turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

On the lathe again......

Started by Tarheel, April 17, 2023, 09:09:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tarheel

Years ago I sharpened my lathe tools on a small belt sander....never needed anything else.  Twenty years later my hands and eyesight aren't as good, so I'm going to have to do something different.  But this is a start....and I still remember how to do it....LOL!!!

Spurtaker

Nice ones

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just wait. He's coming!

Crowstalker

Those look great and different at the same time. Very Nice...

Meleagris gallopavo

I like them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Brillo

There must be a great deal of satisfaction that comes from making something beautiful and functional like that.  Very nice.

outdoors

Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

turkey stew

superx2

Tarheel

Today I had a trumpet yelper I was turning explode on the lathe.  This experience was a first for me.  I had completed the rough turning, and I was in the process of detailing making the final fine cuts when it exploded.  I could only find these two pieces. I had to sit down for a while and get my thoughts together.  The only thing I can think of that could have caused the accident was a dull tool.  Obviously I'm going to have to pay more attention to sharpening my turning tools....LOL!! 

Thank you all for the kind comments.  I very much appreciate your support.

Greg Massey

Those are some really nice trumpets

Crowstalker

I sent you a pm having some insight on your calls

mmclain

If you turn it on a tenon it will slip before it explodes

Tom007

No doubt, you still got it!!!
"Solo hunter"

Tarheel

This osage burl trumpet I made today may be the best sounding trumpet yelper I've ever made. As soon as I can confirm with the customer what material he wants me to use to make the mouthpiece, I'll be able to finish it up.  I may have to make a trip to the turkey woods with it before it heads to South Carolina. I might have to find time to do a sound file video....LOL!!!

turkey stew

That is some sweet looking osage burl! I bet she plays easy.