OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Turkey Tube Maintenance

Started by HOGGHEAD, February 14, 2011, 07:31:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HOGGHEAD

I just picked up a used MAD turkey tube for my Winchester 1300 turkey gun.  Do you guys use anti-seize when you insert the choke tube??  I only tighten tubes finger tight.  Do you need to do anything different with the ported MAD tubes??  Tom.

HOGGHEAD

Second question.  What do you guys use to clean the plastic from the inside of your tube??  Presumably from the wad??  Tom.

paladin

I always use grease.
Acetone will dissolve the plastic.
Clean the threads inside and out every time.
Put an Improved Cylinder or Cylinder choke in the gun when cleaning to protect the threads.
"have gun-will travel"

ILIKEHEVI-13

I don't guess it will hurt anything to use anti-seize.  I don't think it is necessary.  I just hand tighten my chokes snug and that is good enough.  I have a Mad Super Max and that's how I do it.  It works fine.  I finger snug tighten it then grab it with my hand and snug it with a little pressure. 

ILIKEHEVI-13

I clean my outer chokes and threads with Rem oil and a shaving brush.  The inside I scrub every now and then with some Kroil and a brush a few strokes occasionally to get the plastic fouling from the wad that builds up on the ports.    

pullit

They make a choke tube grease and that is what I use.
I use some stuff called Wad Out. It is a jar of stuff that you drop the choke into and let it soak. A simple stoke or two with a brass brush will clean the stuff out most of the time.

shootumindaface

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on February 14, 2011, 07:41:50 AM
I don't guess it will hurt anything to use anti-seize.  I don't think it is necessary.  I just hand tighten my chokes snug and that is good enough.  I have a Mad Super Max and that's how I do it.  It works fine.  I finger snug tighten it then grab it with my hand and snug it with a little pressure. 
Man you can say that, but there will come a time you say.. Dang I wish I would have used anti seize.. 

shootumindaface

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: shootumindaface on February 14, 2011, 10:09:47 AM
Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on February 14, 2011, 07:41:50 AM
Man you can say that, but there will come a time you say.. Dang I wish I would have used anti seize.. 

Well so far I have been lucky but I did get one choke that was very tight that I left in for awhile.  I think it was the Indian Creek choke.  But that chokes tightens down more tighter than most chokes I have tried.  I guess I may want to get some anti seize.   :z-paddy-smiley113:

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: shootumindaface on February 14, 2011, 10:10:28 AM
Did you get the new Mad Choke?

Yeppers!  I just had to buy another one of those even though I don't need it.  I should get it today or tomorrow.  I just hope it shoots about like the one I have.  I'll be in heaven then.   :z-paddy-smiley113:

Reloader

PB Blaster from wally world will knock the plastic out.

A good brush on a cordless drill will speed things up.  Soak the tube down and make a couple passes.

12 GAUGE

yes you need to use anti seize on your choke
ROLL TIDE

shootumindaface

It also doesnt hurt to rack off a few quick rounds of cheap stuff.. IME guns that are warm barreled clean up better

HOGGHEAD

I bought it used from a fellow on another forum.  Supposedly it was shot very little.  I believe him.  I bought the Model #:  MD1001.  I paid $50 for the tube, and that included shipping.  I thought it was a fair deal??  Not a steal, but fair??  Tom.

maustypsu

I use breech plug grease - just a little.  I figure if it is good enough to take 150 grains of black powder exploding right on top of it then I'll never have a choke I can't get off.  Not sure this is best but it's what I use - T-17.