turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Polishing Chrome Lined Benelli Barrels

Started by vaturkey, June 29, 2011, 12:38:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vaturkey

Do you folks suggest polishing the chrome lined Benelli  barrels ?

I have heard that you should not. Thanks for any advice .

vaturkey   :newmascot:
Vaturkey

Hognutz

All I've heard is that it is not recommended or needed. I would deep clean it, and call it good enough. I do not polish my Benelli's. Mike
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

dirt road ninja

Gobble!

A good deep clean is all that should be done.

rtsj

What exactly is "a good deep cleaning"? What is involved and how is this done? Sorry if this is a dumb question.  Roy

goblr77

Quote from: rtsj on June 30, 2011, 10:55:02 AM
What exactly is "a good deep cleaning"? What is involved and how is this done? Sorry if this is a dumb question.  Roy

http://allaboutshooting.com/article_info.php?articles_id=282

Gobble!

Quote from: goblr77 on June 30, 2011, 11:25:47 AM
Quote from: rtsj on June 30, 2011, 10:55:02 AM

http://allaboutshooting.com/article_info.php?articles_id=282

thanks goblr77. There are many great links on that site  :icon_thumright:

drenalinld

They are smooth as silk for sure if only they were a little larger ID. Oh well, you can't have it all.

01Foreman400

I know this is an old thread. 

I do in moderation use JB bore paste then follow up with JB bore shine on my Benelli barrels.  I use a guide rod with a bore guide by hand.  About 10 or so strokes with the paste and 30 or so with the shine.  Gets them shinning like a mirror.  I've never had any problems.  I don't go overboard with it though.  I even use this method on my Rhino chokes as well.  My whole set-up is shinny.   :icon_thumright:
Huntin Fool From Georgia!

Skeeterbait

what you are doing is not enough to cause a problem and probably cleans effectively.  What is being described in this thread is placing a cleaning rod in a electric drill, soaking a skotch brite pad in JB and oil, wraping the pad around a cleaning brush and high speed polishing the barrel with this setup for 15 to 30 minutes, replacing pads often.  This should not be done to a chrome lined barrel.  In fact the chrome is there so that polishing a bore to this extend is not needed.  Now polishing a choke is not recommended.  You actually want a choke to grab the wad and slow it down to help the shot seperate from it cleanly.  If yours is working for you though no big deal.  Most of us put a flush Improved cylinder choke in the gun for this type of polishing.

01Foreman400

None of my guns will ever see a drill. Of course they are all chrome lined except my O/U.  I put my cylinder factory tube in while polishing.  The Rhino chokes come with a polished finish.
Huntin Fool From Georgia!

spaightlabs

Quote from: Skeeterbait on February 12, 2013, 05:17:51 PM
what you are doing is not enough to cause a problem and probably cleans effectively.  What is being described in this thread is placing a cleaning rod in a electric drill, soaking a skotch brite pad in JB and oil, wraping the pad around a cleaning brush and high speed polishing the barrel with this setup for 15 to 30 minutes, replacing pads often.  This should not be done to a chrome lined barrel.  In fact the chrome is there so that polishing a bore to this extend is not needed.  Now polishing a choke is not recommended.  You actually want a choke to grab the wad and slow it down to help the shot seperate from it cleanly.  If yours is working for you though no big deal.  Most of us put a flush Improved cylinder choke in the gun for this type of polishing.

A standard choke is not going to 'grab' the wad.  Not no way, not no how.

Skeeterbait

He was referring to a Rhino choke, a ported choke.  The sharp internal edge of ports in chokes help slow wads.  You do not want to blunt those edges by polishing.

Quote from: 01Foreman400 on February 12, 2013, 08:37:49 PM
I put my cylinder factory tube in while polishing

That clarifies it.

spaightlabs

Ports in chokes help to reduce muzzle jump  andrecoil by releasing some of the gasses.  Studs inside the choke may help slightly slow the wad,but ports, nope.

Skeeterbait