turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Dead Coyote?

Started by woody, June 27, 2011, 09:13:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woody

I know it's not turkey guns but same set up sort of.  Anyone shoot dead coyote?  What choke set up?  I have a PG .696 buckshot choke for a Remniington I was thinking of trying or maybe a .685 trulock I may try in an Ithaca or BPS.

I have always shot #4 buck for fox/coyotes but thinking of changing to dead coyote 3" version.

bbcoach

I don't know what yardages you are looking at shooting yotes, Woody, but during turkey season this year a good friend of mine rolled two yotes at 50 yards with his turkey setup.  He shot one in the head and it never even twitched and second one, tried to cross the road he was setup on, about 5 minutes later, and he rolled it in the ditch STONE DEAD.  After examining the second Dog, he noticed he hit it in the front shoulder and lungs.   He was shooting a Remington 870 with 3" HEVIs, 2 oz number 6's and a IC .665 choke.  Not bad for a Turkey Setup.   

SumToy

You can choke them loads small.   They work in some 665 chokes.
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

mossy835

I shoot dead coyote in my Mossy 835 using my turkey choke from Carlson's in .690. Patterns great at 40 yards and allows me to carry both my HM mag blend turkey loads and the dead coyote loads for yotes and bear if needed. Yes I did check with Carlson's first though. Hope this helps as you did not say what your shotgun was.

woody

Either one of my 870's or Ithaca turkeyslayer.   Maybe one of my Benelli's.  Just trying to get an idea where to start and see what chokes I have that will work. 

mossy835

Quote from: woody on June 28, 2011, 09:56:29 AM
Either one of my 870's or Ithaca turkeyslayer.   Maybe one of my Benelli's.  Just trying to get an idea where to start and see what chokes I have that will work. 

I would contact the manufacture of each choke and ask if the choke in question is safe to shoot dead coyote loads through it. Sumtoy would be a good place to start and I would look at the heavy shot choke made for dead coyote loads (made by Carlson's). Many here will not shoot dead coyote through their turkey chokes and I agree with them on that, I wanted a combo choke for the H13 #6 and the mag blends (all 3 inch) so the only change in the field was the shell. Good luck and have fun!

beagler

Been shooting 3 1/2" Dead Coyote shells for several years now. I get the best patterns with a Carlson's Dead Coyote Choke. Tried a couple turkey chokes but I think with the larger shot you need a slightly less constricted choke. That was my experience with my patterning anyway.
I love calling fox/yotes at night. We run them with hounds as well.
For fox I prefer shooting some of the heavier than lead shells in BB.

[/img]

Never Misses

mossy835

You have some great pictures posted and obviously the Dead Coyote rounds work well for you. But it sure looks cold to me!!

surehuntsalot

excellent pic's
I would say the choke is working for you
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

mightyjoeyoung

I go the same route as beagler in my SBE II but in 3"...just because.  The Dead Coyote choke works great with it and with 3" #4 pb buck loads and the Federal BB coyote loads which I use mainly for foxes and the ocassional yote.  That Federal stuf is NASTY on a big red or grey inside 60 yards man! :fud:  1.5 ounces of BB heaviweights at 1300 fps...D.R.T.
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

SumToy

Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on July 03, 2011, 11:31:38 AM
I go the same route as beagler in my SBE II but in 3"...just because.  The Dead Coyote choke works great with it and with 3" #4 pb buck loads and the Federal BB coyote loads which I use mainly for foxes and the ocassional yote.  That Federal stuf is NASTY on a big red or grey inside 60 yards man! :fud:  1.5 ounces of BB heaviweights at 1300 fps...D.R.T.

That said the Federal Buck Shot and the Dead Coyote loads have a wad in them.   The Dead Coyote shoots good out of 665 and bigger chokes.  I have saw that they have reported kills at a 100 yards.   We have tested them at 75 yards and they pattern good.  Shot a aluminum sheet like used on eve of a house.  It a 1/16 inch thick or so and it rip through it like a rifle would so I would say a 100 is possible.
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

beagler

Once again just my opinion but I've patterned alot of shells/chokes for killing yotes. We kill our share every year and every member of our group uses shotguns. These 100yd claims are crazy. I'll go out and say 75yds with a shotgun is crazy as well, although that one magical pellet is still possible. Like I said I kill a couple so I know alittle bit about range. Our coyote here in the northeast run big. Largest our group killed so far was 54lbs. It takes alot to put them down. Typically our effective range is out to 50yds with an occasional one out around 60yds but that's pushing it. Everyone shoots either the Dead Coyote shells or #4 buck.
Here's a 48lb'der I had mounted for my dad as a surprise birthday present. He just shot it this past winter. Was a beautiful red color-phase. Little girl is my 5yr old.

Never Misses

pdqt

I don't know if you guys reload or not, but you  should check out some of the comments from the deer hunters. That tss in #4 thru 5mm is worth looking at. At 1200 fps the #4 will penetrate bal. gel 3.7" at 85 yds. the 4mm, right at 5".