turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Trumpet Playing The Journey

Started by Greg Massey, March 28, 2023, 11:49:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom007

I too have entered the trumpet/wingbone arena the past few years. I do practice, but not as much as I should. Can get pretty good sound out of them, but they haven't graduated to my primary "go-to" call. I plan on carrying one with me all season, and field practice on long sits. No doubt, in the right hands, they sound deadly.  Be well....
"Solo hunter"

Turkeybutt

You guys are killing me!
Since I been here at Old Gobbler I have changed and not for the better. I'll be living on the street soon but I'll have a nice collection of turkey calls!
I always hunted with a mouth call, ( some where Ben Lee's lead frame calls) an old slate I made out of a Maxwell house coffee lid or a box call as that's what we had 50 years ago.
I now have several quality box calls and an abundance of pot calls and a push pin or two. A friend, Mississippi Double Beard sent me a wing-bone he made that I have been playing with for several months which might find its way into the woods this year.
I recently acquired a Mike Lapp Trumpet so my journey begins.
I never thought much of them and more or less looked at them as some new gimmick to make money but after reading a lot and talking with people about them I'm in.
If you come to the big city I'll be the homeless guy wearing the long trench coat with all my turkey calls hanging under my coat. I'll trade you my one of a kind, original, signed Maxwell house coffee lid pot call for a ham and cheese sandwich!

Tom007

JOURNEY UPDATE: I have been practicing on my Trumpets, but yesterday I turned the corner. So far, I wasn't real happy with my results until yesterday afternoon. I grabbed my EZ Wingbone and stated practicing. Lessened the air pressure, cupped my hands a little differently, and wala....a real Turkey sound bellowed out. Started clucking, cutting, and yelping. For some weird reason, it came together. So I grabbed my "Greg"Snakewood trumpet, same thing...real Turkey sounds. Now, I am by no means as good as the sound files I've heard from you veteran Trumpeteers, but I now feel one will be with me for good. I have a ways to go, but now I won't hesitate to use it afield.....be safe, good luck...
"Solo hunter"

Meleagris gallopavo

Quote from: Tom007 on April 04, 2023, 06:59:36 AM
JOURNEY UPDATE: I have been practicing on my Trumpets, but yesterday I turned the corner. So far, I wasn't real happy with my results until yesterday afternoon. I grabbed my EZ Wingbone and stated practicing. Lessened the air pressure, cupped my hands a little differently, and wala....a real Turkey sound bellowed out. Started clucking, cutting, and yelping. For some weird reason, it came together. So I grabbed my "Greg"Snakewood trumpet, same thing...real Turkey sounds. Now, I am by no means as good as the sound files I've heard from you veteran Trumpeteers, but I now feel one will be with me for good. I have a ways to go, but now I won't hesitate to use it afield.....be safe, good luck...
Fantastic!  For me the better I get the more I want to practice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Greg Massey

The lip pressure post and the trumpet journey post are here to help all of us who want to learn and enjoy playing / hunting these air calls...  Some great posts from everyone ...

Tom007

Quote from: Greg Massey on April 04, 2023, 10:13:44 AM
The lip pressure post and the trumpet journey post are here to help all of us who want to learn and enjoy playing / hunting these air calls...  Some great posts from everyone ...

Great post Greg, lots of great info here.....
"Solo hunter"

fishr64

I've had the same thing happen to me Tom. I just received my EZ wingbone around 3 weeks ago and I can play it more consistently than my trumpet or EZ Jordan. I still have my off days but they're not as frequent. I know the off days are me over thinking it or just a straight up mental block, but I have to agree with what EZ had posted on another thread, learning to use less air on a good wingbone will help with any suction call. At least it's helped me.

I started last year in February or March with a trumpet and have been practicing and trying to pick up pointers from all of the posts on here. I took the trumpet along for walks last year and got responses to my calling during our youth hunt and was hooked. It's fun and frustrating at the same time, but I enjoy practicing just about every day and judge my sound level by whether I annoy my wife or not. If she asks what I was doing back in the room with my calls, I know I was on my game.

I will say, I'm jealous of those that can pick up one of these calls and just make it work(especially if they've never ran one before), similar to running a mouth call or any call for that matter. I think it's how some of us are wired. Myself, I get my brain disconnected from what I'm trying to do at times and I've come to realize that I just need to step away and try again later.

Some great threads and input.  :icon_thumright:

Tom007

Quote from: fishr64 on April 05, 2023, 09:35:27 AM

I've had the same thing happen to me Tom. I just received my EZ wingbone around 3 weeks ago and I can play it more consistently than my trumpet or EZ Jordan. I still have my off days but they're not as frequent. I know the off days are me over thinking it or just a straight up mental block, but I have to agree with what EZ had posted on another thread, learning to use less air on a good wingbone will help with any suction call. At least it's helped me.

I started last year in February or March with a trumpet and have been practicing and trying to pick up pointers from all of the posts on here. I took the trumpet along for walks last year and got responses to my calling during our youth hunt and was hooked. It's fun and frustrating at the same time, but I enjoy practicing just about every day and judge my sound level by whether I annoy my wife or not. If she asks what I was doing back in the room with my calls, I know I was on my game.

I will say, I'm jealous of those that can pick up one of these calls and just make it work(especially if they've never ran one before), similar to running a mouth call or any call for that matter. I think it's how some of us are wired. Myself, I get my brain disconnected from what I'm trying to do at times and I've come to realize that I just need to step away and try again later.

Some great threads and input.  :icon_thumright:

Great news, now we have to keep practicing.......
"Solo hunter"

Tom007

Quote from: Meleagris gallopavo on April 04, 2023, 09:52:34 AM
Fantastic!  For me the better I get the more I want to practice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Amen my brother.....
"Solo hunter"