Main Menu

On the lathe again......

Started by Tarheel, April 17, 2023, 09:09:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hpo

Sharp-I'd love to hear a sound file.
Shoot'em in the Face!

greentrout

That is an amazing piece of Osage! If they back out, I would take it in a heartbeat!
Looking to buy Allen Dunfee scratch boxes.

3bailey3

Tarheel

Years ago, Dennis Poeschel tried to talk me into making an all delrin trumpet yelper.  Back then, I was using delrin to make test sections of trumpets, and I had several dimensional sizes of different sections of a trumpet I would put together to test various trumpet dimensions for sound quality.  For whatever reason, I never made an all delrin trumpet yelper as Dennis Poeschel had suggested....until yesterday.  Every turkey hunter who hunts trumpet yelpers always is looking for their holy grail of trumpet yelpers.  Yesterday I think I have found mine. I haven't quite finished it yet....I need to make a mouthpiece and a ferrule for it.  For the picture it has a test mouthpiece and a dimensional band as the ferrule placeholder. The finished mouthpiece will be more dimensionally balanced....the test mouthpiece is somewhat skinny.....LOL!!!  I'm now really going to have to do a sound file video....

GregGwaltney

Looks nice.....Delrin sure makes a great trumpet
gwaltneygamecalls.com

2024 S.E. Comp-1st Place & Best in Class Trumpet
2024 Grand Nat'l-1st Air Operated Trumpet
2024 Grand Nat'l-2nd Air Operated Trumpet
2023 Grand Nat'l-2nd Air Operated Trumpet
2023 S.E. Comp-3rd Place Trumpet
2022 Grand Nat'l-5th Air Operated Trumpet
2021 Grand Nat'l-2nd Air Operated Trumpet
2021 Grand Nat'l-5th Air Operated Trumpet
2019 Grand Nat'l-3rd Air Operated Trumpet

turkey stew

Delrin makes an awesome horn!

Meleagris gallopavo

The delrin trumpet is cool!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Tarheel

This one just came off the lathe from the first sanding with 400 grit...now 600, 800...then 1200 to go. Then the soak and final finishing.  This is a lighter colored piece of Hawaiian Koa, but the soak will probably darken it some.  The array of colors will still be there when finished. Now I have to make a ferrule, and there has to be a decision made on what mouthpiece material to use.  With the test mouthpiece she sings...and should sound even better with the permanent mouthpiece. 

fishr64

Beautiful piece of Koa wood!! Nice looking trumpet at this point.

I've been keeping an eye out for different calls using Koa wood to get for my one grandson as he gets older, as his name is Koa, but you don't see a lot of them. Most that I've seen don't seem to have the stripes that one does, but maybe it's in the finish. 

Tarheel

Quote from: fishr64 on April 24, 2023, 04:08:02 PM
Beautiful piece of Koa wood!! Nice looking trumpet at this point.

I've been keeping an eye out for different calls using Koa wood to get for my one grandson as he gets older, as his name is Koa, but you don't see a lot of them. Most that I've seen don't seem to have the stripes that one does, but maybe it's in the finish. 

No, it isn't the finish....it is the wood.  The Hawaiian Koa call pictured has medium figure.....and you certainly have to pay, and you definitely have to pay if you get the good stuff....LOL!!!  Normally, it is difficult to see the figure in Hawaiian Koa until you start doing the final sanding. As you sand, the color and figure emerges. When you have wood like is pictured here, whatever you make you know will be well-figured.

fishr64

Thank you for the reply. I guess it's like any other wood. It's a very nice looking wood to my eye. You have some nice looking blanks there.  :icon_thumright:

worth612000

That is one sweet looking call.

runngun

Please let us know when you are able to get a sound file up. I really want to hear it!!!

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Tarheel

fishr64,
When I first started making trumpet yelpers years ago, I tried to find wood with the most spectacular burl and figure to use for making trumpets I could find. Too many times the burl and figure ended up as wood chips on my workshop floor.  With highly figured Koa, normally the finished product looks better than the blank you started with. Rarely does Koa disappoint.

Tarheel

Quote from: runngun on April 25, 2023, 05:34:42 PM
Please let us know when you are able to get a sound file up. I really want to hear it!!!

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

runngun,
At present, I'm trying to make the permanent mouthpieces for the trumpet yelpers.  When I finish the mouthpieces, I will make sound file videos.  The sound file videos are coming.....LOL!!!