News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Trumpet Playing The Journey

Started by Greg Massey, March 28, 2023, 11:49:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spring Creek Calls

Quote from: Spring Creek Calls on March 29, 2023, 09:26:32 AM
My path has been fairly short so far as I recently started playing the trumpet game. Bought a used 2017 Lewis Inzer osage trumpet a couple years ago and practiced on and off with it for a year. Decided last year to give it a try in the woods. After a couple days of chasing public land out of state gobblers around some high ridges and multiple close encounters, I pulled out the trumpet and was able to draw out a near perfect 4 or 5 note yelp when I knew they were within hearing. 3 mature toms crested the small rise between us within a couple minutes and one stayed with me. I now have 2 trumpets (Greg Gwaltney) and a Black Falcon on it's way. Got a feeling there will be more.
Pic

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

EZ

Quote from: fordhunt on March 28, 2023, 09:49:37 PM
Greg, hard to believe you're just now getting in to air operated calls ,let the fun begin this spring. I've been a air type caller for 35+yrs one thing I can tell you definitely don't have to be the best caller to make that bird respond,its just something different to the bird .some people don't use a lip stop ,I myself play a call way better with one .hope you have a great season this year hunting a Air call ..

I've been building wingbones for 35+ years as well Kenneth. I must admit, I didn't know how effective they were on birds back then.....it took me a while. Now, they (all suction type calls) are my go to calls.

What's interesting about these air calls is the variety. Everyone makes something just a little different (or maybe a lot different) than the next guy, yet they all seem to work, at least the good ones rise to the top. What amazes me the most about these type of calls and their playing, is that you never stop learning and it's always enjoyable to run these calls.

I love all well made, good sounding turkey calls, but for me, these wingbones, cane yelpers and trumpets are on another level of enjoyment and effectiveness.
Turkeys beware to a man good on a yelper!!!

Greg Massey

Quote from: fordhunt on March 28, 2023, 09:49:37 PM
Greg, hard to believe you're just now getting in to air operated calls ,let the fun begin this spring. I've been a air type caller for 35+yrs one thing I can tell you definitely don't have to be the best caller to make that bird respond,its just something different to the bird .some people don't use a lip stop ,I myself play a call way better with one .hope you have a great season this year hunting a Air call ..
I agree, the journey has taken me a while in realizing the importance of these air calls in my hunting arsenal. The different variety of these air calls is just fascinating in how they sound and perform and overall build.. I met an amazing group of air call builders in this process and had some awesome conversations while enjoying and learning to play these calls... I guess it's just a Passion, with rounding out my collection of calls in hunting these gobblers... I give credit to some members on this forum, that have reached out and discussed playing these calls, that i may have not ever gotten to know, they have the same passion about playing these calls...

btomlin

My journey started a couple of months ago.  I made my 1st set of wingbones and purchased a DES trumpet from a member on the site.

I've watched videos and try to practice 10min a day.  It seems some days I can really make some solid yelps and clucks...the next day, I struggle making a sound.  LOL.  I'll get there.......

Notsoyoungturk

I also started not to long ago and have been slowly acquiring some beautiful instruments.  I have really gotten in to the trumpets.  Unfortunately, I am certainly not ready to challenge a big tom with my sound.  I have some great trumpets from makers like Brian Mero, Steve Lumma, Seth Hamon, Kevin Dorsey, Kevin Rouse, Ralph Permar, Clay Townsend etc.  Each with a unique sound and different to play.  I have to really work to keep my calls lower and raspy.  Best I can tell from the videos online, I think I try to pull to much air and I am what Lewis Stowe refers to as a "jaw dropper" when I call.  When he drops his jaw, his pitch seems to get higher.  One thing I do know, it is not the instrument, it is the musician.  I don't have anyone around me that is a proficient trumpet player to get a few tips.  In any case, I am enjoying the journey and the new challenge.  With time, Ill be ready to take the trumpet to the woods.
A hunt based on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be - Fred Bear

SDK

Great thread gentlemen.

I'm feeling like trumpets will be my next fixation after this spring season ends, and I have time to work on it. I have a kee kee air call that I like but want something with more range.....

Would love anyone's thoughts on good beginner choices. Both recommendations and/or tips on where to buy...

ScottTaulbee

Quote from: SDK on March 29, 2023, 03:25:04 PM
Great thread gentlemen.

I'm feeling like trumpets will be my next fixation after this spring season ends, and I have time to work on it. I have a kee kee air call that I like but want something with more range.....

Would love anyone's thoughts on good beginner choices. Both recommendations and/or tips on where to buy...
It's a matter of preference but my calls from Daryal Gosey (NCBowJunkie) and Kenneth Mullins (FordHunt) are both really nice and don't take much air to run. Both guys are class acts!.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zobo

Quote from: Notsoyoungturk on March 29, 2023, 01:42:44 PM
I also started not to long ago and have been slowly acquiring some beautiful instruments.  I have really gotten in to the trumpets.  Unfortunately, I am certainly not ready to challenge a big tom with my sound.  I have some great trumpets from makers like Brian Mero, Steve Lumma, Seth Hamon, Kevin Dorsey, Kevin Rouse, Ralph Permar, Clay Townsend etc.  Each with a unique sound and different to play.  I have to really work to keep my calls lower and raspy.  Best I can tell from the videos online, I think I try to pull to much air and I am what Lewis Stowe refers to as a "jaw dropper" when I call.  When he drops his jaw, his pitch seems to get higher.  One thing I do know, it is not the instrument, it is the musician.  I don't have anyone around me that is a proficient trumpet player to get a few tips.  In any case, I am enjoying the journey and the new challenge.  With time, Ill be ready to take the trumpet to the woods.

I guarantee you're ready to hunt one. Don't make it bigger than it is, start with some simple one note clucks. That will build your confidence. Those are some great yelpers you got!
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

SDK

Quote from: ScottTaulbee on March 29, 2023, 03:34:14 PM
Great thread gentlemen.

It's a matter of preference but my calls from Daryal Gosey (NCBowJunkie) and Kenneth Mullins (FordHunt) are both really nice and don't take much air to run. Both guys are class acts!.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you Scott! Will check them both out....

cannonball

Great thread gentlemen.

I would talk to Brian Mero, his are very easy to run and they sound great as well.

greentrout

I got started after last season. I got on Permar's list and then reached out to Greg Gwaltney as well. I now have a beautiful Osage call from Greg and a nice delrin and improved Jordan from Mr. Permar. I have been practicing off and on and can get some decent yelps. Enough that I will take one in the woods with me this spring and try them out. They are definitely challenging, but man they're fun to figure out. I know I have some mechanical issues to become more consistent and comfortable.

I would highly recommend Greg. He's great to work with and turns a gorgeous trumpet. He answered plenty of questions and gave some advice when I first got my call in. His call will be the first one in the woods with me.

I'm interested in cane yelpers now. And I hope when Tony starts taking orders again I can add a wingbone!
Looking to buy Allen Dunfee scratch boxes.

SDK

Quote from: cannonball on March 29, 2023, 07:19:16 PM
Great thread gentlemen.

I would talk to Brian Mero, his are very easy to run and they sound great as well.

Thank you. I looked him up and his work is beautiful!

EZ

Quote from: SDK on March 30, 2023, 07:01:32 AM
Great thread gentlemen.

Brian was also just inducted into the "Call Makers Hall of Fame" at Nashville, so his reputation is well earned.

SDK

Quote from: EZ on March 30, 2023, 07:30:21 AM
Quote from: SDK on March 30, 2023, 07:01:32 AM
Great thread gentlemen.

Brian was also just inducted into the "Call Makers Hall of Fame" at Nashville, so his reputation is well earned.

I saw that when I looked him up. One heck of an accomplishment in a crowded field...

hpo

Started my journey in 1997 when I purchased a Trumpet from Ted "Pete" Peters. A challenging time for certain-heck I didn't even know how to make turkey sounds and it was my initial season hunting the birds. Sparingly used but never with any conviction for a few years. I then started working a coffee straw to make clucks and yelps and transitioned back to the Trump until I became, at least in my mind, proficient. Collected several Trumpet and Wingbone calls over the years and they are a mainstay in my calling. Unique, badass, and effective.
Shoot'em in the Face!