guys hunting here, if we had a draw system that limited number of tags for non residents, or even limit the number of hunters on each WMA, and that's for local and non resident hunters. As far as the guy that mentioned finding a job with more vacation time, what I have is plenty, I guess I'll just have to start using it to come kill your all's birds. Must be plenty available in Ohio and Michigan because they're all down here.

I'm from Michigan and we are allowed only 1 bird. I have'nt traveled out of state and if l did would only shoot 1 bird. There is no way I would travel to a extremely crowded state. I hate crowds! I'm sorry you have to put up with to many hunters. The same problems exist with southern hunters flooding northern states to get more duck hunting days. Social media has destroyed all types of hunting. Finding good hunting is becoming a rich man's sport!

Tail Feathers

Quote from: wareagle22 on April 27, 2023, 08:18:14 AM
As a yearly multi-state travel hunter, I believe Mississippi has the right approach when it comes to their public ground.   Close it to residents only except for the draw hunts for the first 2 weeks.    You give the TAX paying residents time to hunt the land that their taxes support before us non-residents get the opportunity.   Travel hunters will still buy the OOS licenses with the hope of a draw or they will show up after the first 2 weeks.   If an OOS'er wants to hunt the first 2 weeks, they can join a lease on private land.   As a traveling hunter, I believe residents should have the first chance at hunting the properties in their state before I do.   Just my $.02 worth.
I'm not knocking MS or their plan, but some of those lands are National Forests, land that all Americans own.  I kind of like NE's system, only sell so many turkey license to OOS'ers.  Not sure how that affects outfitters who book hunts a year in advance but I'm sure they could work that out.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Greg Massey

Y'all can say what you want BUT IN NO REASON should ScottTaulbee have to drive around for hours in his own state to trying and find a place to hunt on public ground because of the number of OOS travelers. As a resident of his state he should have priority over OOS travelers. They should only allow or allocate a certain number of OOS travelers tags per 3 day hunt ...

ScottTaulbee

Quote from: turkey stew on April 27, 2023, 09:27:54 AM
I guess it isn't real to you because you aren't on the receiving end of the equation. When you use 4 days of your 10 days of vacation you get a year, and work for an employer that regularly has you work 7 days s week. Sometimes 50 to 60 days straight several times a year. You're also married, with 3 kids with the oldest being 5 that are already missing their dad. You wake up at 2:30 am and are on the road from 3 am until 12 pm trying to find an area within 3 hours of your house that isn't overloaded with a newfound surge of OOS. You burn 300$ in gas in 4 days just to actually get to hunt twice of those 4 days. Once at 2:30 pm and once in the morning. Both times you have OOS hunters walk in past you and blow birds that you have roosted or are working out. Then it's back to work and being a family man and trying to sneak out an evening or two before season ends. I don't have a problem with OOS hunters, but when it makes mine and any other hunters hunting opportunities non existent within 200 miles that have any stitch of ethics or respect, it's a problem.

People make choices, those guys hunting don't get to enjoy the family things you do either!

Some prioritize family, some prioritize hunting, and it's everyone's personal choice!

This sounds like religion, (Oh you don't like my god??? Maybe we need to go to war with each other)

As far as license cost, I'd absolutely be happy with paying double for license costs if it meant actually getting the opportunity to hunt. And as far as the private ground debate, I'm not sure how it is in your area but around here our private ground hunting opportunity is non existent. People ruined that for others years ago, not considering most of it is leased up by outfitters or it's Amish owned now, which, in most cases the land is stripped barren. Like I stated in another thread, I don't hate OOS guys. Some of my best talks have been around a tailgate or WMA gate with OOS guys. And I don't look at it as we own the public land as residents. I welcome Respectful OOS guys that have the basic common courtesy to drive on by if they see a vehicle at a gate. Up until this year it's been that way. I met 3 this year that were great guys and that had been coming here for the last 4 or so years. The majority this year is like the duck hunting crowd, they leave trucks at gates and go elsewhere. They come crashing in on you after they pull in behind you at the gate and could care less that you're there or if they ruined your chances. They camp out at gates, which is illegal except at "camp ground areas". These areas have seen more pressure this year than they typically see in 3 years and one particular WMA had the 2 years seasonal average killed in 6 days. To me, it seems they have over hunted their areas at home until they had low turkey numbers, jumped a state or two down, will do it here and then move elsewhere leaving us with the rind of what it used to be. I'm all for you guys hunting here, if we had a draw system that limited number of tags for non residents, or even limit the number of hunters on each WMA, and that's for local and non resident hunters. As far as the guy that mentioned finding a job with more vacation time, what I have is plenty, I guess I'll just have to start using it to come kill your all's birds. Must be plenty available in Ohio and Michigan because they're all down here.

I'm from Michigan and we are allowed only 1 bird. I have'nt traveled out of state and if l did would only shoot 1 bird. There is no way I would travel to a extremely crowded state. I hate crowds! I'm sorry you have to put up with to many hunters. The same problems exist with southern hunters flooding northern states to get more duck huning days. Social media has destroyed all types of hunting. Finding good hunting is becoming a rich man's sport!
Some of them aren't bad. I had a group of 3, one from Ohio and Two from Michigan, in a truck pull in behind me as I was leaving a spot and all three were great guys. One was older and retired, the other was his son, and the guy from Ohio they picked up on the way. They were going to keep driving but had saw me walking to the truck and pulled in and waited. We had probably a 30 minute conversation about Michigan, Ohio, and the crazy amount of OOS'ers here this season. They all said that the local guys they've ran in to have all been nice, and had even shown them a spot or two with birds since they weren't going to get to hunt it after all. They all told me of other less respectful OOS guys blowing past them and completely ignoring them once they had made their presence known to them, that's how they ended up on the WMA I was on. That's what I'm used to with the handful of OOS hunters that we typically get. Last season we saw a huge upswing in the amount of OOS hunters but like stated above, they'd drive past if they saw a vehicle parked and would stop and talk to you on the road and ask where you were hunting, etc. But this year we have had quadruple the amount of OOS hunters and the vast majority will pull up right behind you and if they see you getting out or whatever it's like they kick it in another gear to try to beat you in there, or they'll ignore you and walk right past, most won't speak. And they aren't shy about trying to walk in on a bird you're working. But I guess most wasn't raised right. The vast majority this year I'd say are under 23 years old. Most of the 25 and older crowd have common sense and common courtesy.

turkey stew

Quote from: ScottTaulbee on April 27, 2023, 09:50:38 AM
Quote from: turkey stew on April 27, 2023, 09:27:54 AM

I'm from Michigan and we are allowed only 1 bird. I have'nt traveled out of state and if l did would only shoot 1 bird. There is no way I would travel to a extremely crowded state. I hate crowds! I'm sorry you have to put up with to many hunters. The same problems exist with southern hunters flooding northern states to get more duck huning days. Social media has destroyed all types of hunting. Finding good hunting is becoming a rich man's sport!
Some of them aren't bad. I had a group of 3, one from Ohio and Two from Michigan, in a truck pull in behind me as I was leaving a spot and all three were great guys. One was older and retired, the other was his son, and the guy from Ohio they picked up on the way. They were going to keep driving but had saw me walking to the truck and pulled in and waited. We had probably a 30 minute conversation about Michigan, Ohio, and the crazy amount of OOS'ers here this season. They all said that the local guys they've ran in to have all been nice, and had even shown them a spot or two with birds since they weren't going to get to hunt it after all. They all told me of other less respectful OOS guys blowing past them and completely ignoring them once they had made their presence known to them, that's how they ended up on the WMA I was on. That's what I'm used to with the handful of OOS hunters that we typically get. Last season we saw a huge upswing in the amount of OOS hunters but like stated above, they'd drive past if they saw a vehicle parked and would stop and talk to you on the road and ask where you were hunting, etc. But this year we have had quadruple the amount of OOS hunters and the vast majority will pull up right behind you and if they see you getting out or whatever it's like they kick it in another gear to try to beat you in there, or they'll ignore you and walk right past, most won't speak. And they aren't shy about trying to walk in on a bird you're working. But I guess most wasn't raised right. The vast majority this year I'd say are under 23 years old. Most of the 25 and older crowd have common sense and common courtesy.

You are entirely correct about how a person is raised! Some people is me,me,me! They are entirely about getting the kill. They do'nt even enjoy the outdoors and matching witts with a gobbler! They will run over anyone to get what they believe is theirs because they purchased a license!

deerhunt1988

- But I guess most wasn't raised right. The vast majority this year I'd say are under 23 years old. Most of the 25 and older crowd have common sense and common courtesy.

Interesting. I wonder how the early 20 year olds became influenced to start travel turkey hunting.

ScottTaulbee

Quote from: deerhunt1988 on April 27, 2023, 10:41:23 AM
- But I guess most wasn't raised right. The vast majority this year I'd say are under 23 years old. Most of the 25 and older crowd have common sense and common courtesy.

Interesting. I wonder how the early 20 year olds became influenced to start travel turkey hunting.
No doubt social media and YouTube. It's the cool thing to do now. I'll be 28 in august and didn't experience Facebook, instagram, or YouTube until my high school years. At that point I had an understanding that all that stuff is just for entertainment and isn't real life. But most of these kids have known this stuff since they were children and look to it as the gospel.

Cowboy

OK here's the deal. The SYSTEM is not geared towards the RESIDENTS. The only way to fix it would be to convince the Wildlife Commissors to change the SYSTEM of allocation of tags or permits.  Nonresident licenses are 10 X the cost of resident tags and permits so how do you think the POLITICS will work on that ? Believe my home state getting HAMMERED by NONRESIDENT deer hunters. We locals HATE it. But honestly we can't hate the ppl buying the tags, we should hate the system.  If someone walks in to a dealer and saying Hey, I'd like to buy a NONRESIDENT license and there are none to be had then they have to push on elsewhere.  But if they can buy one, then who's to blame for that ? I feel home staters SHOULD have better odds of getting tags and I'm  all for that but unfortunately it doesn't work that way. There are some states who require a lottery system for all their big game and I feel this is a better approach to the resident vs. nonresident issue.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

sasquatch1

Man, people wish for opportunities to be taken away from them. Some of these comments are unreal. Be careful what you wish for! Most of y'all won't like what you'll end up with.

sasquatch1

Scott, where do you live that you can't find hunting within 3 hours due to crowds??

My standard drive to hunt (as I live where turkeys don't exist) is 3 plus hours away. However I drive it for single day hunts when that's all I have! I drove 6 hours to hunt one morning this year.

Sometimes you either want it or you don't.

appalachianassassin

Quote from: sasquatch1 on April 27, 2023, 12:01:00 PM
Man, people wish for opportunities to be taken away from them. Some of these comments are unreal. Be careful what you wish for! Most of y'all won't like what you'll end up with.

Most folks just cant stand the thought of a non-resident hunter coming to their back yard a poking in a limit on THIER public land in a week or less. I just smile and keep killing THIER turkeys.

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: joey46 on April 26, 2023, 04:02:39 PM
Now that this forum has declared that the only thing worse than the decoy is an out of state hunter it may be time to get real.  There may be a few that do travel to multiple states and shoot every gobbler they can carry but they are so few and far between they are a non factor. 
Using myself as an example here is how my 40 plus years of turkey chasing has gone.  When I resided in Ohio if I tagged out I may travel for a few days to KY.  When I retired and moved to KY I would travel back and hunt Ohio.  Now that I live in Florida, where the season ends before many start, I am always looking for May opportunities.  This year I have two northern states in mind.  I won't mention either. 
Last May I took a well planned trip out west for ONE Merriam.  Maybe next year I'll look to the southwest for ONE Rio. 
I don't feel the least bit guilty about any of this.  Some of the post and proposed "solutions" to this OOS "problem" are truly delusional IMO. :deadhorse:

Congratulations.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

ScottTaulbee

Quote from: sasquatch1 on April 27, 2023, 12:02:51 PM
Scott, where do you live that you can't find hunting within 3 hours due to crowds??

My standard drive to hunt (as I live where turkeys don't exist) is 3 plus hours away. However I drive it for single day hunts when that's all I have! I drove 6 hours to hunt one morning this year.

Sometimes you either want it or you don't.

I'm in central KY, the public ground around me is in the northern, north eastern, or eastern part of the state for the most part. The closest place i have to go is an hour, the farthest place I've been is 2 hours and 40 something minutes almost in TN. Not quite 3 hours but close enough in my book. And every piece of public land that I've ventured to this year has had a massive increase of OOS hunters this season spanning from northern Ky to as far south East as you can get. And I'm not the only one noticing it. Opening day, I went out for an afternoon hunt, from 12:30 until around 2:30 I was driving trying to find a place that didn't have multiple vehicles at every gate, I found one gate that was empty and went in, had a bird coming in silently strutting, and here comes two guys walking through and go past me at 50 yards. Back to the truck and driving, spent until fly up doing the same thing I did since 12:30. Put over 400 miles on the truck and spanned 7 counties to find one public gate open. The next day I drove from 3am until 9 am to find a spot that I knew likely didn't hold birds, someone shot a turkey off the side of the blacktop road with me watching, back to driving. It's been the common theme this season. That's unfortunate that you have to travel that far, are you at least getting the opportunity to hunt when you get there?. Myself and other locals of these areas are not. Unless we just pull in behind them and give them the same courtesy that we've received.