turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Best 28 gauge for Turkey Hunting?

Started by StruttinGobbler3, April 07, 2023, 04:39:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zobo

For upland hunting the difference between 20 and 28 is pronounced. And that difference is the feel in the hands, the swing, the mount... not the square load mystique. Sleek is the word that comes to mind. For turkey hunting this advantage is lost... but it is usually lighter.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

BDeal

In looking at the specs, the Mossberg SA 28 and SA 20 (both in the tactical versions with the pistol grip) are identical in weight and length. 6 lbs and 22 inch barrels. So you basically have the same gun except the SA 28 won't shoot 3 inch shells so you would be losing 1/4 oz of shot in Apex TSS for example. It looks like the 28 gauge shells are cheaper but not by much. I cannot see any advantage with the 28 gauge other than maybe recoil reduction for a smaller stature shooter.

BennieGobbler

Def love my SA-28.  Def throws a great pattern with an Indian creek choke and my hand loaded TSS.  It's light and a dream to carry.  I have the stock one and thinking about upgrading to tactical.  If you can find a sub gauge Tristar pistol grip it bolts right on the older sa-28

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Print by Madison, on Flickr