OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

On the lathe again......

Started by Tarheel, April 17, 2023, 09:09:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkey stew

Marvin, That is a sharp Koa horn! I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product.

EZ

Glad to see you're back at it Marvin, and turning out some cool looking pieces. Can't wait for the sound file!!!

fishr64

Quote from: Tarheel on April 25, 2023, 05:36:32 PM
fishr64,
When I first started making trumpet yelpers years ago, I tried to find wood with the most spectacular burl and figure to use for making trumpets I could find. Too many times the burl and figure ended up as wood chips on my workshop floor.  With highly figured Koa, normally the finished product looks better than the blank you started with. Rarely does Koa disappoint.

I've thought of that. It's a shame how of a beautiful piece of wood ends up in wood chips, but not much you can do.

Thanks for your responses. 

Tarheel

Quote from: turkey stew on April 25, 2023, 06:40:18 PM
Marvin, That is a sharp Koa horn! I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Phil, I think we're both going to be surprised and pleased with the finished product. The curl flows consistently from the ferrule to the bell....and the yelps are musical...but with Hawaiian Koa that's expected...LOL!!!

Tarheel

Too much going on.  Life sometimes gets in the way of plans I've made and things I want to do; and sometimes there are things I just don't like to do I have to do.  Ol' Bob and I had a conversation, and he gave me some good input and made a couple of recommendations....I was smart enough to listen.  Since I don't do CA finishing, I have to wait for finish to dry.  Now I've got to do a few sound files.....

tgilbert

turkey stew

Marvin, Those are fine trumpet blanks! Looks like you have been busy on the lathe!

Tarheel

I think I'm finally making some progress.  I may be slow, but I'll get there eventually....LOL!! I finally am beginning to feel like I'm getting something accomplished.  Now I need some air conditioning in the shop.........

Terry

What is the material of two dark green in the top pic?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tarheel

The two trumpets that look dark green in the top picture are really black delrin.  My cell phone camera distorted the color...but it is black.

callmakerman

Nice work Marvin. I like that short one in the second picture.

fishr64

Meleagris gallopavo

Very nice trumpets!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Ozark Ridge Runner

The different length of the mouthpieces is interesting.  Are those test pieces, or are those the permanent residents?

Tarheel

Quote from: Ozark Ridge Runner on June 19, 2023, 09:29:11 PM
The different length of the mouthpieces is interesting.  Are those test pieces, or are those the permanent residents?

The mouthpieces all started out the same length....LOL!!! Somehow in my drilling, cutting and trimming they end up different lengths. I don't do any of that CNC stuff....every thing is done individually.  So if you want custom crafted, this is it!!! As long as a mouthpiece is at least 2 3/4" there's plenty of length to work with.  Yes, these are the permanent mouthpieces fitted and fixed in these calls.