turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Best "All Around" Choke

Started by Footballer, June 28, 2011, 08:30:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Footballer

I have a SBEII with 24" barrel and I'm in the market for a new choke. I bought a Kicks .660 a couple years back because I thought every gun needed a super full turkey choke. Turns out, I missed way more turkey with it than I evern did with the modified choke that came with my gun. I tend to have more 15-35 yard shots for some reason.

Currently, I'm looking at the Pure Gold .670 for my gun. Also, I'm thinking about switching from Winch. Supreme Hi Velocity #5s to Hevi-shot # 6s.

Any suggestions?

drenalinld

I shoot the PG 0.670" in my SBE II with 28" bbl. It put up better #'s in the 10" at 40 yards than the Jelly Head 0.660" or JH 0.668" or Rhino 0.660".
That does not necessarily mean fewer misses at shorter ranges, though. I got 150's with Win XRHD 6's, low 200's with hevi-6's, and 280-300 with hevi'7's.

honker22

The Benellis that I have shot, have given me fits on POA/POI.  x2 on the shooting a large target and sights, because you very well may need them. 
People who don't get it, don't get that they don't get it.

stinkpickle

Quote from: slickyboyboo on June 28, 2011, 09:38:10 AM

So...I would start by adding sights and shooting a big piece of paper with whatever turkey load you plan to hunt with, and your Kicks .660, because it is a plenty good choke, and see what your pattern is doing. From there I would decide what is needed, a new load, choke, etc.

Agreed.  And unless you think you need to start making 40+ yard shots, you don't need to spend the extra money on hevi shot.  You might think about trying lead #6's to see if it brings the shot count up, but that Kicks choke and HV #5's should smash 'em all day long between 15 and 35 yards if your POA/POI is on.

vaturkey

Footballer

I have the exact same gun you have. SBE with 24" barrell with Indian Creek .665 choke. Shooting hevishot 31/2"  21/4 oz # 6's. Here is what I get. Good luck.  

vaturkey   :newmascot:
Vaturkey

Britton40

Quote from: drenalinld on June 28, 2011, 08:55:15 AM
I shoot the PG 0.670" in my SBE II...low 200's with hevi-6's.

This

Footballer

Thanks for the input. What kind of sights would you guys recommend?

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Quote from: Footballer on June 28, 2011, 08:54:35 PM

Williams Firesights or a Burris Fast Fire II.

stinkpickle

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on June 28, 2011, 08:58:12 PM
Quote from: Footballer on June 28, 2011, 08:54:35 PM

Williams Firesights or a Burris Fast Fire II.

Agreed.  It all depends on your budget.  If your eyesight is still in decent shape, a set of Williams Firesights will work wonders and save you some money.

SumToy

Get you some junk 8's or 9's and shoot the gun at around 50 feet.  That way you find to POI.  I think you are fine with that choke and lead.   If you go to HV-13 or Win ER you going to have a bigger problem if you have a POI problem.  I have saw that gun bump the 280 to 290 rang with the HV-13 31/2 7's at 40 yards.  So you pull that into 25 yards it is like a rifle.    Just because to gun shot POI/POA last year not good.  Mine moved over duck season about 8 to 10 inches over to the right.  I have rifle sights on it now.  :anim_25:
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Footballer

Quote from: vaturkey on June 28, 2011, 10:28:31 AM

Footballer

I have the exact same gun you have. SBE with 24" barrell with Indian Creek .665 choke. Shooting hevishot 31/2"  21/4 oz # 6's. Here is what I get. Good luck.  

How are your patterns at 20-30 yards?

sugarray

Here is my experience of the past 2 years of learning here on OG.

#1.  Shoot at BIG paper.  I have been off POA/POI so many times it is not even funny.  Get this corrected first.

#1a. Sights - I started with standard fiber optics on my MB 835, didn't have enough adjustment so I went to TruGlo Magnum Gobble dots.  They just would not center up left to right.  Put on a Bushnell red dot tube sight.  It was awesome and I smoked 3 using it.  Wanted a better FOV so now I shoot a Mueller Quick Shot.  Great FOV, different reticles for your likes, and you don't have to align anything up.  Dot on neck= dead turkey, no matter where the dot is on the screen.   I won't get into the differences in FF II and Mueller.  There are other posts for that.

#2.  Decide on your load before you shoot.  No since wasting your time and money shooting shells that you don't really want to hunt with. 

#3.  Then shoot.  If you are not happy, chose a different choke.  Try again.

This and listening to the advice given, pondering it, making your decision and shoot.  Decide what you want your numbers to be before you shoot too.  If you are wanting 250-300 then don't shoot #5 or #6 shot, just won't happen.  Shoot with a friend if you can.  I have done all my shooting alone and it sucks trying to find the center, adjust the sight, etc. all by yourself.  Have fun.  Shooting is a lot of fun and now I find myself going to try a new choke and load just to see what it will do.

gobblergls

FB,
If you can afford an SBEII, you can afford a  red dot sight.  ;)  If  you don't plan on getting old with attendant vision issues, be content with Williams Fire Sights--but once your vision starts to decline and presbyopia creeps into your eyeballs, you'll wish you had a red dot sight.  Model?  Someone pass the  can opener, please....

vaturkey

Quote from: Footballer on July 05, 2011, 11:07:33 AM
Quote from: vaturkey on June 28, 2011, 10:28:31 AM

Footballer

How are your patterns at 20-30 yards?

TIGHT  !!  I have a 2x7 Leupold scope  !!   :newmascot:
Vaturkey