OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

TSS Shell load theory Question

Started by Gobblechicken4, March 29, 2023, 05:00:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gobblechicken4

Im trying to save a little money- so I thought I would ask before buying, in case any gains are not likely to matter much-

My Current set up is-
Mossberg 835
Indian Creek .675 choke
Federal TSS 3.5" #9 2 1/4oz shot- 1200 fps on the box
I have 3.5 boxes of this Ammo

I would like to open up my pattern just a little at 20 yds, but not much because I am very happy w. my 40yd pattern
I am considering trying Apex in the following configuration
3.5" #9 2 1/2 oz- 1175 fps
3" #9 2 1/4 oz- 1190 FPS
3" #9 2 oz 1200 FPS

I understand every load and combo are different, but at 60+ dollars a box- I'm wondering if in theory- Are any of those options- based on the load and length configurations likely to pattern much differently than my current set up

Here is a pic of current set up at 20 then at 40

BandedSpur

I doubt that any of those options are going to significantly open up your 20 yard patterns, as Federals are not known for throwing the tightest patterns around. I would opt for the 3" 2 oz load for recoil reduction, and that is still overkill IMO. I load 1&5/8 oz for my lightweight 12 gauge. It has all the pattern density and recoil that I want.

Gobblechicken4

Thanks. I appreciate the help. You're right on the recoil- it's never bothered me before- but for some reason- maybe that this is my 40 year old season- the recoil was not fun on this patterning session more than ever before. I may see a new gun in my future.......

paboxcall

Quote from: BandedSpur on March 30, 2023, 07:17:59 AM
I load 1&5/8 oz for my lightweight 12 gauge. It has all the pattern density and recoil that I want.

:agreed:

From here out, its Foxtrot's 12 gauge 2.75" with 1 5/8oz straight 8s in my single shot.

For comparison, my 20 gauge with 1.5 oz of straight 8s is putting 235 in a 10" circle, the exact equivalent of the 2 oz. of Hevi #7 with a .660.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer