OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Polishing Chrome Lined Benelli Barrels

Started by vaturkey, June 29, 2011, 12:38:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Gobbler

I'm not quite convinced polishing a Chrome bore has a advantage - I would like to see a before and after comparison before I give it a try

Ports .....pick up a all ready shot , shotgun wad/cup and you will notice some score marks from some makes of ported choke tubes its from the ports

Kicks  , Rhino , Puregold and many more use ports in varying angles to catch the wad , different chokes have varying effects on a wad as it passes - some have ports at oncoming  90 deg others have i t in the parallel section ,other forcing cone area

some use wad catchers like Indian Creek , wad catchers are rings in the forcing cone they catch the wad for a fraction of a second

some use straight rifling like william {sumtoy } Indian Creek , M.A.D and Primos/Jelly Head  have diagonal porting that has a straight rifling effect
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

runngun

Indeed ports slow the wad, that is why they are there!!!  If you look at an already shot shotshell wad you will SEE the proof.
Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Skeeterbait

To expand further on this, ports slow wads in two ways working together.  The sharp rim of the port physically grabs the plastic wad as it is compressed thru the choke.  As the back of the wad passes ports, gas is vented resulting in a compression release effect like a compression release on an engine assists the brakes.  This further assists the leading ports to grab and slow the wad as some of the driving force behind the wad is bled off simultaneously.  It doesn't have to slow it much to assist the shot collumn to move on out ahead of the wad and reduce chances of disruption of the shot string by the wad in flight.  Recoil reduction by ports in a choke is negligable because the radial ports vent gas in all directions.  This is different from ports in the top of a barrel which vent upward  only to counter muzzle rise.

runngun

I would bet that if blind folded you could not tell the difference in the "felt" recoil of a ported choke and non ported choke.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.