turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

blown pattern

Started by longspur, June 25, 2011, 01:04:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longspur

what are the characteristics of an over-choked pattern? If you see these signs is it pretty decisive or is there other things that would cause the same characteristics?

Longshanks

Wow..tuff question. The guys on here that are a little more scientific about this could probably answer this better than me. But here goes..
1. Check the bore diameter/ choke diameter and make sure the choke constriction you are using is in the ballpark. The choke diameter and the percentage of constriction are two different things. I would check the integrity of the interior of the choke and the barrel and make sure you have a polished surface throughout. Check barrel straightness. See gunsmith if any questions doing this.

2. The shot you are using could cause problems that look like over constriction if for instance you are shooting 4's when you need 6's or 7's. Make sure you have the right shot for the combo. If shooting the wrong wad such as the "flight control wad" out of a wad stripping choke (ported) the pattern may look blown.

3. The signs I have seen is a pattern that starts out tight (<20yds) and seems to open up quickly (30+). I've seen uneven patterns (gaps)and unusually open patterns(flyers) coming out of a tight combo which indicates over constriction.

dirt road ninja

Not sure if I am correct, but I call a "blown pattern" one that has clumps of pellets spread out all over my paper with big gaps between the clumps of pellets. If I get this I'll go to a more open choke and most of the time the pattern will even out. Wish I had a picture of one. Never kept the ugly targets.

dirt road ninja

Also will go up a shot size if I dont have another choke to try.

fountain

Here's one I would consider blown

[attachment deleted by admin]

drenalinld

patterns can be really tight at 20 or even 30 yards, but poor at 40.

longspur

thanks alot guys. sorta what I was thinking, wasn't sure