turkeys for tomorrow

Permethrin spray for clothes-field report

Started by g8rvet, April 05, 2023, 09:20:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sasquatch1

Quote from: Sir-diealot on April 22, 2023, 05:59:29 PM
Quote from: sasquatch1 on April 22, 2023, 02:56:51 AM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on April 22, 2023, 12:01:33 AM
Trying to remember if you mix it with purified water or distilled water, anyone happen to know? Thanks.
Whatever comes out the sink works

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Okay thank you, I honestly thought you were supposed to use distilled or purified water for whatever reason though I can't remember why I just remember having to go out and buy a gallon of whichever at one point in time to mix it.

Sent from my moto g pure using Tapatalk
No problem. Also, I use to do the dip and it does work great. But, due to the excess waste, I now make a mixture in a bug sprayer, hang the clothes on a line (usually just 2-3 sets for turkey season) and spray them down real good and let them dry. Saves a lot of chemical. What would take me 5 gal to soak just about takes about 1-2 now

Sir-diealot

Quote from: sasquatch1 on April 22, 2023, 07:09:31 PM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on April 22, 2023, 05:59:29 PM
Quote from: sasquatch1 on April 22, 2023, 02:56:51 AM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on April 22, 2023, 12:01:33 AM
Trying to remember if you mix it with purified water or distilled water, anyone happen to know? Thanks.
Whatever comes out the sink works

Okay thank you, I honestly thought you were supposed to use distilled or purified water for whatever reason though I can't remember why I just remember having to go out and buy a gallon of whichever at one point in time to mix it.

No problem. Also, I use to do the dip and it does work great. But, due to the excess waste, I not make a mixture in a big sprayer, hang the clothes on a line (usually just 2-3 sets for turkey season) and spray them down real good and let them dry. Saves a lot of chemical. What would take me 5 gal to soak just about takes about 1-2 now

Spraying is how I do it as well, I had to spray in the bathroom last night, finally got permission to go set up the blinds and I have to pretty roll around the blinds to set up as I can't kneel and I didn't want to get any ticks on me. I will be doing 3-5 pants, shirts, socks and underclothes through the week as the body and the dog allow. My spay bottle broke and I went to grab the backup bottle and the ex had filled it with ammonia so I had to stop at Tractor Supply after setting up the blinds and get two more, I will wind up bringing one bottle there with me and spraying the interior of the blinds before the season starts.

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Twowithone

Sir diealot I mix my own and the folks said to use distilled water. 18OZ of distilled to 1 oz. of Permithion 10.
09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

Twowithone

krm 944 I make my own juice. When you say night and day difference could you define it a bit more. Did Sawyers work better or your homemade juice work better. Thx.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Twowithone on April 23, 2023, 07:43:04 AM
Sir diealot I mix my own and the folks said to use distilled water. 18OZ of distilled to 1 oz. of Permithion 10.
Thank you very much.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

GobbleGitr

Quote from: Sir-diealot on April 22, 2023, 05:58:21 PM
Quote from: GobbleGitr on April 22, 2023, 08:38:21 AM
I am a believer in getting the concentrate and doing the dip...last 6 weeks and 3 washings. After several years of dipping and zero ticks found on me, I am a strong advocate of permethrin dipping. I keep a spray bottle of it with me as well to spray around my ankles after putting boots on, and for hats, etc. Keep those disease carrying bloodsuckers at bay!
Not trying to be insulting in any way shape or form, but to me something would seem like a waste cuz it would be so much left over and a big bucket or whatever you soaked it and that would be wasted. I don't know maybe it's me cuz I'm messed up and gimpy but it wouldn't seem like it would be easy to funnel back into the container. I can't put things the way I used to though.

Waste? There is no waste, you mix as much as you need...the clothes absorb it...a more thorough job than spray can do, and the little left in bucket is what I put in a spray bottle for boots/gloves. Cost effective as well, and funnels are cheap

krm944

Quote from: Twowithone on April 23, 2023, 07:47:20 AM
krm 944 I make my own juice. When you say night and day difference could you define it a bit more. Did Sawyers work better or your homemade juice work better. Thx.
The homemade mixture was better.

I think the homemade mixture goes further and is more potent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sir-diealot

Quote from: GobbleGitr on April 23, 2023, 10:39:45 AM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on April 22, 2023, 05:58:21 PM
Quote from: GobbleGitr on April 22, 2023, 08:38:21 AM
I am a believer in getting the concentrate and doing the dip...last 6 weeks and 3 washings. After several years of dipping and zero ticks found on me, I am a strong advocate of permethrin dipping. I keep a spray bottle of it with me as well to spray around my ankles after putting boots on, and for hats, etc. Keep those disease carrying bloodsuckers at bay!
Not trying to be insulting in any way shape or form, but to me something would seem like a waste cuz it would be so much left over and a big bucket or whatever you soaked it and that would be wasted. I don't know maybe it's me cuz I'm messed up and gimpy but it wouldn't seem like it would be easy to funnel back into the container. I can't put things the way I used to though.

Waste? There is no waste, you mix as much as you need...the clothes absorb it...a more thorough job than spray can do, and the little left in bucket is what I put in a spray bottle for boots/gloves. Cost effective as well, and funnels are cheap
Do you hang clothes over the bucket they were in to catch the drippings? I can't agree with a better job, I douse mine  so the fabric is wet, not damp, inside and out. Again not Insulting, just seems more would be lost. By the way, the one place I could agree with you on is seam penetration.

John Koenig:

krm944

I have 2 methods-

Put item in a gallon zip lock bag. Pour in a heavy splash of the permethrin mix and squeeze.

The other is a squirt bottle from dollar store. I lay an item on the back deck and mist away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Twowithone

Exactly what I do put the clothes on the line and spray away my camo gets a good spraying.

Sir-diealot

I put them slightly staggered to the sides of each other one in front of the other so any mist that misses one will hit the other because there is a very strong chance I am a cheap son of a gun and don't want to waste any.

John Koenig:

tad1

My strategy for many years now: Tractor supply 10%, mix with 19 to 1 tap or bottled water for half percent spray, lay clothes on back patio close together and spray away, flipping once and getting them well damp all over.  I have only been spraying my outer garments. I do try to keep my pants tied over my boot cuffs and shirt tucked in.  Generally wear a non treated undershirt and commonly some light long underwear if it's cool out.  I don't treat these under layers out of some concern of having increased permethrin contact on my skin, especially when sweating a good bit.  Whether that is valid concern or not I can't say for sure.  I don't often wash my outer camo garments unless they become heavily soiled during the season.  Although permethrin effectiveness will persist over several washings it does diminish the effectiveness.  For those close in mosquitoes, I keep a small bottle of 40% deet in my vest and will mist my ball cap and use my gloves to dab that on to my face/ neck/ facemask area as needed.  Or a  thermocell does work good too if the skeeters are savage.  This has been very effective for me. Still using the same bottle I bought quite a few years ago.
  JT

captpete

Pretty much if it is made of cloth and goes into the woods with me it gets sprayed....vest, boots, turkey chair, decoy bag, gun sling...everything but my underwear and socks. My pant legs are tied around my ankles over my boots. If I wear rubber boots, the top 3"-4" of the inside of the rubber boots get sprayed and my pants are tucked inside. Everything is sprayed until it is damp and I pay particular attention to the cuffs...ankles, wrists, waste and neck. I get 2-3 years worth of spraying from a quart of concentrate for mine and the wife's clothes/equipment. I don't waste it, but I also don't skimp on it. $30-$40 every 2-3 years is very inexpensive compared to the alternative of medical bills for treating the diseases these nasty things spread.